Looking at booking our 2nd Alaska cruise

RACRUZE

4 minutes ago, RACRUZE said:

Thank you all. So Vancouver doesn't do inside passage back to Vancouver anymore?  That is what we did last time we did this cruise, it was on the Sun.  I was hoping we coukd do that again, because we could fly to Vancover the morning the day the ship leaves and then fly home the day we disembark too,that way don't need a hotel stay.

Yes it does, went through the area and but at night so we can could not see it. Normally you are going through that area in the early evening of your last day. Our delay caused us to go through the there at night.

17 minutes ago, RACRUZE said:

Thank you all. So Vancouver doesn't do inside passage back to Vancouver anymore?  That is what we did last time we did this cruise, it was on the Sun.  I was hoping we coukd do that again, because we could fly to Vancover the morning the day the ship leaves and then fly home the day we disembark too,that way don't need a hotel stay.

If you are leaving on The Jewel from Vancouver to Seward or Seward to Vancouver, you should do both the Lower and Upper Inside Passage.  The larger ships like The Bliss and Encore are TOO large to navigate some of the straits of the Lower Inside Passage.  I have been told that both the Encore and the Bliss can navigate at least some of the Upper Inside Passage.

On 7/2/2024 at 8:44 AM, RACRUZE said:

I have noticed these extra perks free at sea.  Are these perks actually free or are there restrictions with them?

We sailed on ncl to Alaska in 2006 and loved it and are wanting to go back as our retirement gift to each other.  Only other cruise we have been on was carnival to the Caribbean in 2009.  I prefer the Cruise where I am not in on water for days, I like Alaska as we could see land all the cruise up the inside passage.  Also what port is better Vancouver or Seattle?

The perks are free BUT you will have to pay gratuities.

I recommend you look closely at NCL ports/times. 
I looked at several this summer & in Ketchikan & Juneau the port times were 630AM-130PM & the Juneau stop required a tender & a bus into town. I realiized this cuts your time in port A LOT (after we did that in Dublin in April). If you aren't on the 1st or 2nd tender over, you may only have an hour or 2 there--and honestly, WHAT is open that early?

I'm not saying don't sail NCL--just be sure to pay attention to that.

Both ports are fine are quite nice; SWA doesn't fly into Vancouver if that is a factor. 

SWA is usually our carrier of choice, but it was cheaper & we got better flights on Alaska Air to SEA & United home from Vancouver--YMMV.

Either port I would plan on a day or two in--we love Seattle & Vancouver. Lots to see around both port areas.

Have only sailed Princess & RCCL to AK; I'd do either again but small edge to Princess.

Hi RACRUZE,

Just weighing in again. 

Based on your previous response, it seems like you live in British Columbia (BC).  And, while Vancouver may seem close, BC is a really big place!  If you’re flying in from Victoria, there are plenty of flights day-of.  If you’re flying in from Fort St. John… not so much. 

That said, depending on where you live, you might consider flying into Vancouver the day before your cruise.  There are a number of hotels near the airport that are (relatively) inexpensive compared to the port area and you can still catch the SkyTrain downtown the morning of your cruise. 

Just a thought.

Lita

Edited by cruiser1961