Pre Cruise Purchases - Prepaid Visa Gift Card?

Hi friends, I’m hoping someone can help me out with a question I have.

I cruise the first week of August and I’m looking to make some pre-Cruise purchases such as the beverage package, with a Visa prepaid gift card that I received as a gift. 

i’ve searched on the Royal Caribbean website and see that you cannot use prepaid gift cards for onboard purchases, but it doesn’t mention anything regarding pre-cruise purchases. Has anyone use a prepaid Visa gift card or know if it’s allowed? 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I would think it'd work fine for cruise planner purchases. Give it a try.

I've tried and had more trouble than they are worth.  It has something to do with prepaid visa hold on a pending transaction.  I'm sure there are others who might be able to explain this better but essentially you are only able to purchase about 80% of what is on the gift card.  Also for things like drink packages, their cost would exceed the amount of most gift cards.

I guess if you had a $1000 prepaid visa it would all be fine but a bunch of $100 gift cards is just a pain in the butt to try and use on the cruise planner/.