St. Catherine Beach and Warwick Long Bay beach???

gdlamberth

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George.  I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine. Looking for comments on snorkeling at either place (not a requirement just a nice to have) and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay.  

Thanks for all inputs,

Greg

16 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George. 

Assuming Oceania Insignia? If so it's one of the best cruises to Bermuda in terms of docking locations and how it lets you see the island-- being in St Georges and then downtown Hamilton makes a huge difference. We've done it a few times and frankly once you've done it this way its hard to go back. 

18 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine.

You can walk to both-- keep in mind that it is uphill most of the way and if it is ghastly hot and humid it will be a miserable trudge. Also keep in mind that a good bit of it is on narrow road, with no sidewalk, that has walls rising from either side. Cars and motor scooters will mind you but keep an eye out and you might end up pressed against the wall a few times. Taxis are easily available in St Georges, usually lined up when the ship docks in the morning, so if its hot just use one. 

Both of them have their charms. Tobacco Bay is a bit sheltered while St Catherines is more of a beach. Major benefit these days at St Catherines is the newish St Regis resort. While you cant use the pool facilities on the beach not being an overnight guest you can dine, get drinks, etc. 

Also a lot of fun over that way is going for drinks/lunch/dinner at Rosewood Tuckers Point. Great set up and a short taxi from St Georges. 

27 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay. 

On this cruise we typically divide our time on either side of the island depending on the day. We'll stay on the East side for the St Georges overnight. Saves a bunch of cab fare. From Hamilton you can take a bus to Warwick and Horseshoe but we typically take a taxi. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

We'll be spending three days and two nights in Hamilton and one in St. George.  I am looking at St Catherine as a less crowded alternative to Tobacco Bay and Warwick Long Bay as another pink sand alternative to Horsehoe Bay.  Since we dock in St. George at 0800, I think we could be to Tobacco Bay pretty early and maybe avoid so rush.  It looks like we can walk from dock at St. George to both Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine. Looking for comments on snorkeling at either place (not a requirement just a nice to have) and transportation suggestions for 4 to Warwick/Horeshoe Bay.  

Thanks for all inputs,

Greg

There is public access at St. Catherine but there are no amenities. I have walked to Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine but if you are there in August or early September it is hot and humid. You will probably regret it. If you want an uncrowded  beach from St. George I suggest taking a taxi to Coopers Island. One of the beaches Clearwater has amenities and is not crowded and inside Coopers Reserve are pristine beaches that are practically empty. For Warwick and Horseshoe you can take a bus or taxi from Hamiltion. I recommend a taxi. I usually start at Wawick and walk to Horseshoe. For snorkeling Tobacco Bay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1