Setting up your cabin account

We're going on the Sky July 3 - I have two cabins.  Its a 4 night cruise. We are headed to WDW after the cruise and am doing some last minute "budgeting".  Mine and DH's cabin have $300 obc - we have the drink package and pre paid our DSC.  The "kids" cabin does NOT have OBC, they have the drink package too, and I did prepay their DSC too. 

The question is:  If I put a credit card down for both our rooms - how much do they hold per cabin?  If I put cash down, do I get that back on the last night in cash form?  We're travelling for two weeks and I'm trying to keep good track of all the incidental charges/holds that the ship and hotels and rental cars are going to do.  🙂

Hello,

To answer part of your question, I'm not sure how much they hold on a CC but I've never had an issue after the cruise using my card. At the end of the cruise, they will charge your card for any amount just as if you used it in a store.  Any cash you don't use you will get that refunded right back to you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bernard530 said:

Hello,

To answer part of your question, I'm not sure how much they hold on a CC but I've never had an issue after the cruise using my card. At the end of the cruise, they will charge your card for any amount just as if you used it in a store.  Any cash you don't use you will get that refunded right back to you.

ooohhhh - so its more like a "card number on file" type thing than a "holding $500 thing" interesting.  thank you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiser Who Knows Nothing said:

We're going on the Sky July 3 - I have two cabins.  Its a 4 night cruise. We are headed to WDW after the cruise and am doing some last minute "budgeting".  Mine and DH's cabin have $300 obc - we have the drink package and pre paid our DSC.  The "kids" cabin does NOT have OBC, they have the drink package too, and I did prepay their DSC too. 

The question is:  If I put a credit card down for both our rooms - how much do they hold per cabin?  If I put cash down, do I get that back on the last night in cash form?  We're travelling for two weeks and I'm trying to keep good track of all the incidental charges/holds that the ship and hotels and rental cars are going to do.  🙂

NCL will run an authorization on your card for each room up to $300. As charges are made to your room account exceed the initial authorization, NCL will run additional authorizations. At the end of your cruise, NCL runs a final charge against your card. Most/all banks can’t match the incremental authorizations to the final charge, so the authorizations will be about 2 times your total room charges. 

Your Bank, not NCL decides how long those authorizations tie up your available credit line. 

If you set up a cash account, NCL policy is $300 per person in the room (7-nights). $150 pp for cruise less than 7 days. $450 pp greater than 7 days. 

You must cash out and close your account on the last night of the cruise. You will be denied disembarkation on morning of arrival if you have a positive account balance and be sent to the cashier to cash out. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL will run an authorization on your card for each room up to $300. As charges are made to your room account exceed the initial authorization, NCL will run additional authorizations. At the end of your cruise, NCL runs a final charge against your card. Most/all banks can’t match the incremental authorizations to the final charge, so the authorizations will be about 2 times your total room charges. 

Your Bank, not NCL decides how long those authorizations tie up your available credit line. 

If you set up a cash account, NCL policy is $300 per person in the room (7-nights). $150 pp for cruise less than 7 days. $450 pp greater than 7 days. 

You must cash out and close your account on the last night of the cruise. You will be denied disembarkation on morning of arrival if you have a positive account balance and be sent to the cashier to cash out. 

thank you - I really dont see how I'm  going to get to $300 per cabin in extra charges.  maybe a couple room service fees for the kids - - I have $300 OBC which Im' going to stuggle to spead, 

Am I missing anything that I "need" whilst on board?  Haven't sailed in 10 years - used to cruise yearly...then college happened for the kids.  LOL - so we are giving it another whirl.  So much to remember, catch up on and learn.  🙂

I don't know anything about OBC, but when it comes to credit card hold my experience is that any hold is released before they make the actual charge. 

• Like 2