Port of Timaru NZ

hi,

Never been to this port, and not a lot to be found regarding things to do.

I was thinking of maybe a hire car to get to Lake Tekapo?

Are there hire places there in port?

Or a bus trip maybe?

There are 4 of us.

Is this trip a good idea, other suggestions please if you have been there and what to do.

a quick google search shows some car hire places in Timaru - you could contact them to check availability and if they will allow you to pick up from the port?

Lake Tekapo is a nice spot, but there's not a huge amount of things to do there, but it is  very picturesque on a good day

image.png.6805544821a034935aa54d09a9eadb88.png

• Thanks 1

The drive from Timaru to Tekapo is absolutely beautiful, I think it's a great idea for a day trip.  There's hot springs at Tekapo but if you're not into that it's just a lovely place to stop awhile and look around. 

• Thanks 1

Timaru itself is a lovely small town. The shuttle bus drops you at the tourist information place, which is in a converted historical building, and has helpful staff and an arts and crafts shop. On cruise ship days, there is a small market in the square right outside.  Next to this is a great pub in another historical building, and they have an outside courtyard, which had live jazz music when I was there.

A very short walk brings you to the main street, which has some interesting shops and a few places to eat, and a bank with an ATM, if you need NZ currency. 

That's all I did on my shore day in Timaru, but when I got back to the ship on the shuttle bus, I saw we were berthed adjacent to a lovely big bay with a long sandy beach, where people were swimming and canoeing.

Enjoy the arrival and departure of the ship. Timaru has a difficult entrance and exit for large cruise ships, and it takes skill to berth there, so well worth watching the manoeuvres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone,  we might wait until visit and see what the weather is doing, good to know there's an information centre to see what to do.

Maybe a Lake visit,  or Maybe even a bike hire? 

We hired bikes in Gisbourne it was fun