Memphis to New Orleans - Serenade

Posted (edited)

Looking into this river cruise, we have sailed many ocean cruises but never a river cruise. I have a lot of questions and concerns.

First I will start off by saying we are a couple in out late 70's early 80's with slight mobility issues, walk with a cane, very slow and are non drinkers. We decided we cannot do ocean cruises anymore or go out of the country due to health reasons and do not want to take the chance of having a medical emergency out of the US. I did like the activities on the big ships, spending time at the pool, trivia, silly games and worry that I might be bored at times but my DH can take a nap anytime. 

How long are the stops that they make along the way all day or just a few hours?

Is here usually walkable sights at the stops/ports, shopping like at a port?

Is there one included excursion at each stop/port? Are there other excursions for a fee?

Breakfast, lunch & dinner are they all served in the main dining room? All open seating?

At breakfast is the menu the same everyday? Eggs over easy, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles freshly made?

Is nightly Entertainment held in one of the lounges?

Comedy, music groups, singers etc.  What time is this usually and how long?

After the entertainment is there any other type of activities?  Movies somewhere? 

We like to end our day with a bit of TV what is the situation for TV stations, streaming, movies?

I would really appreciate any info you can pass along.

Edited by Lorey2007

6 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Looking into this river cruise, we have sailed many ocean cruises but never a river cruise. I have a lot of questions and concerns.

First I will start off by saying we are a couple in out late 70's early 80's with slight mobility issues, walk with a cane, very slow and are non drinkers. We decided we cannot do ocean cruises anymore or go out of the country due to health reasons and do not want to take the chance of having a medical emergency out of the US. I did like the activities on the big ships, spending time at the pool, trivia, silly games and worry that I might be bored at times but my DH can take a nap anytime. 

How long are the stops that they make along the way all day or just a most stops are a full day, 8 to 5. Some ports will be a half-day, and occasionally you may do an overnight.

Is here usually walkable sights at the stops/ports, shopping like at a port? Depends on the port. Some places you will be right in the middle of the action and other places you may dock at a remote marina or other location.

Is there one included excursion at each stop/port? Are there other excursions for a fee? usually at every port, there’s at least one complementary excursion. It may be a local loop hop on hop off bus or other activity. Typically using your cruise badge you can get into a museum or gallery for free. There are always extra cost excursions. Most are between 25 and $75. They do have some premium excursions that are more money. 

Breakfast, lunch & dinner are they all served in the main dining room? All open seating? All open seating, some of the newer ships also have a café on one of the rear decks that serve a light breakfast and lunch.

At breakfast is the menu the same everyday? Eggs over easy, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles freshly made? Yes, the menu is pretty well standard breakfast fare. However, every day they have a specialty item. Might be eggs Benedict might be blueberry pancakes might be a special quiche.

Is nightly Entertainment held in one of the lounges?

Comedy, music groups, singers etc.  What time is this usually and how long?

After the entertainment is there any other type of activities?  Movies somewhere? evening entertainment is in the big lounge and usually lasts an hour from 8:30 to 9:30 usually at 9:30 most of the passengers head for their cabins. Rarely will you see a movie. But there are movies on the TV.

We like to end our day with a bit of TV what is the situation for TV stations, streaming, movies? There is a decent choice of TV stations and movies. Don’t think they have streaming. They do have starlink

Wi-Fi and you could probably stream a movie on an iPad or laptop.

I would really appreciate any info you can pass along.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BaumD said:

OMG thank you so much for all the info.  I asked some questions on the other social site and got so many snarky comments, especially about the TV, and no answers.

Now I just need to decide which month I should book weather wise Apr, May or June. Do you have any advise on that? 

My wife and I returned from my lower Mississippi cruise on the Serenade two weeks ago and I mostly agree with BaumD.  I'd like to add that the crew was super friendly and were very accommodating to the needs of us older folks.  Also our favorite part of the cruise was the happy hour, from 5:30 to 6:30, in the River Lounge where two excellent musicians played and sang and we were provided with an array of very tasty appetizers.

13 minutes ago, MOcruiserman said:

My wife and I returned from my lower Mississippi cruise on the Serenade two weeks ago and I mostly agree with BaumD.  I'd like to add that the crew was super friendly and were very accommodating to the needs of us older folks.  Also our favorite part of the cruise was the happy hour, from 5:30 to 6:30, in the River Lounge where two excellent musicians played and sang and we were provided with an array of very tasty appetizers.

Thank you, did you do the Graceland pre cruise pkg add on? If your trip was mid to late April what was the weather like more Spring or Summer? 

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thank you, did you do the Graceland pre cruise pkg add on? If your trip was mid to late April what was the weather like more Spring or Summer? 

No we didn't as neither of us are big fans of Elvis.  The weather was good, mid 70's to 80, no rain.

• Thanks 1