Single supplement even on the travel protection?

I have a Christmas cruise booked in a studio cabin and wanted to see what it would cost for a balcony because I’m starting to worry I will feel claustrophobic in a studio.  I see it is a full double rate which I understand, the solo balconies are sold out.  BUT, in the mock booking it also charged double the travel protection when I opt for it. Is this typical?  Why should I need to buy insurance on a nonexistent second person? I guess the only way around that is to book my own private travel insurance. Weird.  But this is new territory for me.

Are solo insides also sold out?  I have read that independent insurance is less expensive and it was for me when I purchased insurance for my Feb 2025 cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

Are solo insides also sold out?  I have read that independent insurance is less expensive and it was for me when I purchased insurance for my Feb 2025 cruise.

No solo inside is not sold out.  But I would really want a balcony.  Ocean view and Balcony are almost the same price so no point getting ocean view.

Edited by grouchomarx

I understand - just thought if it was the "smallness" of the studio cabin that concerned you, then a larger inside would be better.  I have never been in a studio but would probably be fine with that size w/ a tiny balcony, but I need at least a balcony nowdays.

4 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I understand - just thought if it was the "smallness" of the studio cabin that concerned you, then a larger inside would be better.  I have never been in a studio but would probably be fine with that size w/ a tiny balcony, but I need at least a balcony nowdays.

I am considering this, thank you for you input.

11 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I actually just called and asked.  It would be a good bit extra to get an inside on an undesirable deck 5 (I’m in a studio deck 12, between all cabin decks) and the reason the travel protection is double is it’s based on the cabin total price not “pre person”.  I have to say NCL has good customer service on the phone.  I was treated very well and he didn’t try to upsell me anything, he knew I made the right decision.  Gonna learn to love that studio!

• Like 1

Remember that your studio cabin booking includes access to the studio lounge -- a large shared living room space next to your small private bedroom/bathroom. You are gonna love that studio. Best value at sea. Complimentary good coffee and snacks too. Sometimes even cookies. Thank you Norwegian for treating the solos well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DorothyB said:

Actually I’ve done the Studios, as well as insides, and I find the studios are laid out better and there is more room to move around in them. 

One thing to keep in mind is Breakway’s balconies are glorified shelves. Seriously the smallest balconies, I have ever had. Maybe if you haven’t sailed them, see if you can see video/picture reviews.

I didn’t spend much time on mine. if I sail the Brekaway again, I would probably not upgrade the room but upgrade experiences-thermal spa, vibe etc. 

1 minute ago, lepidoptera said:

One thing to keep in mind is Breakway’s balconies are glorified shelves. Seriously the smallest balconies, I have ever had.

I'm on the Getaway in October so probably the same balconies.  I'm doing a "solo balcony".  Then going from that to a Prima haven owner's suite in January and then a Prima "solo balcony" at the end of Feb. 

39 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

Remember that your studio cabin booking includes access to the studio lounge -- a large shared living room space next to your small private bedroom/bathroom. You are gonna love that studio. Best value at sea. Complimentary good coffee and snacks too. Sometimes even cookies. Thank you Norwegian for treating the solos well.

Thank you that makes me feel better 

1 minute ago, DorothyB said:

I'm on the Getaway in October so probably the same balconies.  I'm doing a "solo balcony".  Then going from that to a Prima haven owner's suite in January and then a Prima "solo balcony" at the end of Feb. 

Oh nice! Are you doing the Owner’s suite solo? 

You’ll have to let me know how the solo balconies are. I just got off the Sun today in a solo balcony. I had 8275, which doesn’t have the super sized balcony of 8276, but was still a pretty nice cabin. The only real issue was it being over the theater, so I could hear practices and the performances for the musical acts. Normally not an issue, but I spent a couple of days it feeling well.

I have a “hump” balcony on Celebrity eclipse booked for October and then a large balcony booked on a family cruise (if it happens there is shenanigans happening) on the Epic in January. Both I’ll be in the cabin solo. 

The solo balconies are supposed to be just like the other balconies.  On the Getaway deck plans, category BT on decks 9 10 & 12.  Not really close to the studio lounge but that is ok.  After watching videos and seeing pictures, I'm hoping mine has the bed closer to the balcony door and the couch closer to the closet.

I'm sailing with 4 friends in January - 3 bedroom suite.  I've sailed with one couple several times and the other couple once several years ago.

6 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

Actually I’ve done the Studios, as well as insides, and I find the studios are laid out better and there is more room to move around in them. 

I sort of  agree on this. Not sure about "more room", but I found the studio on Bliss very cozy and less "claustrophobic" than an inside (not that I have a problem with claustrophobia and/or insides). 

• Like 1