Best snorkel options for a solo cruiser?

Judyrem

Posted (edited)

I am doing my first solo cruise on Beyond and we are in Cozumel as our fist port.

What would you recommend for a solo snorkeler?

BTW my husband and went diving in Cozumel for years, so I am familiar with the Island,

Edited by Judyrem
Mistake

2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I am doing my first solo cruise on Beyond and we are in Cozumel as our fist port.

What would you recommend for a solo snorkeler?

Snorkeling alone is never recommended but are you looking for a group excursion from a boat or somewhere you can go independently and just snorkel from shore?

Are you an experienced snorkeler or a casual person who just wants to see some fish? 

Be aware there are strong currents in Cozumel and much of the snorkeling is “drift” snorkeling. 

• Like 1

I have been drift diving in Cozumel for years,  I don't have my dive buddy anymore therefore my  question about snorkeling  solo.in a group tour.  I am not doing  shore snorkeling alone unless it's in a safe and secure beach club.

4 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I have been drift diving in Cozumel for years,  I don't have my dive buddy anymore therefore my  question about snorkeling  solo.in a group tour.  I am not doing  shore snorkeling alone unless it's in a safe and secure beach club.

If you are familiar with diving in Cozumel you will know that most the offshore reefs are quite deep to be visible snorkeling and most of the near reefs have suffered damage through bleaching and storms although there are efforts to restore them.

Most group boat snorkels do go to several locations and others may be able to recommend specific operators or book through a broker.

I am not too familiar with organized group snorkels from shore. Most popular places like Money Bar, Sky Reef Buccanos are simply entered independently although you will find several people there. Playa Uvas offers group snorkels but I am not sure it will be of the standard you are looking for. 

Beach clubs like Nachi Cocom (popular safe venue for singles) or Palancar offer add-on short boat snorkels from the beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

If you are familiar with diving in Cozumel you will know that most the offshore reefs are quite deep to be visible snorkeling and most of the near reefs have suffered damage through bleaching and storms although there are efforts to restore them.

Most group boat snorkels do go to several locations and others may be able to recommend specific operators or book through a broker.

I am not too familiar with organized group snorkels from shore. Most popular places like Money Bar, Sky Reef Buccanos are simply entered independently although you will find several people there. Playa Uvas offers group snorkels but I am not sure it will be of the standard you are looking for. 

Beach clubs like Nachi Cocom (popular safe venue for singles) or Palancar offer add-on short boat snorkels from the beach.

Thanks for recs about Palancar and Nachi Cocom.

I was just in Bonaire a few months ago with my  son and daughter and we  snorkeled constantly from shore.

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

Thanks for recs about Palancar and Nachi Cocom.

I was just in Bonaire a few months ago with my  son and daughter and we  snorkeled constantly from shore.

There is shore snorkeling on Cozumel just not as good as in years gone by according to experts but seems to suffice for the casual snorkeler - I am just not aware of any group snorkels other than Playa Uvas, although I am sure someone will correct me, maybe Chankanaab? Sky reef has had good reviews recently.

Another lead you might follow if you are interested is the restoration program at Sunset Beach, which is led by guides I believe. 

• Thanks 1

Money Bar, Buccanos, the public access between Las Brisas Condos and the "President's House", Chen Rio... lots of good places for solo shore snorkeling, depending on sargassum.

RE: Playa Uvas and Money Bar

Having done them both multiple times, the snorkeling and food is better at Money Bar, IMO. Saw a lot more ocean life and variety.

The Uvas group tour is really meant for beginners.

On 6/11/2024 at 5:16 PM, grantbob said:

RE: Playa Uvas and Money Bar

Having done them both multiple times, the snorkeling and food is better at Money Bar, IMO. Saw a lot more ocean life and variety.

The Uvas group tour is really meant for beginners.

Ooof... is food at Playa Uvas that bad?

We always say we go to Money Bar in spite of the food not being very good - because the snorkeling is good, and they have some of the nicest bathrooms on the island.

It's been several years since I've been to Uvas, and they have changed management and expanded since then FWIW.

I was looking at some more recent Uvas videos for our upcoming cruise and it looks like the food is about the same as it used to be. Everyone is different, but we do prefer the Money Bar food, and the restrooms and kitchen seem quite a bit cleaner to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I went solo to Chankanaab and quite enjoyed it.  The snorkeling was perfectly adequate and quite close to shore, plus there are underwater statues, and they have a dive shop on site if you care to rent a tank.  There are other things to do there too, like a sea lion show and tequila tasting and a walk with Mayan ruin replicas, but the beach area is gorgeous with shaded seats and hammocks.  There were also free lockers available to use, which I found helpful as a solo.  I would steer clear of the "with lunch" option, though.  The lunch is served at one buffet, and the lines are so long they spiral inside and out of the building, and it's not even good.  There are 3rd party restaurants on-site that offer a better value. That said, as a solo, I've found that the price of the excursion through the ship is approximately the same price as going independently, and if I can get a free drink at least...Hey! Bonus!

• Like 1