Scavi Tours suspended Aug 19, 2024 - Nov 3, 2024

erby2283

9 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Just found out that Scavi tours from Aug 19, 2024 - Nov 3, 2024 are suspended due to archaeological work under St. Peter.  Bummer.  

Scavi.jpg

Bummer!

• Like 1

******sniff sniff*****

Now I need to find another tour to do - two of us have been there before and one won't want to go back again unless it's something different - while the third has never been at all. Of course I guess it all depends on whether we end up getting Underground Colosseum tickets.

I did notice that the day we arrive via plane (9 am), only 2 ships are in port but our next full day, there will be 5/6 ships! So even though we'll be tired, we may need to try and book the busier tourist areas for the day we arrive to avoid the larger crowds - albeit later in the day in case of plane delays. 

1 hour ago, erby2283 said:

******sniff sniff*****

Now I need to find another tour to do - two of us have been there before and one won't want to go back again unless it's something different - while the third has never been at all. Of course I guess it all depends on whether we end up getting Underground Colosseum tickets.

I did notice that the day we arrive via plane (9 am), only 2 ships are in port but our next full day, there will be 5/6 ships! So even though we'll be tired, we may need to try and book the busier tourist areas for the day we arrive to avoid the larger crowds - albeit later in the day in case of plane delays. 

If you can hold out getting Colosseum tickets, wait until one week before the day you want to visit it.  There are plenty of arena + SUPER sites available online.  You can see the underground from the arena. At least, that is the situation now.  You are taking a chance that they won't change it.

And we are leaving Rome November 3! 

PS - It looks like a lot of Charlotte people are heading to Rome this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

If you can hold out getting Colosseum tickets, wait until one week before the day you want to visit it.  There are plenty of arena + SUPER sites available online.  You can see the underground from the arena. At least, that is the situation now.  You are taking a chance that they won't change it.

And we are leaving Rome November 3! 

PS - It looks like a lot of Charlotte people are heading to Rome this year.

Thanks for the tip.  I guess I'll see if I'm lucky enough to grab tickets at the 30-day mark at zero dark thirty am (whenever it is they release tickets - lucky for me Aug 4th is a Sunday so I can stay up late...or early).  And if not, I'll try again a week before I go.  Is it the same website to get those Arena + Super tickets? 

Are you in Charlotte too?

1 minute ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks for the tip.  I guess I'll see if I'm lucky enough to grab tickets at the 30-day mark at zero dark thirty am (whenever it is they release tickets - lucky for me Aug 4th is a Sunday so I can stay up late...or early).  And if not, I'll try again a week before I go.  Is it the same website to get those Arena + Super tickets? 

Are you in Charlotte too?

Same site.

Not too far in the southern part of heaven.😁

• Like 1

Just now, marazul said:

Same site.

Not too far in the southern part of heaven.😁

Thank you.  I didn't know I was in such close proximity to such a wealth of Italian traveling knowledge. 🥰 

12 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Thank you.  I didn't know I was in such close proximity to such a wealth of Italian traveling knowledge. 🥰 

😁☺️