Laptops

GoldenGopher

I saw several passengers on The Grand using their laptops in the lobby....I think on deck 5 and 6.....There is a wireless hookup in that area. We had good coverage using the internet cafe.....One attendant showed us a trick to find a fast computer terminal....Log onto the princess cruise line web site, which is free to see how fast a particular terminal is running. It really made a difference....

Is there a place to hookup a laptop computer on the Grand? Where is the hookup? Is it available in balcony stateroom? Is it worth bringing?

It's cheaper and more efficient to use your laptop than the computer's Internet cafe. Using your laptop you can log on, download email, then logoff. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, then log off.

The hot spot is the lobby (guest relations) area. $10.50 for 30 minutes of time.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone ever used their laptop for listening to music while in their cabin? I have been thinking about buying an MP3 player or Ipod for music but won't my laptop do the same thing? Thanks for any help on this.

Kathy

Has anyone ever used their laptop for listening to music while in their cabin? I have been thinking about buying an MP3 player or Ipod for music but won't my laptop do the same thing? Thanks for any help on this.

Kathy

Yes it will, but I love my IPod. I bought one before our trip to Hawaii and now my entire CD collection is on it! The CDs are packed away in the garage ... hate those dust collectors.

I take my laptop and use it to download and edit my digital pictures every day, so I'm not faced with looking through 300-500 pictures some day in the future. We also like to take some DVDs with us to watch while getting ready in the morning and for dinner.

As another poster said, you can write out your e-mails without being online and then just go online to send and you can attach pictures of your trip too!

It's cheaper and more efficient to use your laptop than the computer's Internet cafe. Using your laptop you can log on, download email, then logoff. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, then log off.

The hot spot is the lobby (guest relations) area. $10.50 for 30 minutes of time.

Just to make sure I understand... Do you have to buy 30 minutes blocks of time to use the WiFi? (Not 15 minutes, for example) If so, can you use the 30 minutes over a few days or do you have to use it all at once? Based on your post, I assume you can use a few minutes here and a few minutes there. If so, that sounds like a much better arrangment than I anticipated.

We always take our laptop and build the website for that cruise while on-board .. that way our kids get to keep up with Mom and Dad .. There is always a package for more minutes and it is to be used over the course of the trip. We find that WiFi works a lot of places they say it won't .. for instance Crooners on Sapphire was great .. and never busy during the day !!!

Just to make sure I understand... Do you have to buy 30 minutes blocks of time to use the WiFi? (Not 15 minutes, for example) If so, can you use the 30 minutes over a few days or do you have to use it all at once? Based on your post, I assume you can use a few minutes here and a few minutes there. If so, that sounds like a much better arrangment than I anticipated.

Yes, you can use a few minutes here, a few minutes there. Spread it out over a few days, maybe the entire week. It's been a while, but I'm sure we got three or maybe four "sessions" out of a 30 minute block. Log on, download email, log off. Then take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send replies, log off. Very efficient.

Kathy

For years I have taken a laptop. Several hundred hours of music, download –edit-save photos and watch DVD’s from home.

You still have to buy time from the pursers desk to use your laptop.

Ron

I took my lap top on the Golden, I didn't have to go to the purser's desk for anything - my computer automatically detected the wifi network and I just had to follow the simple instructions.

Does Princess have wireless capabilities on all of her ships?? We'll be on the Island.

The Island has wireless. Not sure if it is fleet wide, but I had my laptop in Feburary and had excellent access in the atrium ... again the pursers discouraged me from buying/using time while we were at sea (for 5 days).

Yes. Wireless internet is available on the Diamond. We used it in the Internet Cafe where there were three laptop workstations. $10.50 per half hour.

I'm planning on using my (wireless enabled) laptop that I'm bringing with me on the cruise. Do you know which wireless internet service they use (i.e. T-Mobile, etc)?

We just came back from a California vacation, Napa Valley, SF, ect. We take a lot of pictures with our 2 cameras, and use them for our website which does travel picture reviews. This time we did not bring our laptop due to increase in airport security.

Throughout the trip we went to various camera stores and emptied our cards onto CD's. We checked the CD's, yet when we got home 2 of them were not readable. I cannot begin to tell you what a disappointment it was. NEVER again will we leave home without the laptop. While on vacation we dont much look at EMails, but just for picture storage it is worth the hassle... Trust me!

Kathy

I play music, bring movies and download all my digital pictures onto my laptop...then I do a slide show, so when I come into my room I can glance at my computer scene and see all the stuff I've done so far. Love my laptop.

While on vacation we dont much look at EMails, but just for picture storage it is worth the hassle... Trust me!

It was very handy for our photos, every evening before bed I would download all the pics from that day into a folder. Sometimes I would even crop them and reduce the sizes. It made much less work when I returned home plus they were all organized by day/port.

Archived