First Timer's Review – Silver Nova in Alaska

Sketty1616

We just completed not only our first cruise on SS, but our first cruise overall. It was a 7 night cruise from Seward to Vancouver. Here are my thoughts.

1. The ship is beautiful.  Maybe because it is so new, but everything is immaculate. 

2. We had an aft-facing suite on deck 9. It was wonderful. I am not sure I would book it again. It always seemed like you were viewing the scenery as you were leaving, instead of seeing something as you approach it. Minor issue in my opinion.

3. The staff were terrific.  They really did go out of their way to make sure your every need was taken care of.

4. The food was fabulous.  We did not visit any of the upchatge restaurants,  nor were we able to get into the Silver Note, but all others were outstanding. 

5. Since we were in Alaska, some of the outside areas were not being used as I assume they would on a warmer weather itinerary.  But no space ever seemed crowded.

6. Overall we had a great trip. I would be glad to answer any questions. I am not much for writing long, detailed reviews.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

I'm glad to hear you had a great first cruise!

Were you on the Nova?

What were your favorite activities on shore?

Yes, should have said that. We were on the Nova.

We really enjoyed the White Pass Railway in Skagway.

• Like 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to First Timer's Review – Silver Dawn in Alaska
  • Host Jazzbeau changed the title to First Timer's Review – Silver Nova in Alaska

We are doing the Silver Nova next August for our 50th and doing and aft cabin.  I've done aft cabins on Celebrity.  We love watching the wake, especially at night.
Did you do any whale watching excursions?  None of the excursions on our cruise are whale watching excursions.  I'm wondering if we should try to book one of them ourselves.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuziCruises said:

Did you hear any comments about noise issues?  I'm wondering about adjoining suites or suites on deck 9.   Thank you-

Our cabin was an aft facing cabin on deck 9. There were no noise issues. Even when we were on our balcony, we heard nothing from below or above.

• Like 1

I am on that boat going north to Seward in two weeks.  What did you pack?  We aren’t eating in the upcharge restaurants and we have booked excursions in each port.  We are going on to Denali on the train so I know to have a raincoat and hiking boots but what did you wear on days at sea and at dinner?  Did anyone use the pool?  We are a family of six with our two daughters, a partner and a thirteen year old granddaughter who might venture into the pool. No jeans in public places after 6 pm?  We aren’t doing that train since we have the longer one but I’ve heard great things about it.  Any other land places that were great?  Thanks

On 5/30/2024 at 6:32 AM, SuziCruises said:

Did you hear any comments about noise issues?  I'm wondering about adjoining suites or suites on deck 9.   Thank you-

We were on the Nova in December and were assigned a suite on deck 9. I was concerned about noise from the pool deck above and an adjoining suite, but we heard no noise at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrsh8b said:

I am on that boat going north to Seward in two weeks.  What did you pack?  We aren’t eating in the upcharge restaurants and we have booked excursions in each port.  We are going on to Denali on the train so I know to have a raincoat and hiking boots but what did you wear on days at sea and at dinner?  Did anyone use the pool?  We are a family of six with our two daughters, a partner and a thirteen year old granddaughter who might venture into the pool. No jeans in public places after 6 pm?  We aren’t doing that train since we have the longer one but I’ve heard great things about it.  Any other land places that were great?  Thanks

I can say we overpacked by a mile. I did pack two jackets for dinner and did wear them on 3 occasions,  but I would say a huge majority of the men did not wear jackets. It ranged anywhere from suits to, get ready,  a gentleman that wore a blue, hooded, zipper front sweatshirt. The kind you would buy at Walmart and do yard work in. He wore this on many occasions. 

A raincoat and good hiking boots are good choices. 

During the day, most folks wore pretty casual clothes. A mix of jeans,  shorts, slacks, etc. I really didn't see any enforcement of the dress code at any point. Day or night.

There were people who used the pool, but not many. I think I heard the pool water temp was around 75F. The hot tub on deck 11 was used frequently. 

We really enjoyed White Pass Railway in Skagway, and the whale/sea feast in Ketchikan. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1