Radiance OTS vs Celebrity Summit for Alaska

It has been several years since we were on the Radiance OTS to Alaska. Just got off the Summit this past week to AK. May go back next summer. If you have been on both, wondering which ship you prefer for glacier viewing. Both have the same itinerary. Does the Radiance have the Hubbard Glacier small boat option? We got within about a half mile on Summit last week with the small boat. Thanks.

Radiance does the same Glacier Explorer as other ships, although VERY expensive.  

We have been on 2 Radiance and 6 Island/Coral Princess cruises to Alaska.  The Princess experience in Glacier Bay is far superior to anything on Royal.  And southbound Princess cruises also hit Hubbard Glacier with the same Glacier Explorer option.  But we do like sailing on Radiance and are doing it again in a few weeks.

Never sailed Celebrity to Alaska, but we do prefer Equinox to any of the smaller Royal ships.  My guess is that their glacier experience is identical to Royal's.  Still can't go into Glacier Bay.

57 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Radiance does the same Glacier Explorer as other ships, although VERY expensive.  

..... The Princess experience in Glacier Bay is far superior to anything on Royal................ Still can't go into Glacier Bay.

I guess my concern with the Radiance is cancellation due to the propulsion problems it has had in 2023 and as recently as late April this year. We have been to AK 3 times with Princess to see Glacier Bay. Also spent a few days in Gustavus on a separate AK trip. At this point, my wife prefers whale watching in Icy Strait and some land time. So it's RC or Celebrity. We have done 3 or 4 glacier boat excursions from the ship at Hubbard. Very nice.

We're loyal to RCI (40+ cruises) and have been on Radiance to Alaska a few times. However, we were recently on Celebrity Summit (Caribbean) and I can say we loved the Summit and would sail on that particular ship in a heart beat regardless of the itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're doing the northbound Radiance OTS on 07/12 from Vancouver, BC which ends in Seward, AK.  From there we're hopping on the train for a land tour portion which ends in Fairbanks.  2 days later, we're on the Summit for a southbound cruise from Seward, AK and finishes up in Vancouver, BC.  I'll let you know which ship we prefer! 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

We're doing the northbound Radiance OTS on 07/12 from Vancouver, BC which ends in Seward, AK.  From there we're hopping on the train for a land tour portion which ends in Fairbanks.  2 days later, we're on the Summit for a southbound cruise from Seward, AK and finishes up in Vancouver, BC.  I'll let you know which ship we prefer! 😉

Sounds like a lot of fun! Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:08 AM, Ashland said:

We're loyal to RCI (40+ cruises) and have been on Radiance to Alaska a few times. However, we were recently on Celebrity Summit (Caribbean) and I can say we loved the Summit and would sail on that particular ship in a heart beat regardless of the itinerary.

Did Canada/Greenland/Iceland on Summit last August and completely agree. Wonderful ship and staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1