How do you reserve a phantom cruise?

ldparker

I have seen where pax talk about booking "phantom cruises" while on board to take advantage of the credit. We sail Celebrity almost exclusively and will likely do so into the future.

Can anyone tell me how to book a future cruise that is not yet scheduled? How long is the booking good, for and how much deposit do you have to drop at the time of booking?

Thanks, David

I know only Princess offers open bookings. What we did was make a reservation on a cruise showing that we knew we would not take. When the FOS became available for booking back in February 2005, we had our TA use that booking number and change the res we had made on board and change it for the FOS trip we are taking this coming January. You put the deposit based on the length of the cruise you book, so if you book a 5 night you will have to pay an additional deposit if you change to say a 7 or 10 night.

You book one with the longest waiting period... ie something of the desired length in 2007. Leave the booking with Celebrity and when you find something you want, transfer the booking number to the cruise and cruise agency you want.

Yes, it's not literally a "phantom" cruise, but just a reservation for a cruise that you do not really intend to take. You pick one that is far off, preferably a short one, so your deposit is less than for a long one. For letting Celebrity hold your money for a while, you get in exchange, the shipboard credit.

Then, before your final payment is due, you will need to either move it farther out again, or pick one you actually want to sail.

Theron

Yes, it's not literally a "phantom" cruise, but just a reservation for a cruise that you do not really intend to take. You pick one that is far off, preferably a short one, so your deposit is less than for a long one. For letting Celebrity hold your money for a while, you get in exchange, the shipboard credit.

Then, before your final payment is due, you will need to either move it farther out again, or pick one you actually want to sail.

Theron

If you book a short one with a smaller credit and change it to a 14 night, do you get the larger credit?

If you book a short one with a smaller credit and change it to a 14 night, do you get the larger credit?

I think you do. You'd need to hear from a TA to be sure. I'm also pretty sure that when you switch the booking you are responsible for the increased deposit at that time as well.

Theron

Did that very thing on Infinity a few weeks ago. However, was told that to get a $200 on board credit I would have to make a phantom booking of at least 12 days and that a 7 night wouldn't give me the $200 if I changed to a 14 night.

I don't know how accurate this was!! Be delighted to hear that she was wrong!!!!

No you don't. You get the credit for the cruise booked onboard the ship. If you change it to a longer one it's your loss.

We have changed from longer to shorter cruises. Sometimes they reduce the OBC and sometimes they forget.

The girl on the Summit who booked my "Phantom" cruised advised me to book a 7 night cruise because the deposit is less. I have it in writing that when I change it to a longer cruise, the shipboard credit will be increased.

I hope she knew what she was talking about...because she made a mistake about the currency of the deposit. Anyway, I insisted that she write on the bottom that if I change it to a longer cruise, I will get the $200. Since it is in writing, I don't know if Celebrity will want to argue. I find that one hand does not know what the other hand is doing in this company.

I know I want to take a Panama, 14-day, in 2007 but the schedules are not out yet. I am going to be on Summitt in a few weeks and want to secure the largest possible onboard credit for the Panama cruise in 2007. If I understand you all correctly, I should:

1.) Book any 14-day cruise leaving, say in Feb 2007.

2.) When the 2007 Panama schedule comes out, pick a cruise date, and transfer the Feb cruise to that Panama cruise?

Is that correct?

Thanks, David

I know I want to take a Panama, 14-day, in 2007 but the schedules are not out yet. I am going to be on Summitt in a few weeks and want to secure the largest possible onboard credit for the Panama cruise in 2007. If I understand you all correctly, I should:

1.) Book any 14-day cruise leaving, say in Feb 2007.

2.) When the 2007 Panama schedule comes out, pick a cruise date, and transfer the Feb cruise to that Panama cruise?

Is that correct?

Thanks, David

The best way is not to book a cruise at all because the prices are going to drop below anything you can book on the ship. An example is my upcoming Alaska cruise that I booked early. Even with the $200 onboard credit, I'm still paying $400 more than I would have paid with the Happy Hour Specials, which are for new bookings only. A lesson learned for me!

GOto: http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/ or click on the latest Celebrity pdf http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/XcitingDeals_CEL_tues.pdf

That is exactly what I did. I booked a 5 night cruise on Century, then changed it to a 10 night Mercury cruise. As long as you keep the same booking number the onboard credit will change to reflect the length of the cruise you acyually take. The important thing is to make sure you keep the same booking number.

Terri

No you don't. You get the credit for the cruise booked onboard the ship. If you change it to a longer one it's your loss.

We have changed from longer to shorter cruises. Sometimes they reduce the OBC and sometimes they forget.

I confirmed with Celebrity that I'll be getting the adjusted onboard credit & they confirmed I would get the $200 credit. The rep I talked to said people do it all the time, but if you go the other direction - longer cruise booked then changed to shorter, they will reduce the OBC.

Terri

I spoke to a charming lady - Anna - in customer relations who told me that the info I received on board was incorrect. I will have to change my "phantom" to a one week.

If I then book a 2-week I will get the $200 as long as I keep the reservation number.

Good news for once. Oh, and she was sympathetic about Champagne - NOT. Thought it strange to be asked for corkage, when the wine had been included in my package!! Nice lady!

Archived