Lots of questions -- first time on Virgin Voyages

Hello!

We've been on Royal three times and wanted to try something different. I have a lot of questions if someone doesn't mind answering them, I'd appreciate it. We're going on Valiant Lady to Cozumel and Bimini.

Dining:

Can you get a two top in most restaurants? I know probably not in the Test Kitchen but we prefer to sit by ourselves

Are they good with allergies if you inform them? My husband has an allergy to chocolate and shellfish. On Royal we just told the server when we sat down and everything was good. 

Beach Club at Bimini:

Is a cabana worth it? Do I understand it right -- even if you have a bar tab, this cabana comes with $100 just for use on the island?

The sand looks pretty soft, do you need swim shoes or are just your regular sandals/barefoot ok?

Romance Package:

Blatantly, we want it for the early check in. 😂 Do the RPs go right after the suites or how does that work?

Does the shake for champagne work? I've heard the app can be wonky.

I was told that even with the bracelets where there are supposed to be extras or surprises, there really aren't.

This looked really fun to us as an older married couple because we are looking for something that if we want to be laid back we can, if we want to party a bit more we can. Plus, no kids! I like them and they usually don't bother me on cruises, but I am looking forward to not tripping over them!\

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, HesterMofet said:

Can you get a two top in most restaurants?

Yes, there are plenty of 2 tops, except for Gunbae, the Koren BBQ.

Are they good with allergies if you inform them?

You will always be asked about allergies when ordering. They seem to be more conscientious than any other line we've sailed.

Is a cabana worth it?

That's a personal choice. Personally, I don't t feel $500 is ever worth a few hours of shade that I can get with an umbrella for free.

25 minutes ago, HesterMofet said:

do you need swim shoes

Short answer: No

• Like 3

If we weren't able to do a loyalty match and get the Deep Blue Extra perks, then we'd definitely do the Splash of Romance package.  For us the priority embarkation and the champagne would make it worth it.  The sooner you are onboard the easier it is to make or change restaurant reservations.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HesterMofet said:

We've been on Royal three times

Do you have status with Royal?

Bimini is an amazing port. I love what they did with the Beach Club. As for a cabana, it depends on your intentions. The float party and Happenings cast is at the pool and not really viewable from the cabanas. We didn't have one and met people who paid for it. They spent more time at our "peasant" seats than in the cabana.

Sand and water are perfect!

Virgin Voyages is definitely a you-do-you vibe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HesterMofet said:

Can you get a two top in most restaurants? I know probably not in the Test Kitchen but we prefer to sit by ourselves

The default on Virgin, unlike other cruise lines, is that you sit at your own table, like a regular restaurant on land. The only exception is Gunbae, where groups of six sit around a grill.

Test Kitchen has normal tables plus "chef counter" seating, where you will be seated with others at a bar facing the kitchen where they prep a few of the courses. If you have a preference for one over the other, tell the host when you arrive. 

• Like 2

Shake for Champagnes generally works, although delivery time can vary greatly. We've had quick 10 minute arrivals and close to an hour. If you qualify for a free bottle it will show up on your account for a day or two, make sure that it is actually removed before your cruise ends!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HesterMofet said:

All restaurants except Gunbae have two-tops, but they might only have a few inches from other two top tables. Test Kitchen has some regular seating, some on high stools and a lot of diner-style counter seating facing open kitchens. Even if you are at the diner style counter it’s possible to keep yourselves to yourselves and not interact with others if you wish. The only place you will feel a need to talk to table-mates is Gunbae Korean BBQ.

13 hours ago, HesterMofet said:

Does the shake for champagne work? I've heard the app can be wonky.

I’ve not had major app issues once airplane mode is on and I’m connected to the ship WiFi. Biggest issue with Shake for Champagne is that it can take 10 minutes to arrive or it can take 45 minutes and you’ve no way of knowing. That in my opinion makes the feature a bit pointless as you might as well go to a bar, but if you get Splash of Romance you have to do it via the app.

I concur with the above.  You WILL be at a 2 top except in Gunbae and possibly Test Kitchen.  You can ask for one in Test Kitchen.  You will be asked about allergies at each meal and snack.  They are really good about allergies.

Yes, a cabana includes $100 in alcohol regardless of any tab you have...I think $500 for a cabana is a waste, but that's personal opinion. Swim shoes also personal, not needed.

DO you have loyalty on Royal?  If you apply for status match, you can get Blue Extras for your cruise (NOT Deep Blue Extras, which is a higher status).  Go to "loyalty" on the VV web page to apply.

If you will use the champagne and the thermal suite, SOR is worth the cost.  If those aren't big deals to you, it is rather expensive.  Yes, shake for champagne works, but delivery speed varies based on how busy they are.  SOR boards either right after suites or right after Deep Blue...we've seen it both ways.  Bottom line, you would board between 1:30 and 2.  We have usually been in our cabin before 2 with Deep Blue.  SOR gives you a separate waiting area at the terminal.

This is a great YouTube for more info...a little out of date in a few spots, but not much.  Well done, detailed, and based on accuracy rather than "Look at me" or  personal opinios,

• Like 1