Tui/ Marella assistance.

Hi all.

We are due to be away in a couple of weeks time but unfortunately my wife has badly sprained her knee.

She is struggling to walk at the moment and her GP has told her that it will take time to heal.

Has anyone onhere used the TUI assistance and if so where does it start and does it continue at the destination airport and cruise port?

Whether we go or not hinges on how much help we can get Primarily at the airports/ port.

Thanks BJ.

Hi Brummi

we have flown from Manchester airport twice using TUI assistance both in Manchester and once in Gran Canaria and once in Tenerife. We can both walk minimal distances but I cannot stand so we both need wheelchairs. On both trips I pre booked the assistance and it showed up on our cruise documents (Marella). We cannot fault the help at Manchester both on the outward and inward journeys. The assistance at Gran Canaria was also fine. But Tenerife was appalling. We were abandoned twice on arrival. On one occasion I didn’t know where my husband was and he didn’t know where I was.  Very scary. The return journey was just as bad. We were left standing outside the departure hall for 30 minutes while the 2 TUI people nattered way to each other. I was really struggling. They couldn’t have cared less.

TBH the whole assistance thing really spoiled our holiday and we decided there and then not to do any more flying with anyone but we will in future use coach travel to Southampton for our cruises.  A real shame. 
So there you have it. I would add that on the Tenerife journey, most of the people also getting assistance vowed never to use it again but to get to Southampton for their cruises by road.

hope your wife’s knee improves soon but good luck with TUI assistance!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi all.

We are due to be away in a couple of weeks time but unfortunately my wife has badly sprained her knee.

She is struggling to walk at the moment and her GP has told her that it will take time to heal.

Has anyone onhere used the TUI assistance and if so where does it start and does it continue at the destination airport and cruise port?

Whether we go or not hinges on how much help we can get Primarily at the airports/ port.

Thanks BJ.

Hi BJ our thoughts are with you, sorry I can't help but hope all goes well for you both. Big decisions for you. 🤞 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the prompt reply Pennib. I think that we may well be asking TUI for assistance and hoping for the best🤷🏻‍♂️ like yourself my wife can walk short distances but standing is a problem and we are particularly concerned regarding the queues at the airports bag drop and security, Birmingham airports TUI gates are usually at the far end of the terminal. The destination airport is Dalaman Turkey which to us is an unknown so that could be either an adventure or a disaster.🤦🏻

We will see.

Keep well BJ😉

4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi BJ our thoughts are with you, sorry I can't help but hope all goes well for you both. Big decisions for you. 🤞 

Hi PC.

Hoping that yourself and Mrs PC are keeping well.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.😉

At the moment we are thinking “Go for it” what’s the worst that can happen?

But I really don’t know if I could manage the luggage and carry her on my back for any distance.🤔😂

We will see.

look after each other…Regards BJ.

Are you planning on taking a wheelchair for her? The airports usually have ones you can borrow too, but never used that option myself.

I've had no problems at UK airports, and barely any problems with non-UK ones when using the airport special assistance. TUI can book special assistance at the airports for you, and if using a wheelchair arrange for the ambilift to put you on / take you off the aircraft. At the airport if you let yourself known at the special assistance desks they can arrange for someone to push the wheelchair to the bag drop off and then take you through security too.

I've only flown to Palma/Majorca for a Marella cruise, both times I've had no problems with assistance that end. They've offered to help with getting the suitcases on arrival too.

At the port, you don't have to worry about the suitcases as they're taken straight to your cabin. If you're using a wheelchair they usually fast track you through the queue to check-in too.

• Thanks 1

Just as well you are not going in and out of Antalya airport. What a nightmare that place is. Can’t help with Dalaman.

anyway, I am sure you will have a good holiday!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sicknote said:

Are you planning on taking a wheelchair for her? The airports usually have ones you can borrow too, but never used that option myself.

I've had no problems at UK airports, and barely any problems with non-UK ones when using the airport special assistance. TUI can book special assistance at the airports for you, and if using a wheelchair arrange for the ambilift to put you on / take you off the aircraft. At the airport if you let yourself known at the special assistance desks they can arrange for someone to push the wheelchair to the bag drop off and then take you through security too.

I've only flown to Palma/Majorca for a Marella cruise, both times I've had no problems with assistance that end. They've offered to help with getting the suitcases on arrival too.

At the port, you don't have to worry about the suitcases as they're taken straight to your cabin. If you're using a wheelchair they usually fast track you through the queue to check-in too.

Hi Sicknote.

Thanks for your valuable input.

We have seen the assistance points at the airports but your confirmation on how it all works is really useful.👍🏻

Keep well.

2 hours ago, pennib said:

Just as well you are not going in and out of Antalya airport. What a nightmare that place is. Can’t help with Dalaman.

anyway, I am sure you will have a good holiday!!

Well it is what it is so we will see how it pans out.😳

My other half is determined that we are going so as I said in a earlier post it will be an adventure or a disaster.🤷🏻‍♂️

Keep well.😉

15 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi PC.

Hoping that yourself and Mrs PC are keeping well.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.😉

At the moment we are thinking “Go for it” what’s the worst that can happen?

But I really don’t know if I could manage the luggage and carry her on my back for any distance.🤔😂

We will see.

look after each other…Regards BJ.

Hi BJ All ok here thanks. Could I suggest you take less luggage 😂😂

I am presently on Discovery and sailed from Marmaris last Monday (12 May).

I have quite severe mobility issues so use airport assistance all the time and couldn’t travel without it.

I highly recommend that you contact the Tui assistance helpline as they will be able to arrange the help you need and provide you with your seat allocation.

I would also recommend that you use the previous day bag drop option as that made it a lot quicker to get through the rush at BHX.

I am an avid note taker and below is my diary entry for our bag drop on the Sunday and our Monday flight from BHX to Dalaman and then the transfer to Marmaris port. I took a mobility scooter so we had a private taxi from Dalaman airport to the ship. You will probably be allocated the coach transfer.

I hope your wife recovers quickly from her injury.

Sunday 12 May
TUI Luggage drop.

• we received an email from TUI a couple of weeks before our flight to offer us the option to do a luggage drop the day before our flight.
  • This service was available between 14.00 and 21.00
  • The offer included a chance to park the car for an hour in the ‘premium drop off parking area’ at a cost of £4.
  • We needed to have checked in on line and printed our boarding passes before arriving at the drop-off.
  • We needed to show our passes and passports at the desk before the luggage was accepted.
  • We arrived at the parking area at 16.00 and found a disabled space.
  • We took the 2 big cases plus the mobility scooter to the drop-off desk where the cases were checked in but they wouldn’t accept the mobility scooter at that time.
  • When we went to the car park customer service kiosk to pay our £4 we were told we could park free if we had our blue badge……a very helpful service. 
  • Monday 13 May
    It was chaotic bedlam inside BHX  airport when we arrived at 04.30 with really long queues for people to get to the check in desks.
  • There were a lot of people requiring the assistance so we had to queue to register our arrival. Thank goodness we didn’t have the big suitcases with us!!
    We then had to wait for an assistant to take us to the desk so we could check in the mobility scooter. It took a while to do all the paperwork and then we had to take it to the ‘heavy bags’ desk to get it taken to the plane.
    Our assistant then had to take us back to the assistance holding area to wait for someone else to take us through security.
  • By this time we had given up the hope of using the DragonPass lounge as time was moving on.
  • After a while with no sign of an assistant, Jim decided that he would push me so we set off and were able to use the priority security lane so got through fairly quickly although my medication scissors were spotted so they checked my case. Luckily, I was allowed to keep them!
    Once through security, we got a W.H. Smith’s meal deal and ate the sandwiches in the departure lounge before moving to our gate.
  • once at the gate, I had the wheelchair assistant to push me to the aircraft.
    Tui flight.
    • the plane was a Boeing 737-800
    • Our seats were 2C&D so were were across the aisle from each other.
    • The flight took off at 08.10 - 35 minutes late - but the pilot made up most of the time.
    • It was an uneventful flight with only a few minutes turbulence.
    • Once we had landed, I had to wait until the majority of passengers had disembarked and then the wheelchair assistance was waiting.
    Dalaman airport.
    • the airport is modern and very large so I was glad of the assistance
    • We had our passports stamped and photographs taken.
    • Fortunately, our plane was the only one in at the time so everything went smoothly.
    • NB - there were toilets along the corridor between the passport control area and the baggage reclaim hall. The toilets in the reclaim hall are all at one end (our carousel was the furthest away from them) so it can be quite a walk.
    • Our luggage arrived quite quickly but the mobility scooter was one of the last things to appear and came with the pushchairs.
    • There were Tui reps and Marella reps waiting to direct us to the transfer vehicles.
    • The airport has a currency exchange bureau and a gift shop in the baggage reclamation hall and there is a cafe just outside.
    When we had collected everything, it was a bit of a walk to our transfer point especially as the closed mobility scooter has a mind of its own when going down slopes and turning corners.
    As we got close to the car park there was an information desk for people with assistance needs. This is where we were met by our taxi driver, Saidad, who helped to get all our luggage to his taxi.
    It was a very clean, comfortable, 8 seater cab with plenty of room for the suitcases and scooter.
    The transfer took 1.25 hours along a fast highway. It was interesting to see the towns, villages, agricultural areas, rugged hills and lush vegetation.
    Saidad stopped at a small convenience store and bought us a bottle of water each which was a lovely gesture.
    We finally reached Marmaris port at about 16.00 and I was surprised to see long queues for boarding.
    Marmaris port.
    • The port is basically used for ferries to nearby islands and Rhodes plus private yachts.
    • Marella is now using it as Discovery’s home port for the summer season which gives options for tours in the Eastern Mediterranean.
    • There are 2 buildings. The first was used to check in for the cruise. There were ship’s crew members to supervise the collection of luggage, hand over cabin key cards, scrutinise passports and obtain credit card details.
    • A port employee provided wheelchair assistance to take me to the check in where I had priority.
    • Once checked in we were moved on to the second building which had Turkish passport control and the security check. There was a duty free shop once through the security area.
    • It was a longish walk from there to the ship’s gangway. There was a ‘golf cart’ shuttle service from the security area to the gangway for those who needed it.
    We were on board the ship at 17.00 and we had all our cases by 18.00.
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

I am presently on Discovery and sailed from Marmaris last Monday (12 May).

I have quite severe mobility issues so use airport assistance all the time and couldn’t travel without it.

I highly recommend that you contact the Tui assistance helpline as they will be able to arrange the help you need and provide you with your seat allocation.

I would also recommend that you use the previous day bag drop option as that made it a lot quicker to get through the rush at BHX.

I am an avid note taker and below is my diary entry for our bag drop on the Sunday and our Monday flight from BHX to Dalaman and then the transfer to Marmaris port. I took a mobility scooter so we had a private taxi from Dalaman airport to the ship. You will probably be allocated the coach transfer.

I hope your wife recovers quickly from her injury.

Sunday 12 May
TUI Luggage drop.

• we received an email from TUI a couple of weeks before our flight to offer us the option to do a luggage drop the day before our flight.
  • This service was available between 14.00 and 21.00
  • The offer included a chance to park the car for an hour in the ‘premium drop off parking area’ at a cost of £4.
  • We needed to have checked in on line and printed our boarding passes before arriving at the drop-off.
  • We needed to show our passes and passports at the desk before the luggage was accepted.
  • We arrived at the parking area at 16.00 and found a disabled space.
  • We took the 2 big cases plus the mobility scooter to the drop-off desk where the cases were checked in but they wouldn’t accept the mobility scooter at that time.
  • When we went to the car park customer service kiosk to pay our £4 we were told we could park free if we had our blue badge……a very helpful service. 
  • Monday 13 May
    It was chaotic bedlam inside BHX  airport when we arrived at 04.30 with really long queues for people to get to the check in desks.
  • There were a lot of people requiring the assistance so we had to queue to register our arrival. Thank goodness we didn’t have the big suitcases with us!!
    We then had to wait for an assistant to take us to the desk so we could check in the mobility scooter. It took a while to do all the paperwork and then we had to take it to the ‘heavy bags’ desk to get it taken to the plane.
    Our assistant then had to take us back to the assistance holding area to wait for someone else to take us through security.
  • By this time we had given up the hope of using the DragonPass lounge as time was moving on.
  • After a while with no sign of an assistant, Jim decided that he would push me so we set off and were able to use the priority security lane so got through fairly quickly although my medication scissors were spotted so they checked my case. Luckily, I was allowed to keep them!
    Once through security, we got a W.H. Smith’s meal deal and ate the sandwiches in the departure lounge before moving to our gate.
  • once at the gate, I had the wheelchair assistant to push me to the aircraft.
    Tui flight.
    • the plane was a Boeing 737-800
    • Our seats were 2C&D so were were across the aisle from each other.
    • The flight took off at 08.10 - 35 minutes late - but the pilot made up most of the time.
    • It was an uneventful flight with only a few minutes turbulence.
    • Once we had landed, I had to wait until the majority of passengers had disembarked and then the wheelchair assistance was waiting.
    Dalaman airport.
    • the airport is modern and very large so I was glad of the assistance
    • We had our passports stamped and photographs taken.
    • Fortunately, our plane was the only one in at the time so everything went smoothly.
    • NB - there were toilets along the corridor between the passport control area and the baggage reclaim hall. The toilets in the reclaim hall are all at one end (our carousel was the furthest away from them) so it can be quite a walk.
    • Our luggage arrived quite quickly but the mobility scooter was one of the last things to appear and came with the pushchairs.
    • There were Tui reps and Marella reps waiting to direct us to the transfer vehicles.
    • The airport has a currency exchange bureau and a gift shop in the baggage reclamation hall and there is a cafe just outside.
    When we had collected everything, it was a bit of a walk to our transfer point especially as the closed mobility scooter has a mind of its own when going down slopes and turning corners.
    As we got close to the car park there was an information desk for people with assistance needs. This is where we were met by our taxi driver, Saidad, who helped to get all our luggage to his taxi.
    It was a very clean, comfortable, 8 seater cab with plenty of room for the suitcases and scooter.
    The transfer took 1.25 hours along a fast highway. It was interesting to see the towns, villages, agricultural areas, rugged hills and lush vegetation.
    Saidad stopped at a small convenience store and bought us a bottle of water each which was a lovely gesture.
    We finally reached Marmaris port at about 16.00 and I was surprised to see long queues for boarding.
    Marmaris port.
    • The port is basically used for ferries to nearby islands and Rhodes plus private yachts.
    • Marella is now using it as Discovery’s home port for the summer season which gives options for tours in the Eastern Mediterranean.
    • There are 2 buildings. The first was used to check in for the cruise. There were ship’s crew members to supervise the collection of luggage, hand over cabin key cards, scrutinise passports and obtain credit card details.
    • A port employee provided wheelchair assistance to take me to the check in where I had priority.
    • Once checked in we were moved on to the second building which had Turkish passport control and the security check. There was a duty free shop once through the security area.
    • It was a longish walk from there to the ship’s gangway. There was a ‘golf cart’ shuttle service from the security area to the gangway for those who needed it.
    We were on board the ship at 17.00 and we had all our cases by 18.00.

Hi Izzy. Thanks for your detailed answer to my query,so very useful.

We have applied for assistance from TUI this morning and now knowing what to expect has put us at ease with the whole process.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my wife’s injury.

Hope you are having a great trip.

Keep well Regards BJ.

Edited by Brummijam

On 5/14/2024 at 1:00 PM, Andy24v said:

Are you going on Discovery on 27th May?

Andy

Hi Andy.

We embark on 3rd June hopefully.🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 3:00 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi BJ All ok here thanks. Could I suggest you take less luggage 😂😂

Hi PC.

But would you be brave enough to suggest it to her?😂😂

Edited by Brummijam

30 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Hi PC.

But would you be brave enough to suggest it to her?😂😂

Think I said YOU take less. What ever we are just envious have a great time if you go. Is it the Adriatic if so it's our favourite of all even the Caribbean 🤞

• Haha 1

Hi every one just had to cancel our stay and cruise in Mallorca, the wife broke her arm and was told not to cruise or fly. 

Went into T.A in So,ton and asked if i could move the holiday to another date or even canaries in the winter, but no we were 29 days before departure and that came into loosing 70% of the holiday price, we are well insured with stay sure so have to go through the proper channels ect, Hospital and doctors and just wait .

3 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Think I said YOU take less. What ever we are just envious have a great time if you go. Is it the Adriatic if so it's our favourite of all even the Caribbean 🤞

Hi PC.

Don’t be envious, get yourself booked up. My 88 year old Ma in law and wife recently did a 12 night Saga trip, Door to door pick up and drop off and had a great time. 😉

Our upcoming trip hopefully is alternating Turkey and Greece and includes Cyprus,a few places we haven’t been to yet so hopefully it will happen.

Keep well both.😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi every one just had to cancel our stay and cruise in Mallorca, the wife broke her arm and was told not to cruise or fly. 

Went into T.A in So,ton and asked if i could move the holiday to another date or even canaries in the winter, but no we were 29 days before departure and that came into loosing 70% of the holiday price, we are well insured with stay sure so have to go through the proper channels ect, Hospital and doctors and just wait .

Sorry to hear that, what a disappointment.

The upside is Staysure are a pretty good company to deal with in my experience.

keep well both.😉

13 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Good morning Howard sorry to hear of your BHs accident hope it's not too painful and she recovers quickly. Fingers crossed for you both with your claim.