Vancouver Disembarkation...

Returning from an Alaskan cruise on 20 September 2024 on the Celebrity Edge. Are there porters as you disembark to schlep your luggage thru customs? Are there taxis waiting to take you to the Vancouver airport? 

Our Passports expire 25 Jan 2025. Will our Passports still be valid for our 13 thru 20 September Alaskan cruise? The cruise leaves from Seattle and returns to Vancouver? 

5 hours ago, doghog said:

Returning from an Alaskan cruise on 20 September 2024 on the Celebrity Edge. Are there porters as you disembark to schlep your luggage thru customs? Are there taxis waiting to take you to the Vancouver airport? 

Our Passports expire 25 Jan 2025. Will our Passports still be valid for our 13 thru 20 September Alaskan cruise? The cruise leaves from Seattle and returns to Vancouver? 

Every country I know needs your passport to be valid for 6 months after your return date so you will definitely need to renew.

if you need assistance with your luggage re mobility issues the ships porters assist. I’m not sure they do otherwise. There are plenty of taxis and set price. 

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Every country I know needs your passport to be valid for 6 months after your return date so you will definitely need to renew.

That's not even remotely true. Every country does not require your passport to be valid for 6 months after your return date...some require three months and some only require your passport to be valid during the time of your stay. The number of countries requiring 6 months validity is in the minority of countries...particularly if you're a US citizen.

The OP didn't state which country's passport they're carrying but if they're a US citizen Canada only requires a passport valid for your time there and the US permits reentry into the country through the passport's expiration date. If the OP is a Canadian citizen to enter the US their passport only has to be valid for the length of their stay.

However, some cruise lines and airlines impose a blanket six month requirement because it eliminates the need to keep track of the various individual country rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, doghog said:

If you're a US citizen your passports are fine. However please check your cruise line's rules because some impose a six month requirement for all passengers on all itineraries regardless.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That's not even remotely true. Every country does not require your passport to be valid for 6 months after your return date...some require three months and some only require your passport to be valid during the time of your stay. The number of countries requiring 6 months validity is in the minority of countries...particularly if you're a US citizen.

The OP didn't state which country's passport they're carrying but if they're a US citizen Canada only requires a passport valid for your time there and the US permits reentry into the country through the passport's expiration date. If the OP is a Canadian citizen to enter the US their passport only has to be valid for the length of their stay.

However, some cruise lines and airlines impose a blanket six month requirement because it eliminates the need to keep track of the various individual country rules.

My bad sorry.

I obviously don’t know too many countries 😩 I thought it was a standard requirement 

7 hours ago, doghog said:

Yes, there are porters... but depending how many other ships are in port, and how quickly you get off your ship compared to other pax same day, having a porter available right away isn't guaranteed! Ditto on Taxis - they'll be there to get there very fair $41 fixed rate fare to the airport, but unless you are aming the first folks off the queue for cabs can get pretty long... fortunately, even if you are not an Uber/Lyft user, more and more other folks are - every one of them reduces demand for the cabs, so I'd be shocked if you had to wait an hour even on a 3 or 4 ship day.

Heading straight to the airport is never recommended of course - a same day flight is always a little bit risky even if it's mid-afternoon (big storms, busted azipod, medical emergency that forces a detour etc. etc. etc.) and there's so much to see and do around Vancouver that if you can afford the time, at least one night and then an early flight back home that you don't have to fight cruise pax traffic at YVR to get on is a far more pleasant way to end a vaycay!

Speaking of Immigration & Customs - Canada is among the more techy-savvy and just plain convenient nations to enter, especially when cruising... your ID will be run remotely before you even reach port, and if there's any reason to give you some extra questioning you can expect your name to be called out to report somewhere aboard once you reach the first Canadian port so CBSA can decide whether to even let you off the ship! No criminal record, no unlucky 'same name as someone else who did something bad' or the like, and like most folks you just walk off the ship once it's cleared.

Customs is likewise done remotely - cards filled in aboard and dropped off at reception, usually the night before your arrival in Canada as a deadline. Assuming you are a foreigner, not Canadian, we really don't care much about Customs so you may literally not even see anyone from CBSA for either element of your entry! Us locals are liable for Duty, so if we declare over duty free limits a chat, and a payment, awaits us ashore! Unless foreigners declare something illegal, in need of specific import paperwork, or just get really unlucky with a random extra search it's usually much faster.

And as mentioned above, if it's a US (or Canadian!) Passport then our government doesn't care about a future expiration date at all - not sure about Celebrity's rules, as I have never cruised with them, but if they're good to let you aboard with only ~4months left you won't have issues from Canada.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all. Very helpful info. We are U.S. Citizens. We are cruising with Celebrity. I'll touch bases with Celebrity concerning their Passport policy. Better safe than sorry.  Not criminals, our last name isn't a common one and other than my 98 year old mother and my wife (😂, no going there) I'm the only other one with the last name.  

Edited by doghog