Croatia ports - near town/walking centers?

Going on a Celebrity cruise in July that stops at Zadar, Dubrovnik (overnight) and Split. Also stops in Kotor, Montenegro. For those that have been (our cruise is Celebrity, but other ships may have to go to same ports) - how far are the ports from the city centers? Walkable or need to take a cab or some other paid form of transport? 

For Dubrovnik specifically, we are staying overnight, so is it easy to get back to the ship later at night? My frame of reference for this is last year we did an overnight in Livorno, and getting from train station to port/ship was not so easy. No cabs available at night. Had to take a bus to a stop then transfer to a different bus to get back to the port, etc. Hoping Dubrovnik is not like that!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ebs0303 said:

Going on a Celebrity cruise in July that stops at Zadar, Dubrovnik (overnight) and Split. Also stops in Kotor, Montenegro.

Zadar we docked in an out of town location at the new cruise terminal  and used the 9for fee) ship shuttle to get into and back from town.  It dropped off/picked up very close to the Sea Organ on the waterfront, from there only a couple of minutes walk to the centre along the promenade.

Split you dock only a 10 minute or so walk from the centre.  Walk past the bus station and ferry docks and you are there. You can see the town from your berth.

Kotor you will either dock or tender, if the latter the tender point is in the center, as is the dock.  You only need cross the main road to enter the old Town through one of the gates.

Dubrovnik has public buses which run to the port at GRUZ from Pile Gate .  My understanding is that they can run until around midnight, but you can easily check bus timetables and routes online. Given that Dubrovnik is a very busy tourist city, there should also be taxis available from Pile, but I have no knowledge of the working hours of taxi drivers in the  late evening, nor do I know the timings of ship shuttle buses in the evenings.  As the town can be very hot and crowded, you may find that after a full day sightseeing, you may be ready to return earlier than you might anticipate.

As they will contain lots of useful info, have you searched for past threads for each of your ports?  if not, choose from these:

ZADAR

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=zadar&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

SPLIT

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=split&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

KOTOR

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=kotor&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

DUBROVNIK

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=dubrovnik&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

In Kotor you will tender to the dock. The old city of Kotor is directly across the road from the dock and there is a pedestrian underpass of the road with escalators so you don't even have to cross the road.

In Dubrovnik the port is a few km from the old city. When I was there in 2022 there was a Celebrity shuttle which cost USD15.00pp for a return ticket though I have read reports that it is free this year. We walked and it took about an hour to get from the ship to the Pile Gate.

You can check out the whatsinport website for information about your ports and transport options.