Onboard activities question

Lazz58

My wife and I have been cruising since the late 1980s.  All of our cruises have been on "Mass Market"  cruise ships with the vast majority on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  We have been researching cruising in the Pacific, especially Polynesia.  I see the Silversea's Whisper tours that area.  We are very active people use to being very busy on ship.  We enjoy the evening shows, trivia contests, line dancing classes, etc.  Will Silverseas have anything like these activites, or do we bring a good book and expect the ship's corridors to roll up at 10pm?  Thanks in advance

Silversea does have nightly entertainment and the shows can be really good and sometimes not so much.  Supposedly RCL is now using their larger corporate contract(s) and that hopefully has helped.  There are daily trivia contest.  I think I’ve only seen one dancing class of any kind and assume that is dependent on the talents of the relatively small show members.   Other contests may or may not include ping pong, putting, and blackjack tournaments but I can’t say each and every cruise has those.  Longer cruises with more sea days have the most variety.  Truth is Silversea cruises are more relaxing and quiet versus mass market large ship cruises. 

On 6/30/2024 at 6:41 PM, Randyk47 said:

Silversea does have nightly entertainment and the shows can be really good and sometimes not so much.  Supposedly RCL is now using their larger corporate contract(s) and that hopefully has helped.  There are daily trivia contest.  I think I’ve only seen one dancing class of any kind and assume that is dependent on the talents of the relatively small show members.   Other contests may or may not include ping pong, putting, and blackjack tournaments but I can’t say each and every cruise has those.  Longer cruises with more sea days have the most variety.  Truth is Silversea cruises are more relaxing and quiet versus mass market large ship cruises. 

We recently completed a Silver Whisper 10-day cruise that was very port intensive. They still had all the activities Randyk47 mentioned most days (plus Bingo), with 6 teams of 6-8 each for Trivia, good entertainment each evening, and we had an excellent lecturer as well. However, I agree it is quieter and more relaxing than mass market lines, and quieted down particularly after 11PM (possibly because of early morning port excursions). I believe the larger Silversea ships have a few more activities like the S.A.L.T cooking classes. We still found plenty to do, but we may not be as active as you are.

It is really nice never having to wait in line for anything on the premium/luxury lines, not being charged for every little extra, and having good personalized service. You may find it is worth the tradeoff.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2024 at 10:24 AM, Lazz58 said:

My wife and I have been cruising since the late 1980s.  All of our cruises have been on "Mass Market"  cruise ships with the vast majority on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  We have been researching cruising in the Pacific, especially Polynesia.  I see the Silversea's Whisper tours that area.  We are very active people use to being very busy on ship.  We enjoy the evening shows, trivia contests, line dancing classes, etc.  Will Silverseas have anything like these activites, or do we bring a good book and expect the ship's corridors to roll up at 10pm?  Thanks in advance

I’ll be taking my first Silversea cruise in September, so I can’t speak from experience yet, but I thought I’d suggest looking at Paul Gauguin cruises if you’re looking at cruising French Polynesia. The ship is small and intimate and it’s a higher-end experience, specifically specializing in French Polynesia. We took a cruise with them a couple of years ago and they have “cultural ambassadors” on board that are born and raised in the islands. They provide entertainment, singing, dancing, and speaking about the islands as well as craft classes and other activities. 

• Like 1