Summit Itinerary Change for Hawaii

cruzin princess

We are just so disappointed and are going to cancel and transfer our bookings as soon as new Itineries come out. We love see days but there is no way we are flying more than half way around the earth for 4 1/2 days of Hawaii only on a 13 day cruise.......Since we have always had Itin problems on ever X cruise we have taken in the last (7 cruises in the last 4 years) We have never had an X cruise with the Itin we actually booked!!!! This time we have now had it and are probably going to cancel.

We were booked on th 3/07 Hawaii trip and have only found out through this board of the change of itinery.

We are extremely disappointed. Booked in October 05 and have been counting down the days.We are from the U.K. and have reluctantly decided that the now 3 1/2 days of Hawaii is not enough to justify travelling so far.

It seems like we will forfeit our deposit. However, we have decided that it is better to lose £200 and book another vacation elsewhere. This was our first experience of Celebrity and I think probably our last.

Crosby please check with Celebrity in the UK as they might let you transfer your booking to another Itin / at a later time for a very much smaller fee!!!! This would save you cancelling an save the deposit!!!

We are loyal Celebrity fans. When we decided to do another Hawaiian cruise we booked on Royal Caribbean this time because we didn't want to cruise round trip from the main land.. too many sea days, not enough port day. Anyways, RCCL has removed Kauai as a port as well, stating "berthing conflits" as the cause. The real problem is that NCL is coming out with a new ship in Hawaii and they have a monoply there now. RCCL is offering us $50.00 onboard credit on our sailing. I must say also, I got a call last nite from RCCL to tell me about the change which I thought was great customer service. Our sailing is Oct.5 on the Serenade of the Seas.

Hubby and I plan to go to Hawaii next year in fall of 07 on either X or RCI we are diamond memebers I look at like this it is a transatlantic crossing with some port days. I did go to Hwaii as a kid but I hate to spend $1440 on airfare to HNL to try out nCL which I have no desire to really try and be disapointed.

Lexi

Just returned from the Summit and the day we were in Kauai I was told that they may cancel this port all together. All I could gather was that there had been isssues in the past. The flooding did occur and caused fr the ship to cancel most of the excursion. The early morning helicopter tours and zip;ine went on as scheduled. I heard the island is beautiful.

We had no time in Maui in fact I am not sure it was worth getting off the ship. We were on hold for the tender to get off the ship for 40 minutes then it was another hour to get back on the ship. We had not real time in one of the most beautiful ports. I wished they had cancelled Kauai, but we undertsand that a gentlemen had passed away the day before I am am guessing that they needed to get him into port ASAP plus don't forget Celebrity does have to pay the docking fees. It was a complete waste of time people were riding to WAlmart, Kmart and Hilo Hattie's, a great way to spend your time.

I found this thread tonight (Sunday) and will call my TA tomorrow, as my wife and I are sailing next Sunday (4/9) to Hawaii on the Summit. I cannot seem to find any changes to the schedule on the Celebrity site, but I have no doubt our Waimea Canyon, Fern Grotto excursion will be cancelled. Here are a couple of links ( the first is a news story on the flooding with a map and the second link is a google image map of Kauai. There is good information about road closures on the news link.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/19/news/story02.html

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.joetourist.ca/hawaii/graphics/Hi-Kauai-map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.joetourist.ca/Hawaii/HiKauai.htm&h=966&w=668&sz=157&tbnid=3F6IuSOkxkcJ:&tbnh=148&tbnw=102&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkauai%2Bmap%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

Although we are a bit disappointed, we are praying the rain will subside and allow us to take the rest of our planned excursions.

Thanks for the update. I would not have known if not for this thread.

Dennis

I was on the same sailing as tcocktail, but I cannot totally agree with that posting.

In Kauai we had a rentalcar. Despite the rain in the morning we drove to 2 beautiful waterfalls,an old plantation house, visitied various small towns, Hanapepe Lookout (of course we would have loved to drive Waimea Canyon, but roads were closed), Poipu Beach etc. We had a great day.

In Lahaina we had just a few hours (7-3) but we rented via Internet a Jeep from Islandriders. They picked us up at the pier, their office is in Lahaina. We drove to Iao Needle, the maui Tropical Garden and Kanaapali. Finally we did some shopping in Lahaina.

That day was too short. If the day would have been longer (like you will have), make the trip to the top of Haleakala or maybe even drive the road to Hana.

Not just we, but also our table-mates would have loved to be much longer in Lahaina.

Sorry you miss Kauai, but again more hours in Lahaina make that stop worth it.

I'm very sorry for you all who are effected by this schedule change. Kauai is truly a beautiful place and a 'not to be missed island' However, in light of making the best of it you will be seeing the NAPILI COAST. Remember that many past cruisers drove the Waimea Canyon to the end hoping to get a brief glimpse of the Napili Coast and others paid a fortune to take a zodiac excursion there. You will surely see it in all it's splendor. (that said, I would still be mad!!!)

I can't help but think that this will seriously affect Celebrity's sales ( and sails ;) to Hawaii. We loved our cruise on the Summit in Jan. but 4 ports in 14 days is going to be a tough sell. Jayna k

Old itinerary (after sea days):

Hilo 10-6

Kailua Kona 7-6

Nawiliwili (Kauai) 7-5

Honolulu 7am-11pm

Lahaina (Maui) 7-3

New itinerary:

Hilo 7-6

Honolulu 7am-11pm

Lahaina 7am-11pm

Napali Coast cruising

Kailua Kona 7-2

We were NOT happy with the changes at all. This is not a cruise we are likely to repeat so we want it to be exactly what we want. We have already canceled. We will rebook, maybe with X maybe not, whoever has the best itinerary. For now we chose an 11 night Southern Caribbean in its place.

Happy Cruising to all!

You didn't say when you would be sailing but perhaps it has something to do with all the flooding Kauai has had recently with earthen dams breaking, etc. Maybe they're thinking it might not be safe to dock and have people on the island :confused:

We are just off Summit. I asked CD, John Howell, about the itinerary changes. It has nothing what so ever to do with possible future weather conditions and all to do about desired schedules and port availability. Celebrity currently spends essentially a half day on Maui. That has received complaints so they are trying to make changes to extend Maui time. They will reduce time in Kona. All this apparently is impacting port availability in Kauai when Celebrity wants it. However, not all schedules will be the same based on availability.

Archived