The Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience in 2024 and beyond

3 hours ago, df5250 said:

Regarding forward penthouse deck furniture, I was on the Jewel in Alaska in 9002 last summer where the furniture was never tied down.  However, on the Gem to Bermuda and Portland in 9002 a few weeks ago, all of the forward balcony’s furniture was tied down any time we were sailing or getting ready to sail. This was completely unexpected, and has me reconsidering forward facing balconies in the future in case this is a new thing!

@df5250 I was the one of many that said, my forward cabin had the furniture locked down every night. I think, key word thing, that something had happened with in the last 12 months to change this policy.  Like many things with cruises, the only thing consistent is inconsistency. Yet if you think about it, it does make sense that the cruise brand are doing this.  

The rear of the ship, which does not have the same wind issue, seems not to have the same situation.  However, it does have some smell issues and vibration on some ships. You just can't win.  

All that said, it is great information.  My next several cruises I have choose to be on one or the other side of the ship.  The most important part of this decision is CruiseCritic.com.  By embracing the area's that might be an issue, it allows up to be education and make decisions accordingly.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2024 at 4:38 PM, Sthrngary said:

I was the one of many that said, my forward cabin had the furniture locked down every night. I think, key word thing, that something had happened with in the last 12 months to change this policy.  Like many things with cruises, the only thing consistent is inconsistency. Yet if you think about it, it does make sense that the cruise brand are doing this.  

The rear of the ship, which does not have the same wind issue, seems not to have the same situation.  However, it does have some smell issues and vibration on some ships. You just can't win.  

It was while I was doing my research on the various cruise lines (as the Good Mrs. Benson will tell you, I don't so much as buy a stapler without devoting extensive research into the matter) that I discovered a curious thing.

Most cruise lines dedicate their premier suites and staterooms to the most forward and aft sections of their ships when, by all logic, amidships is the best location.  A stateroom amidships is equidistant to all of the ship's venues (one never has to walk more than half the ship's distance to get anywhere).  In terms of stability, an amidships stateroom rides the best in inclement weather or heavy seas.

Additionally, many of these cruise lines place their suites and upscale staterooms directly below the lido deck, where one would suffer bleed-over acoustics from the pool, the theatre, the clubs, and other events which result in the noise of music, scraping deck chairs, and so forth.

That's why Oceania, a line which, otherwise, we would love to experience, is off my list.  Its ships which go to places which we would wish to travel, and wouldn't bend my wallet too much out of shape, place all of their penthouse suites forward and under the noisiest venues.

That's one of the things which led me to select a Haven suite that's not in the Haven proper on Norwegian Joy.  It was located amidships (yet, only a one-minute elevator ride to the Haven proper).  It was an easy stroll to any venue on the ship, free of any bleed-over noises, and rode smooth as silk.  On the last day of our cruise, we caught got in the rim of a hurricane, and while one endured the aggravated heaving of the ship in other locations, our suite was calm and steady.

That's why if one of the more deluxe suites on board were offered to me for the same, or even reduced, fare, I would turn it down.  The accompanying wind and furniture issues, and potential motion of heavy seas, aren't worth the more upscale lodging.

I don't understand why cruise lines insist on putting their most expensive cabins in the least desirable locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

I don't understand why cruise lines insist on putting their most expensive cabins in the least desirable locations.

of course, desireable has many meanings.

we prefer suites on the aft end of the ship.  We value the great views more than the stability of the middle sections.

YMMV.

• Like 1

Hey everybody! Long time lurker. I made it through this thread and appreciate all the different takes and breadth of knowledge. Per OP's request I wanted to share our experience sailing in the Haven.

We are soon to be 40 years old couple with two littles under 8 years old sailed in a 2 Bedroom Haven on Prima this past January on a 7 night itinerary. This was our first ever family cruise, my personal first cruise while it's my wife's second with her first being 10+ years ago. I had held out for the longest time from cruising primarily due to my very superficial knowledge of them. The adage of "don't knock it until you've tried it" couldn't be more true in this instance. 

When our annual plans to visit a Hawaiian island were canceled we started looking at what to do to escape our Midwest Winter. Wife brought up the cruise option. I went deep into the rabbit hole. The prospect of having 20-30% of the ship exclusive to 10% of the passengers to escape the crowds was admittedly what sold it. I booked the 2 bedroom cabin on the Prima out of Galveston. 

The experience was very very positive. In fact I had not experienced this level of pampering and customer care prior. We lucked out with a great butler (Joel). We thought the food was great at the Haven restaurant. We did dine at specialty restaurants 4 times with our FAS + and thought that food was also lovely. Admittedly the novelty never wore off to be frank. I did find the two bedroom cabin fantastic since once we got the kids tucked in in their room for the night, the wife and I were able to go to our balcony for a nice drink or late night dessert without disturbing them. 

For Springbreak I ended up booking us on MSC's Seascape in their YC. Much bigger ship and different ambiance all around. I admit I found the rotating daily lunch and dinner menus to be very nice compared to the static one at the Haven. For me the biggest difference was the cabin size. On MSC we were in a normal balcony "suite?" which was quite small compared to the spacious 2 bedroom on NCL. Furthermore, once the kids were tucked in for the night in the pullout sofa bed, we lost access to our balcony.

Overall I personally have no issues going back to either. In fact we're booked on a 14 nights on Prima this coming January 2025. Before that though, I'm also booked on NCL's sister company Regent Seven Seas for the Mrs' 40th birthday this coming November. For this trip it's just going to be the two of us sans children.

Excited to eventually try different itineraries and cruise companies. We have a booking on Disney next Summer so we will see how it measures up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

DH and I have sailed on Regent a few times and are about to try NCL Viva in The Haven (we got upgraded to a two-bedroom family suite, which is probably way too big for us, but we are not complaining).  I have been reading this thread and find it quite useful.  Thank you to all who have contributed.

• Thanks 1