Best way to see Pearl Harbor? Self-tour or guided tour?

Cardinal30

Visiting Honolulu in early October and want to visit Pearl Harbor.  What is the best way to get the most out of my visit?  Go on my own or book a tour?  What all should I see?

A little planning,  you can do it pretty well by yourself. There are 4 main targets...the Arizona, the memorial and related things, the sub ( these two items are together), the Missouri  and the Museum on Ford Island ( these two items are sort of together).

Depends on what you want to see, and what your endurance is. They can all be seen in one, pretty full day, if you are fully mobile and fit. And have the time, of course. 

We took two visits,  but wanted to focus on things, and not spend a full day. The Missouri has some very good guided tours.

Self tour always.

Get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial from the official site below.

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Pearl Harbor is obviously an active U.S. military base, but the memorial area is run by the National Park Service. Read the site below.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/index.htm

I admit right now I have done absolutely no research since I don’t cruise until February, 2026 and have several new ports between now and then that I need to focus on.

I have been to Honolulu multiple times on cruise ships. Should we rent a car to get from the Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor or is there a public bus or ??

2 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

I admit right now I have done absolutely no research since I don’t cruise until February, 2026 and have several new ports between now and then that I need to focus on.

I have been to Honolulu multiple times on cruise ships. Should we rent a car to get from the Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor or is there a public bus or ??

There is a public bus, but if you are planning on an extended tour plan, I would cab or Uber over. Getting a rental car eats precious time, particularly if you are talking a port stop on a cruise.

If it's a pre cruise visit, be aware parking in popular places like Waikiki is expensive, but you could do a one day rental out of Waikiki. 

We just booked our 4th Waikiki visit for next March. We have never rented a car on Oahu.