Where do P&O dock in Roatan?

tring

Posted (edited)

I gather there is a Carnival owned port at Mahogany Bay.  Can I assume that is where we will be on Ventura?  There is a port website, but my computer says it is unsafe and will not let me into it.

Also there appears to be an adjacent beach to that port, is it an ok place to spend the day?  We have booked excursions in Cozumel and Belize, so looking for an easy day here.

Edited by tring

Posted (edited)

We berthed at Mahogany Bay on Aurora. It’s a large man made beach resort, but very well themed. We were the only ship in port, so it was lovely. It’s set up to accommodate quite a few ships and I should imagine can feel very different when busy, but if you like beach resorts and don’t mind them being artificial rather than authentic then it will tick all the boxes. 

IMG_1802.jpeg

IMG_1809.jpeg

IMG_1820.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thanks Selbourne, lovely pics.  We are also alone in port, but Ventura not Aurora - sadly.  Well, actually Jewel of the Seas is listed, but they will presumably be in the RCCL dock of Coxen Hole, so should be a nice easy day, which we will appreciate between two excursion days.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

Thanks Selbourne, lovely pics.  We are also alone in port, but Ventura not Aurora - sadly.  Well, actually Jewel of the Seas is listed, but they will presumably be in the RCCL dock of Coxen Hole, so should be a nice easy day, which we will appreciate between two excursion days.

Even with Ventura it will feel relaxed and quiet. The place is set up for a few mega ships at a time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Even with Ventura it will feel relaxed and quiet. The place is set up for a few mega ships at a time. 

Thanks a lot for the reassurance.  Having done two round trip Caribbean cruises in the last two years we have become very aware of how things have changed there since we last went about 15 years ago.

Roatan is a lovely port of call .we were blessed to be the only ship in on the day we called and one of the abiding memories was of at least half the crew having the most fantastic time for a few hours and was a pleasure to be on the same stretch of beach as them , they were polite and made sure they did not interrupt or disturb any of the guests, however quite a few passengers saw what a good time they were having and joined in with them !!!

There is a chair lift from near the dock which takes you to the beach area and cost $2 ( may have gone up now) but in all honesty the walk was really nice through well kept gardens , the only downside when we called was the departure time of 4pm ,even though our next port was less than half a days sail ,most people agreed we could have stayed for at least another couple of hours without it making any difference.       

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Roatan is a lovely port of call .we were blessed to be the only ship in on the day we called and one of the abiding memories was of at least half the crew having the most fantastic time for a few hours and was a pleasure to be on the same stretch of beach as them , they were polite and made sure they did not interrupt or disturb any of the guests, however quite a few passengers saw what a good time they were having and joined in with them !!!

There is a chair lift from near the dock which takes you to the beach area and cost $2 ( may have gone up now) but in all honesty the walk was really nice through well kept gardens , the only downside when we called was the departure time of 4pm ,even though our next port was less than half a days sail ,most people agreed we could have stayed for at least another couple of hours without it making any difference.       

We really love seeing the crew going ashore. Great to hear it is a good base for that.  I agree 4pm is not good, especially as the dock is apparently owned by Carnival.  I assume it must still be more beneficial for the drink profits to be made by the cruise line, rather than ashore.  Perhaps the bars etc there are leased by locals.

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

You have helped me twice today Selbourne..  I was a bit stuck on Miami, then remembered you liked it, so I searched for Miami and your name on this board.  Up your post came, which pointed me towards South Beach and they Art Deco area.

Thanks your help was very useful, I including the warning about taxis!

• Like 1