Carpet Delivery

4 hours ago, millybess said:

The wall hanging is beautiful. Do you have a photo of the top of the quilt hanger?

It is 2 slats of wood that clamp together.  When I went looking for ways to hang it, some wanted to sew a pocket into the back.  I didn’t want to adulterate it any, and this allowed me to hang it without doing that.  If you google quilt hangers, you can find them.  I think this was an unstained cherry from an Amish workshop.  

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Viking has a list of vetted shops. When you buy, you sign the back so you can be sure the same one you bought is the one that is delivered. The official shops are state sponsored and the shipping is included because the government also subsidizes that.

To clarify ----- Viking (actually the excursion guide) provided a list (Kusadasi Shopping Guide) of "recommended" stores. The whole works was actually a TURA TURIZM document. I will post a scan if anyone is interested. Nothing of the sort was provided for Istanbul.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

They are quite beautiful. All hand knotted and colored using organic dyes. The wool is from Angora goats. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5139213ff0cfc95fe412c8f65e164117.jpeg

Are you referring to the rug (stunning!) pictured? I don't think all wool is necessarily Angora and I've read that silk is colored with commercial/synthetic dyes because natural doesn't work on silk. Actually, I've heard it both ways and have not yet gotten to the bottom of that one.

11 hours ago, Mike07 said:

I have it on my itinerary to do the Istanbul extension with Viking later this year. So, how do I go to these bazaars and shopping centers and not pay tourist prices but ensure the dude actually delivers me my rug and not a Chinese copy. I have no problems waiting 8-10 weeks

Not sure how a tourist avoids paying "tourist prices" - whatever those are. Some posters on this site - luckily enough - had a person in Turkey who knew the ropes, so to speak. Failing that I would probably go the "approved" list route in whatever port a list is available. Hiring a private guide from a well known/recommended service may also work well. Do lots of research. Below is the best "demonstration" video I found - this is one of the shops I was headed to:

• Thanks 1

Just to add: if you know a woodworker, they can build you a 'quilt hanger' very quickly and easily and in the size you need.  My brother has made a bunch of them for my mothers quilts.