Cruises out of Ft Lauderdale-handicap access

Txcotn

Does anyone know about this? My TA has been told by Crystal that there is NO wheelchair service at the Ft L port and that there are NO wheelchairs available on the ship. We have cruised for 30 years on Crystal and have seen many many people going onto the ship in wheelchairs and very many in wheelchairs marked CRYSAL SYMPHONY/SERENITY  Does anyone know what gives? Did Crystal give wrong info (they gave wrong hotel info) or is Manfredi trying to freeze us oldies out? This is critical for us as mildly handicapped to just get onto and off the ship. Thanks all.

I don't believe that Crystal has stopped in Port Everglades for sometime.

Your TA should be able to confirm this with either:

On Board Guest Services at:  obgs@crystalcruises.com or Guest Relations at:  guestrelations@crystalcruises.com

I would start with on-board guest services.

I have seen wheelchairs on the ship.

I do know though that most USA ports (maybe all) forbids Crystal crew from assisting guests such as pushing their wheelchairs at the port.  

And no one is trying to freeze anyone out.

Keith 

• Like 1

Keith, November 9 is Ft Lauderdale to Bridgetown. This info came from my TA via Crystal, I could hardly believe it. Of course I know crew can't do wheelchairs but I would think the port would. It's a long walk.

34 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

Keith, November 9 is Ft Lauderdale to Bridgetown. This info came from my TA via Crystal, I could hardly believe it. Of course I know crew can't do wheelchairs but I would think the port would. It's a long walk.

I would be sure the TA contacted either guest relations or on board guest services.

Also, I would post a question under Florida Ports Of Call asking if they provide assistance at the port.  Someone will know.

And I might call Port Everglades too.

Keith

In our experience

-Crystal does not provide wheelchairs for personal onboard usage..BYO

-The line does offer WC assist for boarding and debarking.

- Generally, crew will wheel you to the end of the gangplank where port personnel then take over.
-We usually do not request WC assist until we arrive at the port…but one needs a different approach if boarding in Venice. We request WC assist for debarking while onbiard.

• Like 1

Thank you, Paula, I was hoping someone had "been there done that" and could give some input. This is for Ft.L and getting through the terminal to the ship is my big concern, I can probably handle things on board with a walker with a seat. However I have seen many wheelchairs with Crystal written on the back and guests using them.....as I said, through the terminal is the big issue. Thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Thank you, Paula, I was hoping someone had "been there done that" and could give some input. This is for Ft.L and getting through the terminal to the ship is my big concern, I can probably handle things on board with a walker with a seat. However I have seen many wheelchairs with Crystal written on the back and guests using them.....as I said, through the terminal is the big issue. Thanks for your help.

As Keith noted, this varies by terminal and agency. I’ve definitely seen a whole stash of wheelchairs onboard both ships, BUT especially in almost all of the US (though not exclusively), Crystal’s crew can’t just go in the terminal and perform whatever services they feel like — it’s not their jurisdiction in most ports here.  😔  Hopefully this can be worked out with the port with some help from Crystal though, as there are plenty of operators and destination management agencies in FL and Port Everglades that offer wheelchair assistance in their portfolio.

Vince

Thanks, Vince, always spot-on! If I can acquire a "rollator" walker with a seat I will be good on the ship, it's the distance in the port to the ship that is the issue I just can't walk so far...

• Like 1

Last year in Miami the port staff put me in a wheelchair until I got onboard. Once on board I didn’t need a wheelchair and my cane was good enough for me.

I saw people using the Crystal wheelchairs on board but i understand that they are reserved for unexpected accidents while on board. 

Thank you! Through the port to the ship is my biggest concern. Do you recall any assistance with carry on baggage with the wheelchair? Porter maybe? 

7 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Thank you! Through the port to the ship is my biggest concern. Do you recall any assistance with carry on baggage with the wheelchair? Porter maybe? 

Didn’t see any assistance. My husband managed our carry ons. They click together. In some airports the wheelchair operators are very adept at moving both the wheelchair and your carry on. In fact they sometimes move two wheelchairs…one in each hand. This would be hard when boarding a ship but on a flat surface it is amazing what can be done.

Perhaps you can place your carryon on your lap. Agree w Emdee regarding the talents of many ‘wheelers’. Often they are able to tuck your carryon under the seat. Try not to over worry; it will work out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After many calls to Crystal by our TA, we reached an experienced person at Crystal who said

"OF COURSE there is wheelchair assistance for embark/debark! And she is henceforth reserving it for me. Bottom line, I think it's safe to suggest that you don't take the first answer from Crystal as Gospel, ask several people and hope you get a holdover from OC, sadly, there are MANY new agents who just aren't familiar with what we have come to expect.                                               

• Like 4

I am glad it worked out for you.  For some questions like this one, there are others to go to who are not the sales agents and that includes on board guest services.  

Again, glad this one is resolved and an example of the benefit of having a travel agent who can run down these types of things.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I am glad it worked out for you.  For some questions like this one, there are others to go to who are not the sales agents and that includes on board guest services.  

Again, glad this one is resolved and an example of the benefit of having a travel agent who can run down these types of things.

Keith

Hi Keith. I have always enjoyed your blog, but it appears you aren’t cruising any more or have given up the blog. I miss it! Best, Laura in MA

13 hours ago, MLA said:

Hi Keith. I have always enjoyed your blog, but it appears you aren’t cruising any more or have given up the blog. I miss it! Best, Laura in MA

Thank you very much Laura.

We do have cruising plans for this year.  I am in the second year of a very big two year volunteer commitment which is why there has been a large gap this year from our last cruise ending in January of this year and now. The good news is we have booked cruises which largely avoid conflicts with my volunteer responsibilities.  

I do plan to blog and will also post here before the start of each cruise and during each cruise.

Keith

• Like 9

On 6/11/2024 at 6:55 AM, Keith1010 said:

Thank you very much Laura.

We do have cruising plans for this year.  I am in the second year of a very big two year volunteer commitment which is why there has been a large gap this year from our last cruise ending in January of this year and now. The good news is we have booked cruises which largely avoid conflicts with my volunteer responsibilities.  

I do plan to blog and will also post here before the start of each cruise and during each cruise.

Keith

Glad to know you aren’t having health issues  congrats on your volunteer efforts!

• Thanks 1