Vista Bordeaux

Posted (edited)

I think Vista should be small enough to dock in the city centre.

When I've looked at this previously, it seems that O's ships dock in the centre if it is staying overnight (as Vista is on its 2025 cruise) but if only there for the day, they dock near the river mouth. 

As you know, I've previously planned for this broad itinerary, including Bordeaux. Last time, I emailed the port authority, in French and English, to ask exactly where the ship would berth. They replied giving me a berth number, which I was able to find on a map. Meant I was able to plan a walk starting at the correct point. I'll no doubt do that again but much nearer the time (maybe a month or so before) and I'll report that back on the roll call. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

We were on Vista last August for an overnight stay. We docked right in town, along with a couple much larger ships. We walked to meet our private tour group in about 15 minutes, but it’s really only five minutes into the city.

Jim

On 5/6/2024 at 1:35 AM, MarcyLondon said:

Does anyone know if Vista docks or will dock closeby the town centre?  I have heard that larger ships have to dock further away

Marcy

Last year we docked in Le Verdon which is about an hour from Bordeaux.  I hope your cruise docks in town center for you.   Its a challenge getting to/from the Le Verdon.  Some of it may depend on water levels....

2 hours ago, vaitape said:

Looks like the boonies...anyone know about shuttle buses into town? 

https://www.bordeaux-port.fr › sites › default › files › PLAQUETTE grattequina-web.pdf

Looking at the Oceania Shuttles list I only see Bordeaux and Le Verdon:

Bordeaux (city) ............ Dock at town so no shuttle

Bordeaux (Le Verdon) .... shore excursion required

TravelingJimmy: Thank you. I looked at the shuttle list too but couldn't find any info re Grattequina. 

Anybody else been docked at Grattequina?

Posted (edited)

I don't know how Vista and the other O ships like Riviera & Marina compare in size and depth.  But I know that one of the larger ships docked in the heart of Bordeaux last year for an overnight.  I tracked her on Marine Traffic.  So I'm guessing Vista will too, assuming she's overnighting. Here's where Sirena (smaller ship) docked - near the Bourse.  It was great to walk off the ship.  And we had a lot of interested people looking on as we got tied up!

If you stop in Le Verdon, it's due to tides.  We were there for a couple hours and had to stay onboard unless we were taking an O excursion to Bordeaux (to meet ship later after tour). 

bordeaux.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
forgot picture