Looking for the best day beach clubs in Cannes (on La Croisette)

Va Gi

Hi everyone! I am looking for the best day beach club in Cannes (on La Croisette) but I can't seem to choose one. Here are my options:

• Annex
  • Hyde 
  • La mandala 
  • La mome
  • Miramar 
  • Carlton
  • L’écrin
  • CBeach
  • La plage de martinez (hyatt)
  • Maema
  • Lucia

Thoughts on these? Any advice and recommendations is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

@Va Gi I saw your previous post, but beach clubs/restaurants are not something we use much. We prefer walking in the sun and if we are swimming prefer rocky settings like Cap d'Antibes or Isle St Marguerite. I usually get the impression that most of the beach restaurant's food is overpriced for what they serve.

Having said that, a quick look at Google Maps suggests you've already decided you want to be on The Croisette. There seem to be four nearer the port on Bd Jean Hibert.

I can only suggest that you try to find websites or FB pages for some and look at content of their menus, drink lists and sun bed/parasol pricing, then pick on which seems most to your taste.

Unless people spotting is high on your priorities I would think those attached to big luxury hotels will be worst value for money.

Edited by D&N

23 hours ago, D&N said:

@Va Gi I saw your previous post, but beach clubs/restaurants are not something we use much. We prefer walking in the sun and if we are swimming prefer rocky settings like Cap d'Antibes or Isle St Marguerite. I usually get the impression that most of the beach restaurant's food is overpriced for what they serve.

Having said that, a quick look at Google Maps suggests you've already decided you want to be on The Croisette. There seem to be four nearer the port on Bd Jean Hibert.

I can only suggest that you try to find websites or FB pages for some and look at content of their menus, drink lists and sun bed/parasol pricing, then pick on which seems most to your taste.

Unless people spotting is high on your priorities I would think those attached to big luxury hotels will be worst value for money.

We do think you are correct.  When we are in Cannes (where we have stayed a few times) we simply head to the free and sandy beach of Plage du Midi, which is within walking distance of the ship tenders.   Many of the beach clubs are focused on the hotel crowd, overcharge everyone, and are not on the sandiest part of the beach.  In fact, many of those clubs have their expensive loungers on wooden platforms.  Yuck. 

As to People Watching (i.e. looking for the rich and famous), most of the time folks will be terribly disappointed,  The rich/famous are often off on their daily yacht trips or at more private locations.

Hank

• Like 1

@Va Gi

I agree with the above.  Those beach clubs charge ridiculous amounts for what you get. 

If you do decide on one, look at the menus and make sure they offer Soupe de Poissons, Salade Niçoise, and Loup or Daurade Grillé.  Those are the classic beach dishes.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your helpful insight! 

@Hlitner Does the Plage du Midi rent chairs and beach umbrellas? Also does this beach have nearby restaurants?

@marazul When I tried emailing a beach club to know their prices for renting the beach chairs and umbrellas (it is not mentioned anywhere on their website), they disregarded my question. I'm not sure if they forgot to answer it, as I had included other questions, or if they proposedly don't make their beach prices known until we get there. Would you happen to know approximately how much it costs to rent a beach chair and umbrella at such beach clubs in Cannes?

Thank you everyone in advance!

9 minutes ago, Va Gi said:

@Hlitner Does the Plage du Midi rent chairs and beach umbrellas? Also does this beach have nearby restaurants?

@marazul When I tried emailing a beach club to know their prices for renting the beach chairs and umbrellas (it is not mentioned anywhere on their website), they disregarded my question. I'm not sure if they forgot to answer it, as I had included other questions, or if they proposedly don't make their beach prices known until we get there. Would you happen to know approximately how much it costs to rent a beach chair and umbrella at such beach clubs in Cannes?

Thank you everyone in advance!

The beds are called "transats."  Many reserve them only for people who reserve at the restaurant. Some, such as La Mandala, let you reserve directly with preference to those who also reserve at the restaurant. The price is according to row and it is above 50€.  Go to the websites and there should be a link for "plage" or "soleil." Click there and you will see the conditions.  Some you have to reserve by contacting them. 

https://www.lamandala-cannes.com/beach/

The prices will be a lot less at the Plage du Midi. Some of those have nice restaurants. Expensive, but not insane. Generally, you reserve the table.  To secure the beds, you may have to call them. There are some, like Le Benitier, where you can reserve the transats for the day and use the restaurant.  Also priced by row, but around 25€. They also rent towels ("serviette").

https://www.lebenitiercannes.com/restaurant/plage/

• Like 1

Le Benitier gets a decent rating on Google, and prices for beds are similar to a restaurant in a much less fashionable town near us.

Food/drink prices aren't that inflated.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:58 AM, Va Gi said:

The last time we were on Plage du Midi, nobody was renting chairs.  Not sure if this changes once one gets into the prime season.  As to restaurants, we actually prefer the restaurants near the Plage du Midi (also near the tender pier).  There are quite a few cafes/restaurants just across the street from the nearby marina (when you walk from the tender area towards the heart of town the marina is on your right and restaurants on across the street.  Most of the eating venues on the Croisette are very overpriced which does go with that territory.   Our favorite dinner restaurants are around a hilly area just Northwest of the marina/harbor.  That neighborhood is full of small places (most set-up tables outside) which decent cuisine.  There is something romantic about sitting in a narrow street, with laundry flapping the breeze above, and enjoying excellent French cuisine.  Unfortunately for cruisers, many of these cute places are only open in the evening.  I should also mention that cruisers who like to dine at 5pm would also be out of luck as many European restaurants are not even open at that early hour.

Hank