LA to Hawaii and back

mnkauf

I would like to hear from those who have taken this cruise.  We are thinking about leaving on Dec. 14th.  How rocky was the sea?  Is there a better time when the sea is not rough?   Any other thoughts or comments about this trip are helpful. 

• Like 1

We did the longer 33 night Hawaii / Polynesia sailing last Nov / Dec.  Were told rainy season begins late November and did encounter rougher seas second half of trip.  Most passengers appeared to handle it well.  A ginger chew and maybe a wrist band or patch might help

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mnkauf said:

I would like to hear from those who have taken this cruise.  We are thinking about leaving on Dec. 14th.  How rocky was the sea?  Is there a better time when the sea is not rough?   Any other thoughts or comments about this trip are helpful. 

We have not sailed across the Pacific but live in Califonia and have been to Hawaii many times over the last 50 years. We always go over the winter months.   Just remember December is late fall into winter in Hawaii just like here on the west coast. We've been out on boats on most of the islands and encountered rough water so stands to reason you will experience some rough seas to some degree sailing across.  I would imagine how rough has a lot to do with luck, and your ability to handle it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Was on Star, Hawaiian  Islands Sojourn  28 Dec 2023 thru 13 Jan 2024, LA/LA.

Seas were very rough about 3 hours out of LA.  Just after sail away, Captain warned pax, and he was correct.  Lasted approximately 3 days.  Not frightening, but had to move about carefully, holding railings, walking slowly, etc.  Bags were out.  

Also rough seas on return, approaching West coast, but not as bad as begining of voyage.

Cabin was deck 5 midships, so I suspect those on higher decks fore and aft felt more motion.

We were fine, but noticed public venues did lack several pax.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Was on Star, Hawaiian  Islands Sojourn  28 Dec 2023 thru 13 Jan 2024, LA/LA.

Seas were very rough about 3 hours out of LA.  Just after sail away, Captain warned pax, and he was correct.  Lasted approximately 3 days.  Not frightening, but had to move about carefully, holding railings, walking slowly, etc.  Bags were out.  

Also rough seas on return, approaching West coast, but not as bad as begining of voyage.

Cabin was deck 5 midships, so I suspect those on higher decks fore and aft felt more motion.

We were fine, but noticed public venues did lack several pax.

We were on Star the cruise just before yours. Both crossings were fairly rough and it rained all 4 days in Hawaii. Not the normal "rain then clear" in the islands, all day rain.

Conversely, we have sailed transpacific many times, always marveling at how well-named the ocean was, as it was nearly always dead flat.

December 2023 was just a tough month  - to the OP, there is never any way to successfully predict sea state or any "good times" necessarily. Even if it's rocky, it's still a great trip - enjoy! 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

We did this is February 2024.  Those terrible storms that ravaged California that month were out there for us.  It was very rough both going and coming.  Not much fun, although we don’t get seasick. And not a lot of bang for your buck with only four days in Hawaii, and Ensenada really not a nice port.  If we go to Hawaii again, we will fly and DIY.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

We were on 6 forward, our preferred cabin.  

We did this on Princess November 2018.  We had 35 foot swells for one day on return.  The ship hit them head on and due to the long fetch it was a long elevator up and then down.  Rather fun actually.

Fetch is the distance peak to peak which is why big seas are easier in the Pacific as the longer the fetch, the shallower the slope.  This is one reason why lakes seem to be rougher than oceans, steep waves close together 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 7:14 PM, SantaFe1 said:

We did this is February 2024.  Those terrible storms that ravaged California that month were out there for us.  It was very rough both going and coming.  Not much fun, although we don’t get seasick. And not a lot of bang for your buck with only four days in Hawaii, and Ensenada really not a nice port.  If we go to Hawaii again, we will fly and DIY.  

Our favorite is to rent a condo, and of course car, which on most islands you need.  Did Oahu last year without a car and really liked that also but easy to do in Waikiki Beach area.  Our favorite islands are Molokai, then Kauai.  The RT Hawaii cruise doesn't appeal to us, as much as we love cruising.  And to add, cruise ships do not stop on Molokai, and right now only one island hopper company. Harder to visit but well worth the effort.  

Star Feb14, 2024 - deck 5 midship - 40ft seas for 3 days going out and slightly less returning. We don't suffer sea sickness so we never missed a meal. The thermal spa was particularly invigorating and cresting a 40 ft swell, becoming weightless (floating in bed) was added enjoyment. Bottom line, we chose this cruise for the sea days and we enjoyed every one of then despite and due to the weather. Crew was great and entertainment top notch  🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Patriot1791 said:

Star Feb14, 2024 - deck 5 midship - 40ft seas for 3 days going out and slightly less returning. We don't suffer sea sickness so we never missed a meal. The thermal spa was particularly invigorating and cresting a 40 ft swell, becoming weightless (floating in bed) was added enjoyment. Bottom line, we chose this cruise for the sea days and we enjoyed every one of then despite and due to the weather. Crew was great and entertainment top notch  🙂

This past November I found out why no one else was in the spa pool when we hit a huge swell and I got thrown into a wall. The sauna was much safer. It did feel at one point that we were bouncing to Bora Bora but I’d do it again anytime!

We took the cruise departing December 7, 2023.  One night was a bit rough, the next day and night were pretty rough - they had the motion sickness bags out.  Lots of things fell off the dresser and counter in our cabin.  We didn't get sea sick, but going to lectures and other events in the Star Theater during rough seas made me nauseous - I was ok otherwise.  We made our own arrangements for visiting the Arizona at Pearl Harbor and Road to Hana - both bucket list items for me.   Weather was cool, but only had one day of rain.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

This past November I found out why no one else was in the spa pool when we hit a huge swell and I got thrown into a wall. The sauna was much safer. It did feel at one point that we were bouncing to Bora Bora but I’d do it again anytime!

Really surprised they didn’t close the thermal spa during rough seas. I have been on VO when they have drained the warm pool & the pool midships.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was surprised too, but Same on our cruise—the captain didn’t close off anything, not even the outside venues, although most people just stayed in their cabins.  The dining venues were often empty as people had room service or just didn’t feel like eating.  I took this photo of our position in a big set of pacific storms back in February. 
IMG_3491.thumb.jpeg.2ee23f18d5c56f3a4e57085e7a110455.jpeg

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Really surprised they didn’t close the thermal spa during rough seas. I have been on VO when they have drained the warm pool & the pool midships.

Our weather wasn’t dangerously bad. I never saw the seasick bags out at least. It was a weird bumpy ride, but apparently I was the only one trying to enjoy the spa pool.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:14 PM, SantaFe1 said:

If we go to Hawaii again, we will fly and DIY.

I'm not a cruise fanatic like some on this board, so I don't get the draw of being on the sea more than on the islands. We go to Maui every Jan/Feb and even if the weather isn't ideal - it will be better tomorrow (usually) and it definitely will be better than Iowa in January.

• Like 1