Mykonos beach?

We have plans for every port on our Athens to Venice cruise except this one. I was planning on taking a bus to Paradise Beach but after watching a YouTube video, dh thinks it will be a big party scene so he’s not interested. I think that’s just at night but I could be wrong. I just want a pretty beach with amenities, that’s easy to get to. I also think Ornos Beach looks nice. Is one easier to get to than the other?  I don’t see a beach transfer option on our NCL app. Any better ideas?

Depends on the cruise line and the day there are there - how many other ships in port, etc..

There are also regular taxis and buses.  Search this board for "Mykonos beaches"

It looks like they either use the new port or tender. I have researched some. I know we can take a water taxi to town and then a bus to the beach. I was hoping we could just take a water taxi straight to the beach. Just seems more efficient, but if not at least we will get a chance to see the windmills. 

We will be in Mykonos on October 4, 2024.  Will the beaches still be busy?  Is it still common to go to the beach that late in the season?  Would the foot path to the five beaches be a good thing to do?  Thank you

4 hours ago, Speedy1313 said:

We will be in Mykonos on October 4, 2024.  Will the beaches still be busy?  Is it still common to go to the beach that late in the season?  Would the foot path to the five beaches be a good thing to do?  Thank you

It would be close to the end of the season.  Many beach facilities might be closing down and the water getting cold.

This is a bit dated but we to Paradise Beach mid October in 2016 and it was pretty quiet.  We grabbed a small lunch at a restaurant on the beach and eventually hiked it over to Platis Gialos and back.  It was fine as an activity upon itself to explore the area but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to beach hop.  

We took the bus to Ornos beach June last year and I thought it was nice.  There wasn't a party scene. FWIW, we did see a water taxi stop there.  I forget its route and pricing though.

If taking the bus, I don't think going to one beach or another is more convenient than another other than time/distance.  

• Thanks 1

We know longer no the "rules" regarding crowds and the season.  When we were in Mykonos, in April, the island was overrun with tourists (from cruises and land visitors).  This used to be the so-called shoulder season, but to us, it seemed like prime season.  Santorini was even worse (it was hard to even walk in Oia...due to crowds).

Will this be the situation in October?  Since the OP's cruise is in early October, my gut tells me things will still be crowded.  The good news is that they day they are to visit, there is only one other ship.  Normally I would expect early October sea water temps in the low 70s F (about 21C).  But these days it seems like sea temps are on the high side, so perhaps they get the mid 70s.

Hank

I've spent a lot of time researching Mykonos for an upcoming trip on Sun Princess. In all my different cruises, so far this is the stop that I find least appealing, and Princess has not made it easier for us; with a 12p arrival, we are either too late for most of the excursions we would have done, or departing too early. Princess also has very few appealing options for excursions of their own.

What we've come up with is to arrange for a car service to pick us up from port and transfer to one of the southern beaches (Ornos, in our case). The water taxi runs along the southern beaches, but to get there, you have to get from port or tender to the old town (most cruises seem to dock at the new port), and then from there a bus to Ornos. There are crazy few taxis on the island for some reason, supposedly the bus is good and somewhat frequent, but I'm traveling with a special needs teen so we need to make getting around as simple as possible.

Ornos is where the water taxi starts, so we're planning to beach hop a bit using it. It stops at six other beaches, ending in Elia, and we thought the water taxi sounded like a fun activity in itself. We made reservations at Nikolas Taverna, which gets excellent reviews, at Agia Anna beach, and that's where our transfer service will pick us up to go back to the cruise ship. 

As a previous poster noted, most of the beaches seem to have a "party" element to them - there are beautiful beaches to the north but they're really inaccessible without a private transfer. There were a few beaches where we could have reserved loungers and umbrellas - at 100 euros and up mostly, with a minimum food and drink requirement. That, with the loud music, is not an option for us in many ways. I've read that there are smaller places where you can rent loungers the same day for less money, so I'll report back after the trip.

If I weren't hampered in my traveling style on this trip, we would have definitely booked tickets to go to Delos, which sounds amazing. But hot hot hot, and apparently you're not allowed to swim at those beaches.

Just now, edub said:

I've spent a lot of time researching Mykonos for an upcoming trip on Sun Princess. In all my different cruises, so far this is the stop that I find least appealing, and Princess has not made it easier for us; with a 12p arrival, we are either too late for most of the excursions we would have done, or departing too early. Princess also has very few appealing options for excursions of their own.

What we've come up with is to arrange for a car service to pick us up from port and transfer to one of the southern beaches (Ornos, in our case). The water taxi runs along the southern beaches, but to get there, you have to get from port or tender to the old town (most cruises seem to dock at the new port), and then from there a bus to Ornos. There are crazy few taxis on the island for some reason, supposedly the bus is good and somewhat frequent, but I'm traveling with a special needs teen so we need to make getting around as simple as possible.

Ornos is where the water taxi starts, so we're planning to beach hop a bit using it. It stops at six other beaches, ending in Elia, and we thought the water taxi sounded like a fun activity in itself. We made reservations at Nikolas Taverna, which gets excellent reviews, at Agia Anna beach, and that's where our transfer service will pick us up to go back to the cruise ship. 

As a previous poster noted, most of the beaches seem to have a "party" element to them - there are beautiful beaches to the north but they're really inaccessible without a private transfer. There were a few beaches where we could have reserved loungers and umbrellas - at 100 euros and up mostly, with a minimum food and drink requirement. That, with the loud music, is not an option for us in many ways. I've read that there are smaller places where you can rent loungers the same day for less money, so I'll report back after the trip.

If I weren't hampered in my traveling style on this trip, we would have definitely booked tickets to go to Delos, which sounds amazing. But hot hot hot, and apparently you're not allowed to swim at those beaches.

Here's the link to the water taxi website: Mykonos Water Taxi – The Boat between Beaches (santorinidave.com)

Check out Cruisedig.com    Click on the PORT you want and scroll to month/day you will be in that port.  It will show you what other ships will be in port each day and what their passenger capacity is. You might be shocked, or pleased, once you know what your day looks like.  See link below for Mykonos port.

We will be on the small 312 passenger Windstar Star Legend in early October, Athens to Istanbul.  We are in Mykonos on 10/10.  Terrifying to see there will be 10 SHIPS with total capacity of 17,000 PASSENGERS there on our day.  How can that possibly work??  

Our Santorini day on 10/7 shows 3 other ships with 10000 capacity 

https://cruisedig.com/ports/mykonos-greece/arrivals

IMG_3103.jpeg