Dubrovnik restaurant

We will be in Dubrovnik on our anniversary. The ship doesn't leave port until 8:00 so we thought that we would like to go to a nice restaurant to celebrate.

The only trick is that my wife doesn't eat seafood. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

On 6/5/2024 at 3:12 PM, marazul said:

@curlerguy

Fish Restaurant Proto is excellent and they also have non-fish dishes.  Wonderful terrace.

Can't disagree, but one should be forewarned that the prices are a bit steep.  We will be in Dubrovnik for a couple of nights (pre-cruise) in late summer and have thought about dinner at Proto.  We are still having some fun considering all the options in the area (we will not be staying in the walled city area).

Hank

We ate at the Posat Restaurant, very near to the Pile gate.  That was in 2019, but i googled the place and it is still in business with excellent reviews.  They have an outdoor terrace with lovely views, the food was very tasty (we had fish, but there are other menu options) and they specialize in very attentive service. It is rather pricey, but for a special occasion, worth it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are still having some fun considering all the options in the area (we will not be staying in the walled city area).

Hank, you could perhaps consider the Lapad area of Dubrovnik.  This is where beaches are to be found, hotels, many restaurants and a nice coastal walk.  And quite a lot of it is pedestrianised which is a bonus. It is also well connected to the Old Town by public buses, and  I assume, also by taxis.

We only visited one time from Gruz but  spent a lovely few hours there and adjoining Babin Kuk   We went by direct bus from Gruz, but as  these are less frequent,  when returning , rather than wait in the heat we took a bus to Dubrovnik proper (but not Pile) before switching to another for Gruz.  I  cannot remember the name of the stop where we switched for Gruz, but if looking at the Dubrovnik  bus route map, it is the stop where many bus lines meet 9before Pile0)as it is an interchange stop.

I don't know if there has been a change post pandemic and Croatia also  switching to euros, but it used to be that if a bus ticket was bought from the driver it was good for only one ride, if bought from a kiosk or other outlet, a change to a second different bus could be made on the same ticket at no extra charge, but that you would need to check.

Or you could consider staying in pretty Cavtat which is really close to the airport, and with direct buses to the bus station at Gruz next to the cruise terminal, that would be an easy transfer with luggage.

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, you could perhaps consider the Lapad area of Dubrovnik.  This is where beaches are to be found, hotels, many restaurants and a nice coastal walk.  And quite a lot of it is pedestrianised which is a bonus. It is also well connected to the Old Town by public buses, and  I assume, also by taxis.

We only visited one time from Gruz but  spent a lovely few hours there and adjoining Babin Kuk   We went by direct bus from Gruz, but as  these are less frequent,  when returning , rather than wait in the heat we took a bus to Dubrovnik proper (but not Pile) before switching to another for Gruz.  I  cannot remember the name of the stop where we switched for Gruz, but if looking at the Dubrovnik  bus route map, it is the stop where many bus lines meet 9before Pile0)as it is an interchange stop.

I don't know if there has been a change post pandemic and Croatia also  switching to euros, but it used to be that if a bus ticket was bought from the driver it was good for only one ride, if bought from a kiosk or other outlet, a change to a second different bus could be made on the same ticket at no extra charge, but that you would need to check.

Or you could consider staying in pretty Cavtat which is really close to the airport, and with direct buses to the bus station at Gruz next to the cruise terminal, that would be an easy transfer with luggage.

Thanks for the tips :).  We were in Dubrovnik (last month) for a port day and, since we had lots of remaining shore excursion credit (on Oceania), we took an excursion that visited some wineries located some distance from town.  It is really convenient that Croatia is now using the Euro.  For our upcoming visit we are staying out at the Lapad area (right on the water) so your advice is very encouraging.  We have been in the walled part of town a few times, so for this stay we wanted to check-out the Lapad area.

DW and I are fans of Cavtat and will definitely fit another visit into our plans.  We not only are spending the two nights, but will be back for two turn-around days on our cruise.  The last time we went to Cavtat we took the local bus and than returned via a ferry.  It is our go to town for lunch.

Hank

Posted (edited)

Agree.  We have been three times and enjoyed lunch sitting around the harbour after the peninsula walk watching the activity on the superyachts although with a number now impounded there may be fewer of them.

Have you walked the peninsula? If not I strongly advise that you do so.  It is our #1 reason for going there as it avoids the crowds in Dubrovnik, is a flat walk unless you go up to the cemetery for the views, and is quite shaded in places with some seating along the way. And much of it borders the seashore and bathing areas.Enjoy.

Apologies to the OP curlerguy for temporarily highjacking his thread.

Edited by edinburgher

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been in the walled part of town a few times, so for this stay we wanted to check-out the Lapad area

sorry Hank.  I have now  noticed I had not "quoted" you in the above added post so wanted to alert you to it- despite it not being important.

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

sorry Hank.  I have now  noticed I had not "quoted" you in the above added post so wanted to alert you to it- despite it not being important.

No issue and we are really glad you mentioned that Lapad.  We currently have reservations at the Dubrovnik Palace, which looks like it is in a good location to explore that part of town.

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 8:23 AM, lynncarol said:

We ate at the Posat Restaurant, very near to the Pile gate.  That was in 2019, but i googled the place and it is still in business with excellent reviews.  They have an outdoor terrace with lovely views, the food was very tasty (we had fish, but there are other menu options) and they specialize in very attentive service. It is rather pricey, but for a special occasion, worth it.  

Thanks for posting this. I’ve made a reservation at this restaurant based on online reading, and it’s nice to hear from someone who has been there.