Live from the Land of Princess

Back on board I had a quick shower because I had booked a hot stone aromatherapy massage. I left my phone in the cabin to charge so don’t have any photos of the Lotus spa on the Regal.

It is huge, elegant and a world apart from the spa on the Island.

I had booked a port day special which was 75 minutes for the price of 50 minutes plus the massage therapist gave me an additional 10 minutes. I also won a $50 spa credit at the art gallery on day one.

This was not only the best hot stone massage but also the best massage I’ve ever had. Ever. Nadia was incredible and I was in another world after those heavenly 85 precious minutes.

I hadn’t eaten since breakfast and it was 7:00pm so my stomach was growling. The food in Horizon Court was cold and tasted like disappointment. I did a dinner do-over and had a slice of pizza from

Prego Pizzeria then went to the production show.

The pre-show announcement requested that no photos be posted on social media so I am respecting that. The show was Fiera and it was more costume and fluff than substance. I lasted 20 minutes then ducked out.

This wasn’t a bad thing because we were late leaving Greenock so I found a comfy chair near Crooners, ordered a French 75, felt elegant and watched the stunning sail away.

IMG_0946.thumb.jpeg.e884e062181890160cb969a272cf42b3.jpeg

IMG_0944.thumb.jpeg.f23706ad1b8c379184e33d6159ede455.jpeg

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

Vancouver friends reading this, can someone please check in a grocery store to see if the Branston pickles contain anchovies or Worcestershire sauce? I know Save On Foods sells this product.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

@Muckyduckway, where do you live (if you feel comfortable sharing.  If not I understand.)

Northern Ireland - unfortunately you didn't come to see us (this time!), but while there are some unique things here, we share many landscapes and ways of life with the rest of the British Isles.

• Like 3

When I entered the Vista lounge for the Lightning Fast Art Auction this afternoon the wonderful art lady said, “Hi Yvonne! Great to see you! Did you do something different with your hair?”

Me: “I washed it!”

• Haha 15

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Vancouver friends reading this, can someone please check in a grocery store to see if the Branston pickles contain anchovies or Worcestershire sauce? I know Save On Foods sells this product.

IMG_4118.jpeg

IMG_4119.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Does anyone know if there is a bar on board that serves Guinness? I would like to try a little sip.

Crown Grill bar has Guinness....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@YVRteacher I am so enjoying your reports and your photos are stunning! Or as the British might say, "Brilliant!" I find myself checking several times just to keep up 🙂 I know you said you are doing another cruise after this (with your father?) but on NCL, I think -- I will have to jump over to that board to keep following along! 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I just found that! It’s the Wheelhouse bar on this ship.

Tonight’s the night! I’m going to try Guinness!

You could go full Irish and get it with a shot of Baileys. IYKYK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

@YVRteacher I am so enjoying your reports and your photos are stunning! Or as the British might say, "Brilliant!" I find myself checking several times just to keep up 🙂 I know you said you are doing another cruise after this (with your father?) but on NCL, I think -- I will have to jump over to that board to keep following along! 

Thank you for reading! Yes, I’m on the NCL Jewel with my dad for a B2B from Vancouver to Seward and back.  I have written so many trip reports from the Jewel to Alaska that I won’t be doing another one this summer.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2024 at 7:35 AM, WisCruiser2 said:

You convinced me - I jumped on the weekend sail to book this cruise for next year! We will celebrate my birthday in Nanortalik (hopefully) and our 50th anniversary at sea 🙂

I’m hunting for this cruise next year, but can’t find it.   Can you share ship & date?   Thanks

• Like 1

*I apologize in advance if this post is offensive to some.

Last night I was sitting in Crooners, writing, sipping my French 75 and enjoying sail away when a disaster occurred. It sounded like a feral cat was slowly being tortured. The guy next to me and I both immediately flinched in shock. 

Bagpipes.

Can you imagine bagpipes amplified throughout the piazza? I couldn’t even take the trombone, but the bagpipes were next level loud.

The wife of flinching man looked it up in the Patter and said “it’s 15 minutes…

…of torture!” This couple told me that on their shore excursion bus tour to Glasgow they had to endure 4 bagpipe songs.

IMG_0947.thumb.jpeg.c7a29a721da8755708b38cd419b7aa45.jpeg

IMG_0948.thumb.jpeg.d056cae645003171a570d7bc207773ef.jpeg

IMG_0949.thumb.jpeg.596e85ca9f8ea695ac399f7ebd8fc784.jpeg

I have teenage trauma from bagpipes. If you recall I mentioned earlier that my parents were professional dancers and are in the Guinness Book of World Records. 
They were Scottish Country Dancers and they practiced a lot. Both my mom and my dad loved the bagpipes so much they had cassette tape holders bursting with bagpipe music tapes. 

My parents were the chaperone types so they were always the ones volunteering to drive. They drove to Girl Guide camp, Band Camp, and grade 7 camp.

Can you imagine the mortification of being 13 and having your parents drive you and 6 classmates to camp 3 hours away to the soundtrack of bagpipes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 23

I’m doing it! I’m trying my first Guinness!

I assumed it would be on tap but they only have a can. The bartender pointed to the tap of Newcastle and said I should try it because it is “just like Guinness.” (Insert eye roll here!)

He poured it and I said “that doesn’t look anything like Guinness!”

IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.d778ee758d30b0f4b1132b7931c9daf7.jpeg

I really wanted to try Guinness so now I have a whole can when all I want is a sip. The bartender didn’t even pour it for me: he just plunked the can on the counter.

IMG_0970.thumb.jpeg.17972c3fb565251111b1b22a782eaad6.jpeg

• Like 6