slightly different passport expiration question

PGca

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I think I would be guided by whatever it is Princess says.  They are who you will be dealing with at the embark terminal.  Bringing proof their stated policy is incorrect may not get you anywhere.  Renewing the passport is relatively painless.  All Mom really needs to do is sit for a photo and sign the form. You can do the rest.   

Enjoy!  

thanks ~ what helps is that expedited processing is now 2-3 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks like it was last year and if there was any hiccup with a 6-8 week timeline, she would definitely would have been without a passport in time to fly ! and I knew England would have let her into the country with her old passport with 5 months validity.... hence my hesitation to renew ..... but 2-3 weeks processing time + overnight mailing is easy peasy .... so that's the way we'll go .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PGca said:

thanks ~ what helps is that expedited processing is now 2-3 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks like it was last year and if there was any hiccup with a 6-8 week timeline, she would definitely would have been without a passport in time to fly ! and I knew England would have let her into the country with her old passport with 5 months validity.... hence my hesitation to renew ..... but 2-3 weeks processing time + overnight mailing is easy peasy .... so that's the way we'll go .....

We just did expedited.  For what it is worth, we had the new passports in two weeks.   We have yet to get the old ones yet.  I guess it can take up to 2 months for the old ones to be returned. I'm not sure why they are mailed separately, but we don't have any needed visas in the old ones so not a big deal for us.   

I'm also booked on a UK and Ireland cruise and we went through Princess official travel agent in Germany. Here is what our booking confirmation says (translated from German):

"For all trips, the passport must be valid for 6 months after the end of the trip, regardless of the destination. Please also ensure that there are enough blank pages in the passport."

So it seems renewing your mum's passport was the right choice, even if it is frustrating that Princess insist on a rule that very much does not apply to the UK or Ireland.