Silhouette captain

11 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Matt, he is Greek🇬🇷

Pretty sure Captain Matt took over the helm on Edge last November (we were on that sailing).  

Unless there is more than one Greek Captain Matt with Celebrity?

I see Captain Costas Nestoroudis is back on Edge.  IIRC, he was the Captain when Edge launched in 2018.  

He handed off to Captain Kate for a while before she moved to Beyond.

Then on the Suez Canal cruise last year he handed the reins to Captain Matt in Athens.  I thought Captain Costas said he was retiring but my memory is certainly not good enough to state that with any conviction.  Captain Matt was captain of Edge throughout the Australia/NZ season and for the sailing back to Vancouver for the Alaska season (which included the infamous pass-by of the Kauai shore).  

Now it seems Captain Costas is back on Edge, and Captain Matt has returned to Silhouette.  

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Silhouette has Captain Matt from Greece currently—August 2024

Yep - we had Captain Matt - who is Greek 😄 - for our July 28-Aug 4th Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Silhouette.  I think we were his first sailing for this brief "contract" (one month, I think) as he had finished his stint on the Edge and was asked to take this short gig before having a break and, according to his plans, returning to the Edge again.  

He was, like most of the X captains we have had, seemingly pretty engaging and entertaining. On the bridge? No idea. In public, a good representative.

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Yep - we had Captain Matt - who is Greek 😄 - for our July 28-Aug 4th Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Silhouette.  I think we were his first sailing for this brief "contract" (one month, I think) as he had finished his stint on the Edge and was asked to take this short gig before having a break and, according to his plans, returning to the Edge again.  

He was, like most of the X captains we have had, seemingly pretty engaging and entertaining. On the bridge? No idea. In public, a good representative.

Thanks for the update.  

We've sailed a few times with Captain Matt and agree that he is funny and interesting.  Did a great job getting us safely through the Suez canal at a time of high tension in the area.  In fact, he had his wife and toddler on board for that cruise and when asked about whether the situation at the time posed any danger, he responded "do you think I would bring my wife and child on board if I thought there was anything to worry about?"  Great response!

16 minutes ago, A Pound a Day said:

Thanks for the update.  

We've sailed a few times with Captain Matt and agree that he is funny and interesting.  Did a great job getting us safely through the Suez canal at a time of high tension in the area.  In fact, he had his wife and toddler on board for that cruise and when asked about whether the situation at the time posed any danger, he responded "do you think I would bring my wife and child on board if I thought there was anything to worry about?"  Great response!

He mentioned they were on board when he was on the Edge, and with the call up to the Silhouette, they opted to head back to Greece while he was on the Silhouette.  

But, yeah, traveling in "interesting" areas with his family on board is a sign he was feeling like the risks were not unfavorable.

4 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Do you know who will replace Matt on Silhouette?

55 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Do you know who will replace Matt on Silhouette?

Nope.  I'm sure folks here have some site or resource, but the only thing he mentioned in his talk was that he was just filling in for the month, and that his next "normal" stint was going to be the Edge again. He said he hoped to get a shot on the newest ship coming out, but he said it wasn't that easy to just "get" the ship you want.  I always kick myself for not recording the Captains' Talks, as there are usually all sorts of random nuggets in them that I can't fully recall later on down the road. Just have that feeling I heard the answer, but can't recall the full or exact wording.

On 8/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, canderson said:

The original captain of Constellation (2002) stayed on until he retired in ?2011?

Going nuts trying to remember his name this morning!  Crew really appreciated having him at the helm. 

hey canderson

Where you perhaps thinking of Captain Papanikolaou?

We passengers appreciated him also.

47 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

hey canderson

Where you perhaps thinking of Captain Papanikolaou?

We passengers appreciated him also.

YES!  Thank you very much.  He was a delight, always here and there around the ship, and very approachable.  Really enjoyed his job.  He also managed to avoid the dreaded mid-cruise azipod thrust bearing failures of his three sister ships by treating Connie nicely. 😉

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

YES!  Thank you very much.  He was a delight, always here and there around the ship, and very approachable.  Really enjoyed his job.  He also managed to avoid the dreaded mid-cruise azipod thrust bearing failures of his three sister ships by treating Connie nicely. 😉

He certainly was great! He officiated at our wedding vow renewal and invited us up to the bridge for a Sail away from Havensite after sunset, It is something else to see the beautiful St Thomas' blue lights at night. Both were beautiful memorable experiences for us. Current Crew still think very highly of him when I mention his name,

Glad to help.