What happens at Barbados Airport

Asking for someone whats the procedure how you get to the ship What happens never done carrabian so haven't  a clue to advise .How does transport work etc passport checking in etc so many questions 

58 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Asking for someone whats the procedure how you get to the ship What happens never done carrabian so haven't  a clue to advise .How does transport work etc passport checking in etc so many questions 

As long as you are on a P&O charter flight you walk off the plane at Barbados to a waiting coach. You then complete the final embarkation at the port, the same as in Southampton. Your luggage is taken directly to your cabin.

What Leomins says is true you have to fill in any necessary immigration info online before you go. Coming home you go back through the airport with your hand luggage which is checked through security and wait in the departure lounge which i found stifling hot despite the Big Ass fans (yes that is what they are called) so i had to change back into shorts at the airport which i had in my hand luggage just in case. As usual drinks and food not cheap at the airport.

• Haha 1

We walked down to the gates at Barbados airport, it was much cooler there. At the rear of the airport there is a tiny corner shop which sells chilled drinks and snacks very cheaply. They take card payments as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leomins said:

We walked down to the gates at Barbados airport, it was much cooler there. At the rear of the airport there is a tiny corner shop which sells chilled drinks and snacks very cheaply. They take card payments as well.

Yes whisper it but the area down by the gates at Barbados airport is much cooler.

Good to know about that tiny corner shop.

• 1 month later...

We are doing a Caribbean Cruise later in the year and our departure flight home from BGI to Man isn’t until the evening.

Will we still have to disembark Arvia early morning?
I’m presuming this to be the case so that they can get the cabins ready for the new arrivals.

If so I will make plans, rather than hanging around at the airport all day.

You have to be out of your cabin, but you dont have to disembark Arvia until the coach comes to take you to the airport.

You're free to explore Barbados or stay on the ship and use the facilities.

1 hour ago, PBest78 said:

You have to be out of your cabin, but you dont have to disembark Arvia until the coach comes to take you to the airport.

You're free to explore Barbados or stay on the ship and use the facilities.

Thank you, that helps. 

14 minutes ago, CCFC said:

We found the airport lounge upstairs a godsend at Barbados coming back.

How was it, a lot of the reviews say it's not worth bothering

In our experience, at least 3 hours and that is assuming that flights are on time. We are grateful that we never have to go to that airport again. Make of that what you will!!

59 minutes ago, pennib said:

In our experience, at least 3 hours and that is assuming that flights are on time. We are grateful that we never have to go to that airport again. Make of that what you will!!

Thanks, thought so.

It’s not our first time to Barbados, I’ve been going for over 40 years but it is our first time doing it as as package with the flights as part of the deal.

7 hours ago, PBest78 said:

How was it, a lot of the reviews say it's not worth bothering

We were lucky and unlucky at the same time. We went straight to the lounge as downstairs was very busy with little space to sit down, planes were constantly coming and going. We enjoyed the free usable wifi and free drinks and food, all for about $30 each. 

We were unlucky as our flight was delayed 2 hours, were were lucky that we were in the lounge as it meant we really got our moneys worth. I would use the lounge again without a doubt, the toilets were clean too.

We are flying to and from Antigua in January, hopefully they have a similar lounge.

Barbados airport lounge.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:40 AM, The Med said:

We are doing a Caribbean Cruise later in the year and our departure flight home from BGI to Man isn’t until the evening.

Will we still have to disembark Arvia early morning?
I’m presuming this to be the case so that they can get the cabins ready for the new arrivals.

If so I will make plans, rather than hanging around at the airport all day.

You can get a day cabin for about £40, we didn't leave for the airport till gone 4pm for a Manchester flight so it was money well spent for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldhsm said:

You can get a day cabin for about £40, we didn't leave for the airport till gone 4pm for a Manchester flight so it was money well spent for us.

Thats good to know. We intend going off and doing something for the day but it would be great to have a cabin to get a shower and a change of clothes before the flight home.

Is this something that they offer to all disembarking guests or only those in certain categories? 

We have done this many times. The cabin price is more expensive if you select a balcony instead of an inside. Also you need to be in the atrium for about 07.30 to get a chance of a cabin and expect long queues. The availability of day cabins is usually advertised in the horizon magazine a few days before you disembark. I’m afraid you need to get on the case early!! Good luck!

• Like 2

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. The system is as follows: the cabins are advertised in horizon about 4 days before disembarkation. This tells you the category of the cabins on offer, the price and when and where you can “pre book” them. On that day you need to be in the booking area at the latest 07.30 to join the queue ( this is usually somewhere in or near the atrium). You will be given a card setting out your cabin selection and the time you can gain entry. That is it. The charge goes on your on board account. The cabin key will be in the door at the time you need it. Sometimes you will be allocated the cabin you have been using for the cruise but this is rare and has never happened to us. Otherwise you will need to vacate your cruise cabin at the usual time (say 08.00) and take all your hand baggage with you. Cannot think of anything else but if still not clear, come back to this thread. The temporary cabin will have all your requirements such as shampoo, towels etc.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, solentsam said:

If you dont get a cabin, there is always the  gym's showers and changing rooms to use before you have to leave, but don't tell everyone though else it will be packed.

I didnt think the gym had changing rooms and showers.

I've seen lots of posts in the various fbook groups saying you have to change and shower in your cabin before/after the gym?

Edited by PBest78
spelling correction