Luau's - will we have time?

woodley

We are sailing on the Winds in October and I would really like to go to a Luau. Will we have time to attend one when we are in Maui as the ship departs at 9pm? This is the only day that we are on an island after 5pm. Our only other day would be our pre cruise stay the night before the cruise in Waikiki. Can anyone give me information on the luaus in Honolulu or recomendations for ones you may have enjoyed. Thanks.

I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Hawaii. We did the Germaine's Luau. They have free roundtrip transportation provided from Waikiki. The pickup time is 4:45PM and you return at 9:45PM. We enjoyed Germaines's Luau, it is located on a beautiful beach when you arrive you are greeted with a shell lei. The hawaiian buffet was tasty and they put on a great show. The cost is $65 for a adult, we booked for ten so they gave us a small discount. It was a fun evening.

If you decide to go to a luau, I would urge that you check out what the ship is offering as as a tour. If they do not have one, that would be a pretty clear indicator to me that you won't have time. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money and not be able to have the full experience. If they do offer one, I would either booked through the ship or make sure you keep the same time schedule as they do. The ship will wait for ship excursions, it won't wait for you.

Also remember, if you are sailing at 9 p.m., that means you have to be on the ship prior to that, say around 8:15 at the latest. On Princess, they post the absolute last moment that you can board. Perhaps your cruise will do the same. Frankly, I would save the luau for after the trip...

Happy sails,

Charlie

Just got off the Wind Mar. 11th. Our group did Germain's on Oahu and the Old Lahaina on Maui.

Germain's was good, free bus ride from Waikiki and entertainment from your bus guide. The setting on a beach is nice, the food and picnic tables were ok, with a good show.

Old Lahaina Luau - is rated the best on the islands for good reasons. This is really a first class production, the setting, facilities, service, food and drinks were superior. Try the taro wrapped pork and the guava chicken, and ask for a triple on that Green Passion, it'll set you free. The performance was better done then Germain's with authentic instruments and story.

The only downside, we had to leave early to catch the tender back to the Wind.

The ship does offer a luau, but after seeing pictures from it, I am unimpressed

If you decide to go to a luau, I would urge that you check out what the ship is offering as as a tour. If they do not have one, that would be a pretty clear indicator to me that you won't have time.

I agree. While many things can be booked privately, a luau is a late event, best to stick with the ship's offer.

• 5 weeks later...

On the Old Lahaina site it said it lasted until 8:45pm. I would save the luau for another time. From what i read the NCL excursion is awful so i would save your money for another trip or do one at a pre-cruise night stay.

Archived