Marseille excursion July 1, 2024

boxerlovers

Posted (edited)

We will be in port in just a few weeks on July 1 and we are celebrating our 35th Anniversary on that day as well. The prior tour we had scheduled did not get enough people to sign up (through ItalyTours) so I am trying to figure out a new plan. Wanted to try and make the day extra special, yet we really can't pay $800+ for a private tour either. Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. (Many of the prior posts I was reviewing seem to be older...) Thanks so much!

Edited by boxerlovers
changes

7 hours ago, boxerlovers said:

Wanted to try and make the day extra special, yet we really can't pay $800+ for a private tour either. Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. (Ma

7 hours ago, boxerlovers said:

Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. (Many of the prior posts I was reviewing seem to be older...)

This is not the first time you have asked the same question in recent days.  Members responded to the first one here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3012997-naples-livorno-and-marseille-port-excursion-advice/#comment-67500756

The info may date back a few months, but as none of it has changed it should still be current. 

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

This is not the first time you have asked the same question in recent days.  Members responded to the first one here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3012997-naples-livorno-and-marseille-port-excursion-advice/#comment-67500756

The info may date back a few months, but as none of it has changed it should still be current. 

I was asked by the admin to post my Marseille question on the France page instead, so that is what I did. Sorry for the repitition. 😢

We responded to the OP's other post, but will cross post some thoughts.  If the OP is of the mindset that they can only do things as part of a tour, we cannot be of much help.  However, Marseille, like nearly every European port, can be done on one's own.  This requires some pre-cruise homework, some planning, a little spirit of adventure, and some "travel common sense."  

If you choose to stay in Marseille (not my favorite place) you can certainly walk around the old port area, take a boat over to Chateau d'If, use local public transit to see other parts of the city, etc.  Another terrific option is to simply go to Aix en Provence (a city that is popular with many cruisers) by using the train or bus (the local bus station is adjacent to the St Charles Train Station.  The journey is about a half hour and Aix has plenty to see and do (just google the city and print out info).  Keep in mind that, with the exception of Hop On Hop Off buses, DIY travel generally means a substantial amount of walking.  Not only do you actually get to see more than on most tours, but you do it at your own pace, have plenty of time for a nice lunch (always a good thing in France, Italy and Spain, etc.

There are plenty of other DIY options (besides Marseille or Aix) but they tend to be a bit more complex.  For example, one can use trains to go all the way to Avignon.  or   One can rent a car and use it to explore various parts of Provence (such as the Luberon, go to Pont du Gard, Les Baux, etc.

The main limitations on DIY port days is one's own comfort level (risk tolerance), and dealing with the time element.  The general cred of DIY travelers (we have been doing it for over 50 years) is to go to your furthest point (from the ship) early in the day, and work yourself back towards the port.  The idea is to be back within "range" of the port somewhat early (we suggest DIY novices' figure on being back close to the port about 2 hours early).

Hank

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, boxerlovers said:

was asked by the admin to post my Marseille question on the France page instead, so that is what I did. Sorry for the repitition. 😢

Ordinarily they would have moved it themselves had it been a "standalone" country , but with Italy also mentioned in the same thread and you were already on the Italy board, they could not move the full thread.

My apologies for not realising that.

There will be Michelin starred restaurants in both Aix and Marseille should the authentic (and not inexpensive) bouillabaisse  option in Marseille not appeal.

Edited by edinburgher

On 6/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, Hlitner said:

We responded to the OP's other post, but will cross post some thoughts.  If the OP is of the mindset that they can only do things as part of a tour, we cannot be of much help.  However, Marseille, like nearly every European port, can be done on one's own.  This requires some pre-cruise homework, some planning, a little spirit of adventure, and some "travel common sense."  

If you choose to stay in Marseille (not my favorite place) you can certainly walk around the old port area, take a boat over to Chateau d'If, use local public transit to see other parts of the city, etc.  Another terrific option is to simply go to Aix en Provence (a city that is popular with many cruisers) by using the train or bus (the local bus station is adjacent to the St Charles Train Station.  The journey is about a half hour and Aix has plenty to see and do (just google the city and print out info).  Keep in mind that, with the exception of Hop On Hop Off buses, DIY travel generally means a substantial amount of walking.  Not only do you actually get to see more than on most tours, but you do it at your own pace, have plenty of time for a nice lunch (always a good thing in France, Italy and Spain, etc.

There are plenty of other DIY options (besides Marseille or Aix) but they tend to be a bit more complex.  For example, one can use trains to go all the way to Avignon.  or   One can rent a car and use it to explore various parts of Provence (such as the Luberon, go to Pont du Gard, Les Baux, etc.

The main limitations on DIY port days is one's own comfort level (risk tolerance), and dealing with the time element.  The general cred of DIY travelers (we have been doing it for over 50 years) is to go to your furthest point (from the ship) early in the day, and work yourself back towards the port.  The idea is to be back within "range" of the port somewhat early (we suggest DIY novices' figure on being back close to the port about 2 hours early).

Hank

Hank, we have been to Marseille a few times and also prefer to travel to Provence rather than spend the day in Marseille.  Last time we were there, I booked a rental car which we had to pickup in an area that was not in a “pleasant” part of town.  Do you by chance have a preferred rental car suggestion?  Also, would love to hear any of your favorite areas in or around Aix….we just sort of wander which is always lovely but I’m sure we are missing things.  Our visit is early October, FYI.  

Just now, ramidon1 said:

Hank, we have been to Marseille a few times and also prefer to travel to Provence rather than spend the day in Marseille.  Last time we were there, I booked a rental car which we had to pickup in an area that was not in a “pleasant” part of town.  Do you by chance have a preferred rental car suggestion?  Also, would love to hear any of your favorite areas in or around Aix….we just sort of wander which is always lovely but I’m sure we are missing things.  Our visit is early October, FYI.  

No, we have no great solution to the rental car dilemma.  In the past (and this was all pre-Covid) we rented from several different agencies all located in the vicinity of the train station.  To be honest, we have found many neighborhoods in Marseille to be less than "pleasant" which is only one reason we prefer to take ourselves somewhere in the nicer parts of Provence.  

As to Aix, when we do visit that city, we usually find ourselves just wandering around the old town part of town.  I had also mentioned that the Cours Mirabeau is a decent area for folks looking for a nice area to have lunch.  We have spent several extended vacations in Provence, and have rented apartments in both St Remy and Avignon (inside the walls).  Avignon is our favorite area to use as a base, but parking can be a hassle.  When we rented in St Remy (for 2 weeks) it was a fun experience and we started to feel like locals as we neared the end of our 2nd week.  The downside to staying in St Remy was that there was a limited number of restaurants (within walking distance) for dinner, and not a lot of later evening life.

For the info of others reading this thread, Provence is primarily a rural region that can only be explored with some kind of vehicle.  Friends, who prefer using trains and/or buses have learned (the hard way) that one really needs a rental car in this part of France.  Parts of Provence have been impacted by the flood of immigration, and there are some parts that seem "less French" such as Arles.   Choosing a base, for a longer visit, is certainly more of a challenge today than it was a few years ago.

Hank