Gratuites on Seabourn

9 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

There are many forms of appreciation that can be shown apart from money.  Others have mentioned that they bring small gifts from home (we often bring California chocolates), or simply asking if you can get things for them when onshore if they can’t get off the ship much.  It’s also important to mention people by name in the post-cruise survey - we’ve heard that makes a big difference; better for their career growth than a tip.  We’ve been delighted to see staff on Seabourn evolve and grow into new roles over time, and customer appreciation helps make that happen.

YES, and I am always appalled at how many don't bother to say PLEASE or THANK YOU.

• Like 4

I absolutely love to mention stellar crew in my cruise surveys. I believe that is a very important way to reward them for their hard work. 
I also favor contributing to the crew fund because so many that I don’t see have helped make our cruise enjoyable and hopefully exceptional. 
I am worried that the propensity of, mostly US, passengers tipping will eventually change “tipping is not required nor expected “ to “tipping is expected but not required “.

• Like 8

I believe the purpose of tipping is to reward exceptional service. The reason I rarely give to the crew fund is that my contribution would go to everyone, including those staff who may be underperforming, which is counterproductive and demotivating to other staff who are outstanding. This is why I mainly tip individuals. Having said that, I have on occasion also given to the crew fund when my entire cruise has been excellent. Otherwise, I just tip individuals.

• Like 2

I believe this roll call has reinforced  our opinions as we have expressed them. It has shown me how others view this topic.

For me that has been an education.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:08 AM, johng75370 said:

There are many forms of appreciation that can be shown apart from money.  Others have mentioned that they bring small gifts from home (we often bring California chocolates), or simply asking if you can get things for them when onshore if they can’t get off the ship much.  It’s also important to mention people by name in the post-cruise survey - we’ve heard that makes a big difference; better for their career growth than a tip.  We’ve been delighted to see staff on Seabourn evolve and grow into new roles over time, and customer appreciation helps make that happen.

This is the best response I’ve seen in a long time. 

I was getting very cross reading the responses thinking how the tipping culture is playing out through the world - with many nations now saying please don’t. 

We have recently spent some time Scotland and the enormous influx of people from the United States following the Outlander television series running amok looking for “Jamie” has got many locals riled up against tipping as tourists have over the last few years inflated prices across the hospitality industry to a point where they cannot afford a night out and hospitality staff are expecting tipping for the purchase of a pint in a pub.

The price is the price. Pay it and be pleasant to staff and provide kind feedback. It’s service = charge. If not, let them know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I believe the purpose of tipping is to reward exceptional service. The reason I rarely give to the crew fund is that my contribution would go to everyone, including those staff who may be underperforming, which is counterproductive and demotivating to other staff who are outstanding. This is why I mainly tip individuals. Having said that, I have on occasion also given to the crew fund when my entire cruise has been excellent. Otherwise, I just tip individuals.

The person who does your laundry has noted this for a high heat wash and extra starch. The kitchen staff…

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Tipping is out of control now in the US.  I've started paying cash for a lot of things now in rebellion. If you pay by credit card the server flips a tablet to you with 3 choices....20% tip, 25% tip, or 30 % tip. This for counter service of 1 drink.  I'm not going to be pressured into tipping.

The Seabourn website says tipping is neither required nor expected. I'm following Seabourn rules.

Edited by branndie
error
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

The person who does your laundry has noted this for a high heat wash and extra starch. The kitchen staff…

Thanks. That’s exactly why no one should contribute to the crew fund. It is a waste of money that has no correlation to the service one receives and only rewards mediocrity.

• Haha 1

Just to complete my education on this topic, where is the line in the sand for tipping.

It seems to be a visibility factor and personal interaction. If this is the case, do you tip the CD, Captain and Hotel Director? I have personal interaction with them, and they have helped us out many times. Not to mention contributed significantly to our excellent cruise. Do you consider they are paid enough and don’t warrant tipping and is it only people in a subordinate role? Where does it end?

Surely this is the point re the staff fund. I don’t think mediocrity would be tolerated for long in the cruise environment. They would be quickly outed by guests and other staff.

FYI we saw an overt tip knocked back at the end of our previous cruise 8 days ago on the last night - thank you, but we have a crew fund if you would like to contribute, I can’t do my job without… and she turned around and indicated colleagues. Lovely young woman.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Thanks. That’s exactly why no one should contribute to the crew fund. It is a waste of money that has no correlation to the service one receives and only rewards mediocrity.

The error is in taking filthy tipping habits from mass market lines with you as you move up the ladder. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saminina said:

The error is in taking filthy tipping habits from mass market lines with you as you move up the ladder. 

If you read my signature, you would understand that I have taken mostly ultra-luxury cruises for many years. In fact, I started sailing with Seabourn before they were acquired by Carnival. Having said that, I have met many wonderful people on the mass market ships we have sailed with who would never descend to the level of calling someone else’s tipping preference as “filthy”. 

• Like 7

I promised myself not to comment on this subject but there is something I’ve always wondered about - when tipping is not required but given anyway, it is always stated that it’s for exceptional service or the person has gone above and beyond.

What has been done that has been so exceptional? What was done that was above and beyond?

I understand the importance of tipping in USA and Canada because that is the way it is but I do not understand why citizens from these countries insist on tipping when it is not part of the culture or required.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2024 at 1:14 AM, Laylam said:

Or start paying fair wages in the USA....I am bowing out of this now. (A PROMISE)

On 6/15/2024 at 11:20 PM, Laylam said:

YES, and I am always appalled at how many don't bother to say PLEASE or THANK YOU.

🤔 🤨

4 hours ago, Joc123 said:

I promised myself not to comment on this subject but there is something I’ve always wondered about - when tipping is not required but given anyway, it is always stated that it’s for exceptional service or the person has gone above and beyond.

What has been done that has been so exceptional? What was done that was above and beyond?

I understand the importance of tipping in USA and Canada because that is the way it is but I do not understand why citizens from these countries insist on tipping when it is not part of the culture or required.

Good question. For me, exceptional service is when my room steward, butler, waiter or bar tender anticipates my needs and/or makes helpful recommendations and suggestions. Yes, that doesn’t happen on every cruise from every crew member. And sometimes I do not tip anyone, and other times I do. And occasionally, and rarely, when all staff meet my expectations, I also give to the crew fund as well as individuals. 
While I cannot speak for others who tip, that is my criteria.

• Like 2

Absolutely. We recently did a cruise, the first 14 days of which the majority on board was a particular nationality. Did not hear one please or thank you, just grunting and pointing - yes, the majority had excellent English, if not all of them, just not manners. Perhaps their brains were on holiday mode.