Balcony vs OV

Crusin Karen

First time AK cruiser. I’m researching for 9/25 on Princess. All the balconies on all the cruises are sold out. Haven’t been on Princess in years. Is OV ok?  I’m kind of bummed!!! 

6 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

First time AK cruiser. I’m researching for 9/25 on Princess. All the balconies on all the cruises are sold out. Haven’t been on Princess in years. Is OV ok?  I’m kind of bummed!!! 

Of course it is.  You just will have to go outside on a deck to sit outside and watch  the world go by instead of doing it in your own room.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Is OV ok?

Of course it is.  There have been many many past threads discussing the pros and cons of balcony V OV and opinions remain divided.  You could use the search tool to find them and read a few. 

If scenery and sealife are important to you, you may find that the narrow view from a balcony on only one side would not have been  the best experience and you may find that open deck viewing is superior as you can see much more, and sometimes the bow areas which are usually barred to passengers are opened up for additional viewing. And positioning yourselves outside  in a location from where you can easily move from one side of the ship to the other will give you the best viewing opportunities.  The other bonus is that many pax on outside decks  keep a close eye out for sealife and will give a shout out if/when any whales are spotted and you would not hear that if sitting on  a balcony.  I think you will find that you spend more time outdoor viewing.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edinburgher-thank you. Guess I should have done a search! I’m a “CCL cruiser” as you can see in my sig! The few times I’ve had an OV on one of their ships the window is at a distance from bed so you can stand in front of window to look out. I was researching Princess and saw the window in OV’s is at the head of the bed and thought: how does that work? Lol. 🤷‍♀️

We booked an OV picture window room because all balconies were sold out. Despite that, we bid on an upgrade to a balcony room and it was awarded to us recently! Things change and people cancel. I would keep watching the site!

• Thanks 1

I always get an inside cabin to spend the money on excursions. 

Plenty of good spots to watch for wildlife and glaciers in the public area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1