Kiel - Wall?

I thought I read somewhere that old Kiel was surrounded by a wall and that you could walk on it - similar to Rothenburg.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  If confirmed, how do I get to it from the Cruise Port?

Thank you!

Diane

I don't believe that's true.  I have been to Kiel twice on port stops, and while both times I took excursions out of the city, I believe if such a wall existed, our route out of town would have included a look at it, or at least the guide would have mentioned it.  If I am wrong, I am sorry I missed it!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:45 AM, Diane Rose said:

I thought I read somewhere that old Kiel was surrounded by a wall and that you could walk on it

I am also puzzled by this.  On our Kiel port stop we went out to the observation deck of the Holtenau(sp?)  locks  before returning to town and following a self guided walking tour and there was no mention of walls, walkable or otherwise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 8:45 AM, Diane Rose said:

I thought I read somewhere that old Kiel was surrounded by a wall and that you could walk on it - similar to Rothenburg.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

While I am not able to confirm or deny, whether you read that, I can clearly confirm that present day Kiel does NOT have anything like a city wall. Kiel does have some sights, but not too many historical buildings. The city was heavily destroyed during WWII.