Star Fire - Origin Cabin

Twinflow

[quote name='johnny cruise']There are people who would have just run away for fear of getting in trouble??[/quote]

Absolutely...anything is possible at this point. I would not dismiss any reasonable theory and we should all keep our minds open to many possibilities.

I certainly HOPE this was not the cause...and if asked to lay a bet I'd probably put my money on my theory...if turns out to be something else, then so be it - it is still great mind exercise to try to sleuth it based on visual and eyewitness evidence.

Let's try this scenario - suppose it was "spring-breakers" doing some flaming shots (or other fire-related activity such as freebasing) out on their balcony. They accidently drop (or spill) the flaming liquid on a towel (or other flamable fabric) ... the ship's surrounded by water ... water + fire = no fire ... acting quickly, they fling the burning fabric off their balcony figuring it will fall into the ocean and be extinguished. The wind grabs it and tosses it back onto the ship (as it probably would) - might be onto ANY balcony below and/or downwind of them (especially the "protruding balconies on "C" deck). The flames then spread from the burning fabric to other flamable materials. Such a flaming material could surely be an ignition source ... more easily than a smoldering cigarette. The "spring-breakers", whether aware and scared or just unaware of what they had done, high-tail it out of there. Just a few thoughts from an inquiring mind. And, BTW, I am NOT a smoker and I am NOT trying to defend those that unconsiderately flick their butts off their balconies.

[quote name='spongerob']You are correct, Globaliser. Star Princess was built in Italy. Note - fires in shipyards are unfortunately common. The hot work involved and construction materials spread out add a lot of fuel, plus fire suppression systems might not be in place. There is no connection between these two events.[/QUOTE]

[B]This is the SECOND major fire on the Star Princess.[/B]

"STAR Fire At Monfalcone

June 29, 2001: The 109,000 gt third GRAND PRINCESS class ship, STAR PRINCESS suffered a fire that started on Deck 4 when an acetylene torch lit
debris. The amount of damage is estimated in the millions and six crew
members were hospitalized, their injuries a result of smoke inhalation
and/or fleeing the vessel. Some of the Monfalcone-based Fincantieri
shipyard workers jumped overboard at great risk, but all were eventually
accounted for. "

I believe you may be thinking about Sapphire instead of STAR - Diamond and Sapphire were both built in the same place at the same time, in fact Sapphire was originally named Diamond but due to the fire and the schedule they switched names. Star was built, I believe in 2002, the others in 2004.
I may not be right but I know when I went to Alaska on the Sapphire it was only her 4th trip.

[quote][B]posted by wka orlando[/B]

As I posted on another thread, it will be interesting to see if they investigate the way the Star burned so easily compared to the Diamonds burning up while still being built in Japan. In that fire, there were reports concerned with how easily she went up and the extreme amount of damage from what should have been a small fire. Both ships where built together at the same time in the same yard.
[/quote]

I do believe that Star was built by Fincantieri in Italy. It was the Diamond and Sapphire that were built together in Japan. The fire was actually on the Sapphire and they had the names swapped because the Diamond had bookings that were greater than the Sapphire. Confused----me too!

But rest assured the Star was built by Fincantieri

"Let's try this scenario - suppose it was "spring-breakers" doing some flaming shots"

I have to tell you that this was my first thought as soon as I saw the first reports on CNN, I said to myself right away---must be Spring Breakers--No offense to the responsible College Cruisers, I'm sure you are out there but I have seen College Spring Breakers in action and you could not pay me to travel with them again

I have had Pot Smokers as neighbors to my Balcony Cabin, I have had Cigarette smokers drop their butts on my Balcony, I have also had Orange Peels, bread, apple cores land on my Balcony...It amazes me how people are able to smuggle illegal substances onboard...so anything is possible

If the Star fire report with the 2001 heading and Monfalcone name is a news report, then it is the Star and it is Fincantieri since Monfalcone is one of their shipyards.

The Japan shipyard fire that affected the original Diamond was in 2003.

Shipyard fires are not that uncommon. Explorer of the Seas suffered a bad fire during construction, as did another RCI ship in the early 90's (think it was Majesty)...

[quote name='SuzieQ123']I edited my original post as don't want people to think I'm singling out a specific group here--I'm sure there are responsible college kids.....just as there are responsible smokers, drinkers etc[/quote]

Some of those "spring breakers" carried elderly passengers down the stair wells, and knocked on people's doors alerting them to the fire prior to general alarm being sounded.

I met many of these young men and women as we had two 20 somethings with us and were introduced.

I am in no way belittling anyone here, or accusing anyone of lying...but I have to say I am very surprised at the number of people who mention in these various threads how many things seem to end up on their balconies. Of all my cruises, 12 being balcony rooms, at various levels and locations throughout the ship, starboard, port, and aft...I might be able to recall two items ever ending up on my balcony - out of 100-120 days at sea with a balcony - maybe a drink napkin or some form of paper wrapper residue on one or two occasions. Even that never stuck in my mind, and I couldn't even say for sure if anything ever did fall on my balcony...I just admit that it may be a possibility that something fell on the balcony at some point. I can distinctly say that a cigarette hasn't fallen on my balcony, as I would take note of that, being a nonsmoker.

I have seen stuff go overboard...intentionally and unintentionally. I'm sure some unlucky folk below have had some items end up on their balcony. But I am surprised at the sheer unluckiness of some who mention tens or dozens of items on their balcony, almost daily, during a cruise!

[quote name='zackiedawg']I am in no way belittling anyone here, or accusing anyone of lying...but I have to say I am very surprised at the number of people who mention in these various threads how many things seem to end up on their balconies. Of all my cruises, 12 being balcony rooms, at various levels and locations throughout the ship, starboard, port, and aft...I might be able to recall two items ever ending up on my balcony - out of 100-120 days at sea with a balcony - maybe a drink napkin or some form of paper wrapper residue on one or two occasions. Even that never stuck in my mind, and I couldn't even say for sure if anything ever did fall on my balcony...I just admit that it may be a possibility that something fell on the balcony at some point. I can distinctly say that a cigarette hasn't fallen on my balcony, as I would take note of that, being a nonsmoker.

I have seen stuff go overboard...intentionally and unintentionally. I'm sure some unlucky folk below have had some items end up on their balcony. But I am surprised at the sheer unluckiness of some who mention tens or dozens of items on their balcony, almost daily, during a cruise![/quote]

I concur. I've been on about the same number of cruises as you, and I've (almost) never had problems with garbage winding up on any of my balconies, either . . . like you, maybe a cocktail napkin or some such item. Can we be the only lucky ones?:confused:

A lot of people leave their balcony doors open via bungee cord. A lit cigarette most likely was flung off a balcony, was caught in the wind flow along shipside and entered one of these open doors. I have woken to cig butts, napkins etc on my balcony before.

Regarding balconies burning-Steel melts! In fact it can be it`s own worst enemy because as steel heats up, it`s own molecules begin to vibrate vigorously and add greater heat.

As said earlier, drying towels, bedding, plastics, liquor in cabins...Alot of fuel!

[quote name='zackiedawg'] I can distinctly say that a cigarette hasn't fallen on my balcony, as I would take note of that, being a nonsmoker.

We have had cigarettes and other things land on our balconies on more than one occasion. We did notice because we are non-smokers.

We had a lovely cabin with a balcony at the back of ship on one occasion about two floors below the outdoor eating/bar area. Because the ship design made the cabins/balconies on each floor project outward little farther on each deck the lower you went, we were forever catching stuff from above. Worse, people would look over the rail above and call down to us, etc. No topless sunbathing on that balcony!

"John(and Julie Nightingale) of Old Hall Road, Brampton, said: "We were coming out of the ship's disco to wait for the sunrise on our balcony when we saw what we thought was a fire on a balcony below ours. "I shouted my brother-in-law to ask him if he thought it was a fire. Then it became a blazing inferno." John raced to set off the fire alarm then the four of them ran down the ship's corridors banging on cabin doors to wake up fellow holidaymakers and get them to assemble at the muster stations wearing life jackets."

[URL="http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=728&ArticleID=1410947"]http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=728&ArticleID=1410947[/URL]

[quote name='claud925']I concur. I've been on about the same number of cruises as you, and I've (almost) never had problems with garbage winding up on any of my balconies, either . . . like you, maybe a cocktail napkin or some such item. Can we be the only lucky ones?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Add me to the lisr of clean balconies.

While sitting on our balcony on a recent cruise we heard a 'clanking' sound and then witnessed a soft drink can flying in the wind down the side of the ship..it eventually landed on a lower deck further aft than we were.
I assume it had fallen or was thrown from a deck above..by the sound it made and the way it landed it was not empty. If I had not seen for myself how the wind carried that along the side of the ship and then back in I wouldn't have believed it!
Never any debris on our balcony in many cruises either but my point is..things that go over the side seem to be drawn back in..as an earlier poster suggested...a flaming towel perhaps tossed over could certainly blow back onto a lower deck and do some damage if undetected!

[quote name='claud925']I concur. I've been on about the same number of cruises as you, and I've (almost) never had problems with garbage winding up on any of my balconies, either . . . like you, maybe a cocktail napkin or some such item. Can we be the only lucky ones?:confused:[/quote]

The same here, we have never found anything on our balcony ever, we must always be on the wrong cuises.

Of course I am also not trying to validate a claim that there is a veritable wave of debris wafting over the side either, constantly clumping together on each and every non-smokers balcony.

Could it possibly be that some of the more voiciferous non-smokers, wishing to cast aspersions on the vile habits of smokers, and how they are subjected to such nauseating and humiliating experiences, that basically ruin their cruise?

Nah, couldn't be. :D

Cheers,
Peter

Archived