Ruby Princess: Alaska 2024 / All OnBoard Time

Hi,

1)  Anyone know how early "All OnBoard Time" is scheduled for Alaskan Cruise?

To clarify:  If departure time is scheduled for "X" time, how early (eg. 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours etc.) is the "All OnBoard Time"?

If it helps, our info is as follows:

Ruby Princess (7 days roundtrip from Vancouver to Alaska  /  Glacier Bay Itinerary)

Ports:  Juneau, Skagway & Ketichan

2)  While in Alaska, does the cruise ship have their own ship time OR is ship time the same as the local Alaskan time? 

I understand that we have to either change our time forward or backward by 1 hour depending if we're heading north or south.

I don't want to be a pier runner because I confused ship time and local time.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Princess will adjust their time to match local time. They will put a small notification card in your cabin telling you to change the time. You are totally safe if you board an hour prior to sailing time. You can cut it down to half an hour but do not be late.

Edited by Thrak

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess will adjust their time to match local time. They will put a small notification card in your cabin telling you to change the time. You are totally safe if you board an hour prior to sailing time. You can cut it down to half an hour but do not be late.

Thank you for your explanation and reassurances.

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

This is not true in all ports that I have been to but if ship time and port time are different they make lots of announcements and it is on a sign as you get off ship b

1 hour ago, AZaTaz said:

This is not true in all ports that I have been to but if ship time and port time are different they make lots of announcements and it is on a sign as you get off ship b

Thanks!  I'll look for the signs in case they're different times.

• Like 1

I believe you are speaking about the latest time you have to return to the ship at 3 ports of call. In most cases there is a sign on the gangway indicating the time. That time is usually between 30 and 60 minutes before sailing from the port. If you are on your own don't be late the ship will leave without you.

If you are speaking about initial boarding in Vancouver you should plan arrival at the pier at least a few hours before the scheduled sailing time. Besides security you will have to pass through U.S. immigration in Vancouver.

Princess will change ship time to match local time. When you sail Vancouver either that evening or the next evening there will be a notification in your cabin to move your clocks back one (1) hour. Sailing back southbound from your last port of call you will again receive a notice to move your clocks forward one (1) hour. It's easy.

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

I believe you are speaking about the latest time you have to return to the ship at 3 ports of call. In most cases there is a sign on the gangway indicating the time. That time is usually between 30 and 60 minutes before sailing from the port. If you are on your own don't be late the ship will leave without you.

If you are speaking about initial boarding in Vancouver you should plan arrival at the pier at least a few hours before the scheduled sailing time. Besides security you will have to pass through U.S. immigration in Vancouver.

Princess will change ship time to match local time. When you sail Vancouver either that evening or the next evening there will be a notification in your cabin to move your clocks back one (1) hour. Sailing back southbound from your last port of call you will again receive a notice to move your clocks forward one (1) hour. It's easy.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  This is all very helpful information.

A caveat about time on the ship: Never trust a clock on Lido Deck. Since it's an analog clock I guess it will be correct twice a day but it's definitely not something to trust. It would be best to assume any clock you see on the ship is probably wrong.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

A caveat about time on the ship: Never trust a clock on Lido Deck. Since it's an analog clock I guess it will be correct twice a day but it's definitely not something to trust. It would be best to assume any clock you see on the ship is probably wrong.

Thanks for the warning!