Livorno on a Sunday

JonSch7

We will be stopping in Livorno while on the MSC Grandiosa June 2nd.  We were interested in going to the Mercato Centrale Market, but see that it is closed on Sundays.  Will most shops/markets be closed on Sunday?  Would it be worth going all the way to Florence where more options may be open?

I was there last year, I think , on a different cruise line.   I got off the ship kind of earlyish (maybe 10 or so)  and took the bus to Livorno (I think it was a free shuttle from the ship).  Most things around the square were closed IIRC but I did see a couple shops opening and I stopped for gelato and coffee.  Aside from that, and a bunch of tourists, I don't remember seeing much of anything open at all (a random church here and there).

You might be better going to Florence.  I didn't care as I'd only planned a quick look around and a snack, which is what I got.  Hope that helps.  (I should have gone to Florence but I got a case of  I'm too lazy to do much-itis.  LOL)  

Posted (edited)

I was in Livorno on a Sunday in June 2022. Almost everything was closed other than a few cafes. We walked around, visited a few churches before the Sunday services started and also went to the Fortezza Nuovo. We got the port shuttle to Livorno at 10.10am and were back on the ship at 1.20pm. This suited us as it was the last day of the cruise and we had to check in for flights and pack and had been to Florence, Pisa and the Cinque Terre previously. You may be better to plan a trip to Pisa or Lucca unless you would just like a short stroll before returning to the ship.

Edited by PurpleTraveller