Port charges question

Recently my wife and I went on a short 4day cruise on the Elation. Due to engine issues they couldn't get the ship up to full speed, so this caused us to miss 1 of our 2 ports of call. We missed Freeport which I had booked a beach day. They refunded the excursion and also gave every room $100 onboard credit. A lot of people thought this was not enough since it wasn't a weather related issue, I didn't really give it much thought until I started thinking that they basically were giving us our Per person port charge back for that port. Not some kind of good faith measure on the cruise lines part. Am I wrong or right? I've been on over 20 cruises and have missed a few ports over time, But never thought that we had prepaid port charges for ports we didn't enter. Thanks 

10 minutes ago, randyfipps said:

Recently my wife and I went on a short 4day cruise on the Elation. Due to engine issues they couldn't get the ship up to full speed, so this caused us to miss 1 of our 2 ports of call. We missed Freeport which I had booked a beach day. They refunded the excursion and also gave every room $100 onboard credit. A lot of people thought this was not enough since it wasn't a weather related issue, I didn't really give it much thought until I started thinking that they basically were giving us our Per person port charge back for that port. Not some kind of good faith measure on the cruise lines part. Am I wrong or right? I've been on over 20 cruises and have missed a few ports over time, But never thought that we had prepaid port charges for ports we didn't enter. Thanks 

You are wrong. Port charges are much less than $100. In the past, when enough people complained, Carnival decided fine, we will only refund port charges, and kept the goodwill offering.

For 2 people our port charges $99 per person, so I figured rounded off at 2 ports for $99 per person, that half of that would be $49.50 per person per port and they gave $100 per room not per passenger back, so my fault then they gave us back a quarter each.

The Elation does the Bahamas run and the 4 day is Freport and Nassau, witch means that there is only one port charge covers both ports so as long as you ported in either Nassau or Freeport they don't have to give you anything back.  

First, the port charges are for all ports on your cruise, including the embarkation/debarkation (same) port, so there are 4 ports on your cruise.

It is not true that there is only one port charge for two ports in a country.  The port charges are for wharfage (essentially dock space rental), pilots, and other things, but they are not "country" specific, they are port specific.  This would be like saying that NYC and Miami split the port fees for a cruise from one to the other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1