Arlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas GBR excursion company?

We will be on a Celebrity cruise in March of 2025 to the Great Barrier Reef.  

Does Celebrity book the same company for GBR excursions out of all three ports?  (Arlie Beach, Yorkeys Knob, and Port Douglas).

All three excursions state that you board a catamaran and go to a special activity platform for snorkeling, swimming, etc.  (although the descriptions vary, they are fairly much alike)

We want to see as much of the GBR as possible, but if it's the same excursion to the same platform on all three, it's silly to pay for it 3 times.

If they go to different areas or platforms, that would be fine.  Just not sure if there are only a few of these type of platforms?  I can't seem to find specifics online.  

I appreciate all your help!  

I know you didn't ask this question, but I was on a Celebrity cruise in Mar 2024. No one told me that it's rainy season in the GBR at that time of year. Three out of our 4 planned excursions were rained out. You need to be prepared for torrential rain. I hope you have better weather.

22 minutes ago, sweetp0618 said:

I know you didn't ask this question, but I was on a Celebrity cruise in Mar 2024. No one told me that it's rainy season in the GBR at that time of year. Three out of our 4 planned excursions were rained out. You need to be prepared for torrential rain. I hope you have better weather.

Sorry, you didn't know it was the rainy season in far north Queensland in March. It is also cyclone season. Who did you expect to tell you? Perhaps a little research prior to booking the cruise and excursions would have helped.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hmcrn said:

We will be on a Celebrity cruise in March of 2025 to the Great Barrier Reef.  

Does Celebrity book the same company for GBR excursions out of all three ports?  (Arlie Beach, Yorkeys Knob, and Port Douglas).

All three excursions state that you board a catamaran and go to a special activity platform for snorkeling, swimming, etc.  (although the descriptions vary, they are fairly much alike)

We want to see as much of the GBR as possible, but if it's the same excursion to the same platform on all three, it's silly to pay for it 3 times.

If they go to different areas or platforms, that would be fine.  Just not sure if there are only a few of these type of platforms?  I can't seem to find specifics online.  

I appreciate all your help!  

Yorkey's Knob and Port Douglas - it is possible the same company is used but likely not. Airlie Beach definitely not. You go to different parts of the reef. It is roughly seven hundred kilometres between Airlie Beach and Port Douglas. Your experiences are likely to be similar though. I would suggest that you choose one port to go to the reef and do other activities on the other two days. 

Below are links to the reef companies' pontoons/platforms -

From Airlie Beach - 

Pontoon from Airlie Beach

From Yorkey's and Port Douglas -

Great Barrier Reef Activity Platform - Great Adventures Cruises | Great Adventures

Quicksilver Group Platform

Reef Magic Pontoon

Edited by possum52

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yorkey's Knob and Port Douglas - it is possible the same company is used but likely not. Airlie Beach definitely not. You go to different parts of the reef. It is roughly seven hundred kilometres between Airlie Beach and Port Douglas. Your experiences are likely to be similar though. I would suggest that you choose one port to go to the reef and do other activities on the other two days. 

Below are links to the reef companies' pontoons/platforms -

From Airlie Beach - 

Pontoon from Airlie Beach

From Yorkey's and Port Douglas -

Great Barrier Reef Activity Platform - Great Adventures Cruises | Great Adventures

Quicksilver Group Platform

Reef Magic Pontoon

Outstanding!  Thank you SO much - this really helps us to make decisions.  

13 hours ago, sweetp0618 said:

Cool - yes, i did see that it can be quite rainy.  Hoping for the best!  Another reason to perhaps have more than one GBR excursion just in case.  Thanks!