are aarp gift cards always available

They are almost always available.  I have seen the Carnival gift card not available in the $500 denomination for a short time but they were back within a day or two.  They also have Princess and HAL gift cards.  They help me save 10% on my Carnival cruises and saved me 8% on a Princess cruise I just booked.

Posted (edited)

We book directly with the cruise line and do NOT use a travel agent. If you use a travel agent for your booking, you'll have to go through them to apply the gift cards. That said, just today, for the first time I bought 3 AARP $100 Carnival Gift Cards for a cruise in December. I have scoured CC reading about the Gift Cards, restrictions, problems, etc. The Carnival Cards seem to be the easiest to use, the RCCL not so much. Anyway, I bought 3 to give it a try. Called the CCL number given 800-764-7419, got through within minutes. Selected existing reservation, explained that I wanted to make a payment with AARP Gift Cards. No Problem. The agent took the card numbers and the pin numbers and applied them instantly. They did have to be applied one card at a time, but it was very quick and painless, no issue whatsoever. Will definitely do it again to pay off the balance.   

Edited by JJK2008
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

Carnival's are the easiest to use.  They are identical to cards bought in stores. You can use them on their website to make payments for your cruise balance and any purchases. However there is a limit in how many can be applied at once, if you hit that limit, you just need to conduct another transaction.

Once onboard, you can also use them to pay your onboard expenses.

RCL certificates are not the same as gift cards sold by RCL on their website, or in stores. You can only use them for cruise fare, and cruise has to be booked directly with RCL (before transferring to a travel agency) and you have to e-mail them to be applied.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ngrund said:

Carnival's are the easiest to use.  They are identical to cards bought in stores. You can use them on their website to make payments for your cruise balance and any purchases. However there is a limit in how many can be applied at once, if you hit that limit, you just need to conduct another transaction.

Once onboard, you can also use them to pay your onboard expenses.

RCL certificates are not the same as gift cards sold by RCL on their website, or in stores. You can only use them for cruise fare, and cruise has to be booked directly with RCL (before transferring to a travel agency) and you have to e-mail them to be applied.

TCI recently changed this.  You can now use the gift cards on board.

Just now, PrincessPatti said:

TCI recently changed this.  You can now use the gift cards on board.

I believe that applies to the gift cards sold by RCL on their website or in stores, not the discounted gift "certificates" sold by AARP

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 3:19 PM, JJK2008 said:

We book directly with the cruise line and do NOT use a travel agent. If you use a travel agent for your booking, you'll have to go through them to apply the gift cards. That said, just today, for the first time I bought 3 AARP $100 Carnival Gift Cards for a cruise in December. I have scoured CC reading about the Gift Cards, restrictions, problems, etc. The Carnival Cards seem to be the easiest to use, the RCCL not so much. Anyway, I bought 3 to give it a try. Called the CCL number given 800-764-7419, got through within minutes. Selected existing reservation, explained that I wanted to make a payment with AARP Gift Cards. No Problem. The agent took the card numbers and the pin numbers and applied them instantly. They did have to be applied one card at a time, but it was very quick and painless, no issue whatsoever. Will definitely do it again to pay off the balance.   

You can also pay directly on the website using the gift cards. There is a max of 9 per transaction. Although if you call, they can take more than 9 at a time. I save a lot using the AARP gift cards. I also have a few to take onboard with me.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 12:19 PM, JJK2008 said:

Does this only apply for paying for the cruise?  Can the gift cards be added to your sign and sail once on board?

48 minutes ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Does this only apply for paying for the cruise?  Can the gift cards be added to your sign and sail once on board?

They can be used on board as well.  I used one of the kiosk to add the GC to my account.

I just finished paying for the cruise using gift cards.  Can I add them to my account before sailing so I start the cruise with an onboard credit? Or do I have to do that onboard? 

On 5/17/2024 at 3:19 PM, JJK2008 said:

Will definitely do it again to pay off the balance.  

In case you didn't know, you can also use them to pay off your sail n sign account on board.  Your daily gratuities, excursions, Cheers, and whatever you spend on board can be paid off with the GC's.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:17 PM, ngrund said:

I believe that applies to the gift cards sold by RCL on their website or in stores, not the discounted gift "certificates" sold by AARP

You're correct.  There is a difference with RCI.  The certificates are a different puppy.  Can be used towards deposits only booking directly through the cruise line.  

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I just finished paying for the cruise using gift cards.  Can I add them to my account before sailing so I start the cruise with an onboard credit? Or do I have to do that onboard? 

You cannot apply a Gift Card to your on-board account until you actually get on board...

- BUT -

...you can use Gift Cards to purchase General Cruise Cash before getting on board, and the Cruise Cash will automatically be applied to your account.  I buy just enough Cruise Cash to meet the initial fund requirement.  Then, at my leisure throughout the cruise, I can stop by Guest Services and use Gift Cards to keep my balance at the appropriate level.

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me where to find these gift cards on the AARP site. I have searched for them & just cannot seem to find it! 

29 minutes ago, skypig said:

Can someone please tell me where to find these gift cards on the AARP site. I have searched for them & just cannot seem to find it! 

Go onto the AARP website.  First of all, in order to buy the Carnival cards you need to have a membership.

Assuming you do, go onto the main page, about 20% down the page is AARP rewards.  Click on this.  On the next page scroll down till you get to "more rewards".  Click here and other gift cards for purchase like the Carnival cards should pop up.

Other cards from Princess are available for anybody at an 8% discount.  The Carnival cards are available at a 10% discount, but only for AARP members.

I just bought 3 more gift cards today.  They are e cards so you get them immediately instead of waiting for them to arrive like in the olden days.  Using them to pre pay gratuities, internet, and photo package.  Bought some previously to pay for the cruise and Cheers!🥂

On 5/22/2024 at 8:17 PM, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Yes, you can add them at the kiosk, or guest services when you get on board for your S&S card

• Like 1

I just used them to pay off my cruise in September. The only problem I had was paying for an amount that was over the value of the cards. I had a balance of $1042. I was able to use the cards for the $1000, but the $42 I had to put on a credit card.