How long has NCL had this itinerary out of Capetown? It is a possible Total Solar Eclipse cruise

Posted (edited)

We just did the Total Solar Eclipse on the Discovery Princess and are booked for Egypt in 2027 so it is time to start thinking about the next one after that.

This eclipse is a possibility:

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2030_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=-34.96819&Lng=42.28699&Zoom=6&LC=1

I noticed NCL has this cruise in about the right time of year.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/12-day-africa-from-cape-town-to-mauritius-south-africa-and-madagascar-DAWN12CPTMOSLIZRICNOSDIEPDGLUI?destinations=4294949304&numberOfGuests=4294949461&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=DAWN12CPTMOSLIZRICNOSDIEPDGLUI

Is this a new cruise for them or have they being doing it a while?

Thanks.

Edited by bladerunner6
  • Like 1

• bladerunner6 changed the title to How long has NCL had this itinerary out of Capetown? It is a possible Total Solar Eclipse cruise
42 minutes ago, sheltielover256 said:

Are they billing as an eclipse cruise?   I would book it in a second if so!

No they are not billing it as an eclipse cruise- I am just saying they are in the right waters at that time of year and in 2030 it would be an easy modification.

3 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

We just did the Total Solar Eclipse on the Discovery Princess and are booked for Egypt in 2027 so it is time to start thinking about the next one after that.

This eclipse is a possibility:

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2030_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=-34.96819&Lng=42.28699&Zoom=6&LC=1

I noticed NCL has this cruise in about the right time of year.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/12-day-africa-from-cape-town-to-mauritius-south-africa-and-madagascar-DAWN12CPTMOSLIZRICNOSDIEPDGLUI?destinations=4294949304&numberOfGuests=4294949461&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=DAWN12CPTMOSLIZRICNOSDIEPDGLUI

Is this a new cruise for them or have they being doing it a while?

Thanks.

They have been sailing from Capetown for a couple of seasons - I did the Capetown RT in December 2022, not 100% sure but I think that might have been the first season for SA. They've done various modifications since then, impossible to say what they'll be doing in 2030. If they're still doing any kind of route in the area, it's entirely possible they'll do an "eclipse" sailing.  Maybe they'll read this and get on it LOL.

Bladerunner - where are you booked for Egypt in 2027?  I’ve been through two total eclipses (TN in 2017 and TX in 2024) and Egypt would be an amazing place to see one!

Here is an excellent article on the Iceland/Spain eclipse. Sounds like Iceland and the waters around it may have overcast problems, and the duration of totality is a bit short. I have my eye more on the Egyptian eclipse (That’s where I would prefer to go to see it, most likely from land), but that has its own problems of political stability! 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:18 PM, fetch94 said:

Bladerunner - where are you booked for Egypt in 2027?  I’ve been through two total eclipses (TN in 2017 and TX in 2024) and Egypt would be an amazing place to see one!

We are booked on the ship Hamees.