Sun Princess cabin category changes

MandE

We will be cruising to the Caribbean on Sun Princess later this year. We recently found out that the deck plans would change after October 14th.
Initially we booked a Cabana Suite, but found out that category doesn't include the regular suite perks. We felt that was not a good value, so we changed to a category D1 premium balcony and upgraded to the premium package, and had planned to purchase the Sanctuary pass.
Princess changed some of the cabins that were in our category to D0, and they include the premium package and access to the Sanctuary. Now we aren't able to purchase access because it's guaranteed to certain suite categories and D0's. 
I believe most decks have eight cabins like ours. We're on deck 15, and those cabins are 238, 239, 320, 321, 459, 460, 603, and 604. 
At first they changed 238, 239, 603, and 604 to D0. We called Princess and told us that there was nothing they could do, but felt if our agent called on our behalf that we should receive some kind of compensation or gift.
Our agent was told there was Princess could do for us.
We decided to contact them again and found out that they've changed the categories again, and now the only D0's on the ship will be where 603 and 604 are located on 15. 
Has anyone had an experience like this?
I'm just hoping that Princess has all of the restaurants and entertainment venues up and going when we cruise. There are still a few that still aren't staffed or operational. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As far as I know, ONLY the extended balconies on the AFT of the ship have ever officially been Sanctuary Premium Balconies.  This includes those extended balconies where they are on all decks.  (Perhaps the ones you mention are the only ones available on your sailing?)

So, D1 balconies are just that...  D1 balconies.

There was a LOT of discussion about this as the ship was rolled out, and when the official change to the new Deck Plans with the Sanctuary Club categories was announced.

If you are not in a D0, those located AFT. (where the Sanctuary and many Suites and the Suite Lounge are also located)  then you have the Deluxe Balcony and the type of perks that you had booked.  (So, I doubt that Princess would be sympathetic to your situation.)

Yes, many people are disappointed that there is no longer access to a 'sanctuary', or ANY adult area, on the ship.  This really makes this ship a non-starter for me.

It has been especially disappointing for me, because, back when it was all just talk and rumors, I came SO close to putting a deposit on one of those AFT D0 Premium Balconies.  

There has also been a LOT of discussion here and frustration about venues not being opened.

Princess is almost there,  with most of the production shows beginning to be scheduled...  Love by Britto has just opened - with possible tweaks by Princess.  Park 19, from what I understand, is supposed to be operational this summer.

NOTE:   Along with all of the changes that you are now noticing, it seems that Princess will be moving the restaurant venues all around.   They should be moving The Catch and Butcher's Block from the back of the buffett, and playing musical-restaurants - with some of them landing in different locations.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

Excellent summary by Wishing on a Star!

I booked the D0-aft right after booking opened for the Sun- advertised as included Signature upgrades and benefits.  Through Captain Club on board I was told yes I will get the use of sanctuary & private restaurant.  Through a very rude PVP I was told NO I would get no benefits & upgrades- website had a glitch- too bad.

As of April 23/24 the announcement was made that my DO- aft would be Sanctuary Indicator in my Travel Summary. 
My personalizer shows Sanctuary & private restaurant.

I have Standard fare. I have been charged for 3 Specialty restaurants. 
It looks like I will be charged for wifi, crew Appreciation etc- so I am unclear IF I will get any other benefits.

My fare was reasonable at the time I booked, so I am not expecting anything above what I expected when I booked.

• Like 2

We're currently on the Sun Princess. While we love kids and generally enjoy them being around. As we continue on our third week and the summer season is getting into full swing, the only time we've been able to enjoy the pools without flailing arms and legs coupled with screams of delight (It's OK once in a while but not IMHO every ten seconds) is on the mornings of turnaround days!

We are definitely considering spending the extra money for a sanctuary cabin with its adults-only pool if we ever take this ship during "kid season". - There, I've tied in my comments with the topic of this thread!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beg- Both of my Sun & Star bookings have Sanctuary use. I booked D0-aft & S9 for that reason. However, since we don’t drink much and these cabins now have to have premier prices, we won’t be affording it after this.

• Like 1

No... I won't be either.

I will be abandoning Princess.

It doesn't have to be 'kid season' any more for kids to be onboard.

We have traveled often, choosing times when school years are getting started, or it is time for finals, etc...   That does not seem to help any more.   It is a problem.

Last trip was to a resort in the Caribbean, late April...  We were happy to get a walk-out room, as others all involved a full walk-around because all buildings exited on the main entry side, no way to walk out pool/beach side.

Happened to get a room right were the kids congregated at one of the steps into the pool.   

Needless to say...  first thing every morning...  

12 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

As far as I know, ONLY the extended balconies on the AFT of the ship have ever officially been Sanctuary Premium Balconies.  This includes those extended balconies where they are on all decks.  (Perhaps the ones you mention are the only ones available on your sailing?)

So, D1 balconies are just that...  D1 balconies.

There was a LOT of discussion about this as the ship was rolled out, and when the official change to the new Deck Plans with the Sanctuary Club categories was announced.

If you are not in a D0, those located AFT. (where the Sanctuary and many Suites and the Suite Lounge are also located)  then you have the Deluxe Balcony and the type of perks that you had booked.  (So, I doubt that Princess would be sympathetic to your situation.)

Yes, many people are disappointed that there is no longer access to a 'sanctuary', or ANY adult area, on the ship.  This really makes this ship a non-starter for me.

It has been especially disappointing for me, because, back when it was all just talk and rumors, I came SO close to putting a deposit on one of those AFT D0 Premium Balconies.  

There has also been a LOT of discussion here and frustration about venues not being opened.

Princess is almost there,  with most of the production shows beginning to be scheduled...  Love by Britto has just opened - with possible tweaks by Princess.  Park 19, from what I understand, is supposed to be operational this summer.

NOTE:   Along with all of the changes that you are now noticing, it seems that Princess will be moving the restaurant venues all around.   They should be moving The Catch and Butcher's Block from the back of the buffett, and playing musical-restaurants - with some of them landing in different locations.

Thank you for the great information. but when we booked last year, the cat. D0 wasn't an option nor was packages that included the sanctuary, except some suite options, which were completely booked for our sailing.

17 minutes ago, MandE said:

Thank you for the great information. but when we booked last year, the cat. D0 wasn't an option nor was packages that included the sanctuary, except some suite options, which were completely booked for our sailing.

I see what you mean. They changed a few aft deluxe to DO and did I ever have a hassle over my booking. They were not going to honour the conditions under what I booked. My D0- aft was a higher fare then the midship deluxe category. Said my fare was higher for being next to suites with a big balcony.

The fare for these aft balconies are now way more then we will pay.

Yes,  we are aware of that....  Nobody had inside info.  (so it is like 'welcome to the club')

I am just pointing out that, when they made the change official, only those few AFT extended Premium Deluxe Balconies were ever considered 'Sanctuary' or Reserve either.....  No other balconies.  A very few select people got lucky!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dog said:

Excellent summary by Wishing on a Star!

I booked the D0-aft right after booking opened for the Sun- advertised as included Signature upgrades and benefits.  Through Captain Club on board I was told yes I will get the use of sanctuary & private restaurant.  Through a very rude PVP I was told NO I would get no benefits & upgrades- website had a glitch- too bad.

As of April 23/24 the announcement was made that my DO- aft would be Sanctuary Indicator in my Travel Summary. 
My personalizer shows Sanctuary & private restaurant.

I have Standard fare. I have been charged for 3 Specialty restaurants. 
It looks like I will be charged for wifi, crew Appreciation etc- so I am unclear IF I will get any other benefits.

My fare was reasonable at the time I booked, so I am not expecting anything above what I expected when I booked.

I agree, when we booked compared to the prices now, we've made out like bandits for what we have. Just want a couple of extras. Good thing is we've cruised a few times and know how to make adjustments before, during, and after a cruise.

I re read OP’s post- when I booked my DO aft it had included Sanctuary, private restaurant, Upgrades & benefits.

No premium package, in my case.

If I book this cabin now it would include a premium  package for a much higher fare.

I do not believe those who booked early on are getting free packages- mention of it seemed to be another glitch. I don’t know.

What I do know is I am being charged for CA, wifi, specialty dining.

So, I don’t understand what you are asking Princess for if you booked a D1 cabin.

Re: SIGNATURE SUITE--VISTA SUITE  look like the same cabin in  photos, same layout, on main ship page.

When I choose a signature suite on Sun, it is a SANCTUARY MINI SUITE---not same layout as pictured in ship description on main page for SUN.

4 hours ago, dog said:

I re read OP’s post- when I booked my DO aft it had included Sanctuary, private restaurant, Upgrades & benefits.

No premium package, in my case.

If I book this cabin now it would include a premium  package for a much higher fare.

I do not believe those who booked early on are getting free packages- mention of it seemed to be another glitch. I don’t know.

What I do know is I am being charged for CA, wifi, specialty dining.

So, I don’t understand what you are asking Princess for if you booked a D1 cabin.

5 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am thinking that the real kicker is that you could have booked a Mini-Suite that is now going to be a Sanctuary Mini-Suite.   That would be like 'OUCH!!!'

Hindsight 

When we heard of this, only the two cabins aft and two forward got the add-on. Yesterday we found out that the forward cabins were changed again to a different category. The package is considerably more than we paid, and we would've came out spending less than the bundle if they allowed us to purchase Sanctuary. 

They know that we know, and they're saying no...😖😆

1 hour ago, MandE said:

When we heard of this, only the two cabins aft and two forward got the add-on. Yesterday we found out that the forward cabins were changed again to a different category. The package is considerably more than we paid, and we would've came out spending less than the bundle if they allowed us to purchase Sanctuary. 

They know that we know, and they're saying no...😖😆

Ok, I don’t understand what you are talking about.  Bowing out.