Need Help With Picking Train Ticket to Dover

My flight arrives at LHR at 6:15 am.  I am flying business class so should be able to get off the aircraft fairly quickly and luggage should be out first.  Although I arrived at the same time last August and getting through customs and collecting luggage was quick, I'm thinking I should allow at least an hour, maybe more.  My plan is to take the Picadilly line from LHR to Kings Cross and catch a train from St. Pancras.  I know this will take an hour and there are quicker ways, but I don't want the hassle of navigating from Paddington to St. Pancras.  I'm assuming since the Picadilly line originates at LHR and it will be early Saturday morning, that there shouldn't be an issue with getting a seat and room for luggage.  

I want to take the fast Direct train to Dover so I don't have to manage luggage.  I'm in no hurry to get to Dover and am debating whether to book the 11:07 train advance rate or go for the Off Peak and perhaps take an earlier train.  I couldn't find particulars on the Off Peak time restrictions.  Can I assume if it's being offered on all the trains for a day, that there is no time restriction?  If I buy a timed ticket and miss that train, I believe I read the cost would be applied to the purchase of a ticket for a later train that day.  The difference in fares isn't huge but I don't want to waste money either.

I appreciate any thoughts or insights on which way to go.  

image.png.ce83142c012233d9ab98b01bbf53546e.png

I will let locals respond with detailed suggestions, but you could buy 2 advance tickets for less than one off-peak (which I'm pretty sure is valid all day on Saturday).

47 minutes ago, WendyVF said:

I'm assuming since the Piccadilly line originates at LHR and it will be early Saturday morning, that there shouldn't be an issue with getting a seat and room for luggage.

Correct. The same actually also applies on every other day of the week, even though the train will be busier on weekday mornings than on Saturdays.

47 minutes ago, WendyVF said:

I couldn't find particulars on the Off Peak time restrictions.  Can I assume if it's being offered on all the trains for a day, that there is no time restriction?  If I buy a timed ticket and miss that train, I believe I read the cost would be applied to the purchase of a ticket for a later train that day.

The Off Peak ticket will be valid on any train that shows availability for an Off Peak ticket, which should be every train on a Saturday, as gnome12 says (and as corroborated by what you have seen for other trains that day). I don't think you need to formally change your ticket; you just get on whichever train you want with the ticket that you already have. I don't think that you can reserve seats on these trains, so there are no issues in that respect.

It's correct that you might save a bit of money by buying two Advance tickets for different times instead of one Off Peak ticket, in case you miss the first specific train for which you have bought an Advance ticket. But the disadvantage is that if you do miss that train, you then have to wait for the second specific train.

In contrast, if you're travelling with an Off Peak ticket, you basically just turn up and travel at whatever time you want on that day (given that all trains should be Off Peak and an Off Peak ticket should be valid on all of them). In other words, you don't even really need to think about train times.

The 11:07 would be playing it very safe IMHO. Assuming your flight is on time you’d probably be at St Pancras well in time for the 9:07 and certainly for the 10:04. 

The off-peak ticket is valid on any train that day. With an Advance ticket you can change it on the day, paying the fare difference plus a £10 fee as long as you change it before the train you originally booked departs.

If it were me, I think I’d book a £15.50 advance for the 10:04. If your flight is delayed and you’re not landside at Heathrow until after 8:30 (but before 10:04), stop by the airport rail station ticket office before catching the tube, and get them to change your ticket for a later train.

Thanks so much for the information.   I booked the 10:04 train.  I'll have access to the arrivals lounge at LHR so I may stop to change clothes and grab a bite to eat before heading to the train.