Help with Cinque Terre Itinerary

GAgaltravel

I'll be in La Spezia next Wednesday with my daughter. We have 1:30 reservations in Manarola. We plan to take the train from port, but would like to visit other villages before and after our 1:30 reservation. After Manarola, we'd like to hike down to Riomaggiore, explore there and take train back to port. Here are my questions: #1 Is there time to explore a village before 1:00 if we head out early morning, and if so which one would you suggest?  #2 is the train our best option to travel between villages? #3 I've read conflicting information about hiking between the villages. How do we go about hiking from Manarola to Riomaggiore legally? #4 Can someone explain the train system to me like I'm a ten year old? 🙂

1. Yes, easily. Each village is 2-5 mins train apart, you could fit in at least 2. I really liked Riomaggiore - the first one you get to will be the quietest, so inevitably your favourite!

2. Yes, but ferry gives you better views. Consider train out/ferry back (drops you closer to ship)

3. Check the official website, I’ll find the link. Be aware there’s rules on footwear and it could be very very hot

4. Buy your ticket at a machine at the station, it’s in English and there’s visitor guides to help.

It’s all really easy, just check how many ships are in port with you as it will be busy! Also when is your all-aboard? Given it’s summer, walking could be preferable in the morning instead of after lunch, and it gets much busier in the afternoon with tours.

train station is a straightforward 25 mins walk from the dock entrance (it’s a working port, so mandatory shuttle straight off the ship for a few minutes). There’s clear signage and kiosks to buy the Cinque Terre pass (train + walking permit) at the station. 

Each town is 2-5 minutes apart, so you could easily do 2 before lunchtime. Consider taking the train to the furthest village, Monterosso, then work backwards to Vernazza and Manarola. Or train to Riomaggiore, Corniglia, then back to Manarola and finally ferry back to La Spezia

• Like 1

https://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en Ferry service. They prefer cash ( mandatory if buying a ticket onboard/smaller village) 

https://www.parconazionale5terre.it/Ecinque-terre-card.php The official national park site. Use google translate if not all pages are in English 

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/footpaths-cinqueterre Has lots of uptodate information in English. States Manarola-Riomaggiore is still closed (as does the official site)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rhiannon84 said:

It’s all really easy, just check how many ships are in port with you as it will be busy!

I can't thank you enough for your help! This is exactly what I needed! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rhiannon84 said:

They prefer cash

Would you recommend buying ahead of time? We'll be there a week from Wednesday and there are tickets available online. I'm just wondering if it might be hard to get tickets back the day of. 

I had no problem buying on the day (other than needing to run to a cashpoint) but that was October so off season. However they don't run in poor weather... 

Compromise and buy 1-2 days before when the forecast is accurate? 

It's a lovely part of the world so enjoy wandering about. It if gets really horribly busy, you could leave the 5 villages a bit earlier and go to Portovenere, which is also lovely but a bigger town and less overcrowded (with better travel links back to La Spezia) 

I cannot agree with it all being "easy."  The villages of Cinque Terre have become one more victim of overtourism and this extends to the trains.  For example, in April we were, again, in La Spezia and DW and I walked from the port terminal (a free port shuttle bus will take you to the terminal from your ship) to the train station.  The walk takes about 30 minutes, and although our visit was early in the season, we still found ourself waiting about 30 minutes in a long queue to buy train tickets (we bought a day pass which gave us unlimited use of the trains).  

On our day, the many of the scheduled trains were running late which meant we spent more times waiting then we had planned.  Also keep in mind that if you decide to stop at Corniglia (one of the most charming villages) you would need to wait for the small shuttle mini-bus.  That bus runs about every 20 minutes, quickly fills up, and can cause long delays (just moving between the remote train station and the village).  If you are on a tight schedule, Corniglia is the village to avoid (save it for a trip when you have a few extra hours).

Hank

• Like 2

Just there a few days ago - if you can walk to the train station I recommend it as there is a long wait for taxis and they charge $15 euro for a 1.5 mile trip.  Expect large crowds at the train station as well as the towns themselves.  They are all beautiful but have just become a tourist mecca.  Another tip - the only public bathroom is at the train station and the lines were always long if you can time it to go a bit after the trains leave it will help as everyone heads there as soon as they get off train.  Also, we wished we had brought our swim suits as it was hot and Monterosso had a large lovely beach.  Also, check for trail updates - we planned to hike to Riomaggiore as well but the trail was closed.

Sorry to hijack the OP’s thread but I’m wondering about coming back late afternoon on the trains. Maybe those with experience of this can comment.  I imagine they will be really busy all the time but if you plan to get on in Riomaggiore ( last stop before La Spezia) is there ever the situation you just can’t get on the train due to overcrowding? I’m thinking maybe train out and ferry back might be better?

On 6/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Rocky Mountain Cruisers said:

Just there a few days ago - if you can walk to the train station I recommend it as there is a long wait for taxis and they charge $15 euro for a 1.5 mile trip.  Expect large crowds at the train station as well as the towns themselves.  They are all beautiful but have just become a tourist mecca.  Another tip - the only public bathroom is at the train station and the lines were always long if you can time it to go a bit after the trains leave it will help as everyone heads there as soon as they get off train.  Also, we wished we had brought our swim suits as it was hot and Monterosso had a large lovely beach.  Also, check for trail updates - we planned to hike to Riomaggiore as well but the trail was closed.

We will be in La Spezia on the Sun Princess on August 9. According to Cruisemapper.com we will be the only ship in port that day. Should we still expect very large crowds in the towns from other tourists? It's the last day and port of a two week cruise so I'm wondering if we want to just relax and enjoy the ship on the last day or trek out in the heat and crowds on the last day of our vacation. Any thoughts?

On 6/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Rocky Mountain Cruisers said:

We will be in La Spezia on the Sun Princess on August 9. According to Cruisemapper.com we will be the only ship in port that day. Should we still expect very large crowds in the towns from other tourists? It's the last day and port of a two week cruise so I'm wondering if we want to just relax and enjoy the ship on the last day or trek out in the heat and crowds on the last day of our vacation. Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, abouna said:

I take it this is the card we want to buy:

Cinque Terre Rail MS 1 day Adults
32,50 €

Correct.  Personally, Cinque Terre for me is a bucket list destination.  No way would I stay on the ship for the day, but that’s just me.  I would try to be among the first debarking and deal with the crowds.

I will be in La Spezia in just two weeks. In the group we are 14 of the family with ages from 75 years to 3 years.

Within my family I am in charge of preparing excursions and I think it is the one that is stressing me out the most.

I'm going to review it. For those who haven't done it, I'll still give you some ideas or advice. To whoever made it, I appreciate you reading it and giving me your impression.

- You have to get up early that day. Difficult thing when there are several teenagers in the group wanting to party... but you have to get up early. Breakfast is early and you have to leave the port on a shuttle for a very short distance.

- I have consulted La Spezia bus schedules to go from the port to the train station. And I think we are not going to take them because of the complexity of buying a ticket. I have not known how to do it through a mobile application (I have only seen how to buy monthly passes for residents) and they are sold in stores and tobacconists, none near the port.
So head to several taxis. 15 euros/taxi for 4 people. If they are larger they charge a little extra (and you save an additional taxi)

- We arrived at the station. I know that you can buy Cinque Terre cards online... on a page that doesn't work. I hope it gets fixed because I have read in several places that the line is incredible to buy them at the ticket office. I have already noted how many tickets of >70, >12, and family packs to buy according to prices. Just let the website work.
If we buy them at the ticket offices, we have to validate them before using them from what I have seen.

- Trains run three times an hour with different schedules. Departure times from La Spezia, XX:15, XX:25 and XX:55. Depending on the time, you have to wait 10, 20 or even 30 minutes. I have read that they are not punctual at all. You will have to be patient.

- And once we manage to get on (I have read that the trains are very crowded), I have pointed out Riomaggiore, Manarola and Vernazza as the three main towns to visit. Monterosso is larger and less beautiful and Corniglia does not have a port, it is on a cliff, you have to climb and... it is not the same. It is the town to avoid.

I plan to visit each town for an hour or so, and simply go to the port, and maybe to a viewpoint.
Taking into account that the group is large, it will not be easy for us to go too fast and time passes very slowly. Maybe I say an hour and we are already two hours into the first one.

- I haven't even worried about where we can get something to eat. I leave that to my brothers.

- And on the way back, once at La Spezia station it is very easy to buy bus tickets and use a line that will leave us in front of the port.

For those of you who have done it, any advice?

On 6/9/2024 at 9:22 PM, abouna said:

I take it this is the card we want to buy:

Cinque Terre Rail MS 1 day Adults
32,50 €

We are a family of four but the kids are 21 and 13. I suppose the family ticket (which is for 2 adults and two children), means for small children correct? I couldn't find a description on the website. 

2 hours ago, abouna said:

We are a family of four but the kids are 21 and 13. I suppose the family ticket (which is for 2 adults and two children), means for small children correct? I couldn't find a description on the website. 

I am in the same situation than you and... I guess 4 adults.

This is, they do not have an "adult fare" but an "over 12 fare"

and it is not a family ticket but a "2 over 12 and 2 under 12" ticket

1 hour ago, alserrod said:

I am in the same situation than you and... I guess 4 adults.

This is, they do not have an "adult fare" but an "over 12 fare"

and it is not a family ticket but a "2 over 12 and 2 under 12" ticket

Just booked a boat tour of Cinque Terre for the last day. Everyone says it is a bucket list item to see but didn't want to fight trains, hot/humid weather and overcrowding on the last day of the cruise. It goes by all the towns, stops for an hour or so at one and swimming. Small boat-up to 8 people. $128 a person. With the train pass being like $37.00 plus all the hassle, decided to enjoy the last day without fighting the heat and crowds as much.

I was really considering even the small ferry that links all the villages, but we will be 14 people and two of them in the group trend to get sick on small ships..... so direct to the train

6 minutes ago, alserrod said:

I was really considering even the small ferry that links all the villages,

The day we were there (2 days ago) it was a gorgeous, beautiful day, but the water was rough and no ferries were running. Just an FYI. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GAgaltravel said:

The day we were there (2 days ago) it was a gorgeous, beautiful day, but the water was rough and no ferries were running. Just an FYI. 

Thanks. We will definitely go by train. I found an app to buy them in advance (with a 3% fee)

On 6/14/2024 at 12:49 PM, GAgaltravel said:

Have seen that happen on several visits, which is one reason we do not use the boats.  There are also queues for the boats and the frequency is not as good as the trains.  When we use trains (like last month) we simply do our own thing and head to the station when we are ready to leave.  With a boat, one usually needs to set their schedule based on the boat schedule...which is not our thing.

Hank

Posted (edited)

@alserrod @Hlitner @GAgaltravel@abouna

And here is the grand slam scenario. We were staying at Monterosso for three days. On day 2, there were high seas so the ferries did not run AND there was a train strike for the Cinqueterre line only on the same day! We had a wonderful beach day, but I am sure there were many disappointed people.

So, check the "sciopero" website for scheduled strikes and keep your options open. Do try for the ferries at least one way because the views are wonderful, but have your train info ready just in case. If there is a scheduled train strike, check the weather report for the ferries. If all goes south, improvise.

Enjoy. It is a beautiful place.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1