Norwegian Joy Haven

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Tub too low, water overflows, floor gets wet, potential slip and fall.

There's potential for injury either way.

Tub too low? How high do you think the showers are? Lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Tub too low? How high do you think the showers are? Lol

When you take a bath, you generally run the water first.  Once you get in, the water is displaced significantly and can go over the sides if you estimated incorrectly.  As long as the drain is open during a shower, I think you're good.

15 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

When you take a bath, you generally run the water first.  Once you get in, the water is displaced significantly and can go over the sides if you estimated incorrectly.  As long as the drain is open during a shower, I think you're good.

You've never seen me shower on a cruise ship! The floor gets absolutely flooded, because of those d@mned crappily sealed glass doors.

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You've never seen me shower on a cruise ship! The floor gets absolutely flooded, because of those d@mned crappily sealed glass doors.

You have this problem in a bathtub shower?

8 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

You have this problem in a bathtub shower?

Nah. I'm thinking specifically about the stand alone shower in 13902 on Getaway. I was just comparing my experience creating apocalyptic floods in showers to yours in tubs. 

It's not just 13902 though. Most hotels that have those stupid glass doors also allow for epic floods in the bathroom! Maybe I'm just unskilled at shower taking. 

You never know what you're going to get when you open a thread.  I definitely wasn't expecting a slew of posts about bathtubs.  That said my room will have one so I will be careful not to stub my toe entering or exiting 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Another vote for getting rid of the stupid tubs and showers. If you are tall, you are very close to the showerhead. Plus, you get the "lovely" view of the top bar. I think I looked just over it myself.  Our next Haven Cabin will be one of the forward-facing suites as they have real showers!!  (and they cost a lot less than the Aft suites)

I love all the varied Haven cabins on the Joy, though, as they are the best way to introduce oneself to Haven cruising!

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Nah. I'm thinking specifically about the stand alone shower in 13902 on Getaway. I was just comparing my experience creating apocalyptic floods in showers to yours in tubs. 

Thankfully, I've never flooded a tub on a ship or otherwise!

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 4:55 AM, GCWNJ said:

I leave in about 10 days on the Joy out of NYC and we're staying in a Haven room for the first time.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to make the most of this experience and tips anyone has.  How was embarkation? Haven dining room?  Any problems finding a chair on the outside Haven deck?  Anything you can offer on your experience it much appreciated.  

My Two cents:  Once you do Haven you will never sail any other way. Be clear what you want/expect from butler/cabin steward on day one.  Do want them to unpack/pack for you?  Do you want them to draw you a bubble bath? What snacks do you prefer (M&M's, gummy bear, cut fruit, mini BLT(our favorite), etc.  Do you want ice 2x/day, pitchers of iced water or iced tea/lemonade in refrigerator etc.  Do you want a certain type of pillow, more blankets, lighter blankets etc. They are not mind readers tell them what you like/dislike.  Pro tip, Standing breakfast order in cabin on balcony for French press coffee, almond croissants, fruit.  The Haven restaurant has great food, but a standing menu. The avo toast is my favorite for breakfast, the crab cakes for lunch also great. Hubby loved the french dip w/ onion rings.  Our fav Specialty dining was Cagney, and Le Bistro.   Tip well. Relax and have fun

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trhelt said:

My Two cents:  Once you do Haven you will never sail any other way. Be clear what you want/expect from butler/cabin steward on day one.  Do want them to unpack/pack for you?  Do you want them to draw you a bubble bath? What snacks do you prefer (M&M's, gummy bear, cut fruit, mini BLT(our favorite), etc.  Do you want ice 2x/day, pitchers of iced water or iced tea/lemonade in refrigerator etc.  Do you want a certain type of pillow, more blankets, lighter blankets etc. They are not mind readers tell them what you like/dislike.  Pro tip, Standing breakfast order in cabin on balcony for French press coffee, almond croissants, fruit.  The Haven restaurant has great food, but a standing menu. The avo toast is my favorite for breakfast, the crab cakes for lunch also great. Hubby loved the french dip w/ onion rings.  Our fav Specialty dining was Cagney, and Le Bistro.   Tip well. Relax and have fun

@Trhelt Welcome to CruiseCritic.com.  The Haven is nice, no question.  Yet, and coming from me who love the Haven, it is important to know it is not the only choice based on what you want to achieve in your next cruising experience.  That is why their are so many categories (Mainstream, Premium, Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury).  Also so many ship sized (Small, medium, large and Mega).  When you want quite with no families, you go one way.  When you want luxury, port intensive, and all-inclusive; you go another way.  

Options is the key.  I have been writing for years on how to gain every single once of value from your Haven Experience.  Fun stuff.  Yet, we all have to make a decision on exactly what we want in our future cruising experience.  All avenues should be open which means, we all get to cruise anyway we want. I LOVE CRUISING.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Trhelt Welcome to CruiseCritic.com.  The Haven is nice, no question.  Yet, and coming from me who love the Haven, it is important to know it is not the only choice based on what you want to achieve in your next cruising experience.  That is why their are so many categories (Mainstream, Premium, Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury).  Also so many ship sized (Small, medium, large and Mega).  When you want quite with no families, you go one way.  When you want luxury, port intensive, and all-inclusive; you go another way.  

Options is the key.  I have been writing for years on how to gain every single once of value from your Haven Experience.  Fun stuff.  Yet, we all have to make a decision on exactly what we want in our future cruising experience.  All avenues should be open which means, we all get to cruise anyway we want. I LOVE CRUISING.

Do you have recommendations for where to read a good comparison of the cruise line categories? My family has toyed with the idea of going with a non-mainstream cruise line in the future, but I'm trying to do some research that would get me direct comparisons and help us figure out what best suits our goals.

11 minutes ago, back2cruising1 said:

Do you have recommendations for where to read a good comparison of the cruise line categories? My family has toyed with the idea of going with a non-mainstream cruise line in the future, but I'm trying to do some research that would get me direct comparisons and help us figure out what best suits our goals.

It may be easier to expand upon your goals here. We may be able to help. I'd also highly recommend you check out some of the other Cruise Critic forums. Sure, some lines aren't represented (i.e. Uncruise), but it'll give you a taste for some of the lines. Look for the lives. Those are the most helpful, most interesting, and best ways to figure out if a cruise line is for you. 

Ignore some of the pedantic arguments we Criticers get ourselves into. 

This is a good video, even if it is old. It provides a great idea of what category each line falls into: https://www.tipsfortravellers.com/cruise-line-categories/

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It may be easier to expand upon your goals here. We may be able to help. I'd also highly recommend you check out some of the other Cruise Critic forums. Sure, some lines aren't represented (i.e. Uncruise), but it'll give you a taste for some of the lines. Look for the lives. Those are the most helpful, most interesting, and best ways to figure out if a cruise line is for you. 

Ignore some of the pedantic arguments we Criticers get ourselves into. 

This is a good video, even if it is old. It provides a great idea of what category each line falls into: https://www.tipsfortravellers.com/cruise-line-categories/

Thank you for your response! The main reasons we are looking at other cruise lines (and why we are doing Haven for the cruise we have booked) is because of two issues: food and crowds. We aren't people who need the most interesting, avant-garde food out there, but we have been disappointed in what has been, in our opinion, a degradation in the quality of food over the past few decades. We used to always sail Royal Caribbean, but we are sad to see that offerings like good steaks, lobster, etc. have become rarities in the main dining room on RCCL.

We also don't really love the giant mega ships. We are not crowds people, and we are definitely not looking for a party atmosphere. We don't need really small (like less than 1000), but we are also not opposed to it. The thing we're trying to avoid is the 5,000+ passenger mega ships. 

We also value service. We know that the crew on every ship is working their tails off to give the best service they can, but sometimes they are overwhelmed on the larger ships because there are just so many people.

4 hours ago, back2cruising1 said:

Thank you for your response! The main reasons we are looking at other cruise lines (and why we are doing Haven for the cruise we have booked) is because of two issues: food and crowds. We aren't people who need the most interesting, avant-garde food out there, but we have been disappointed in what has been, in our opinion, a degradation in the quality of food over the past few decades. We used to always sail Royal Caribbean, but we are sad to see that offerings like good steaks, lobster, etc. have become rarities in the main dining room on RCCL.

We also don't really love the giant mega ships. We are not crowds people, and we are definitely not looking for a party atmosphere. We don't need really small (like less than 1000), but we are also not opposed to it. The thing we're trying to avoid is the 5,000+ passenger mega ships. 

We also value service. We know that the crew on every ship is working their tails off to give the best service they can, but sometimes they are overwhelmed on the larger ships because there are just so many people.

@back2cruising1 Crystal Cruises is a nice smaller ship, with excellent service and food. Oceania Cruises which is a sister to NCL has about the same size ship as Crystal.  I give both the edge on food and service to Crystal but close.  I love the Haven and the mega ships.  Yet when you leave the Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club and go to the rest of the ship, the service and food quality is simply not the same.  Other worthy names of brands seems to be Explora Journey which is owned by MSC.  

The key to me is when I leave my stateroom, regardless of that cost of that stateroom, I everyone is treated the same.  I also like when most everything is included with the exception of excursions or transfers.  Every brand is a little different here but relatively easy to cross check.  What I have found out and other have as well; you can find cruses in the Luxury/Ultra-Luxury categories at about the same as what one might pay in the Haven, Retreat and Yacht Club.  What you give up is water slides, Broadway entertainment, Lasor tag and go-cart tracks.  Those are the type of attractions you need a Mega Ship for.  Hope that helps you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@back2cruising1 Crystal Cruises is a nice smaller ship, with excellent service and food. Oceania Cruises which is a sister to NCL has about the same size ship as Crystal.  I give both the edge on food and service to Crystal but close.  I love the Haven and the mega ships.  Yet when you leave the Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club and go to the rest of the ship, the service and food quality is simply not the same.  Other worthy names of brands seems to be Explora Journey which is owned by MSC.  

The key to me is when I leave my stateroom, regardless of that cost of that stateroom, I everyone is treated the same.  I also like when most everything is included with the exception of excursions or transfers.  Every brand is a little different here but relatively easy to cross check.  What I have found out and other have as well; you can find cruses in the Luxury/Ultra-Luxury categories at about the same as what one might pay in the Haven, Retreat and Yacht Club.  What you give up is water slides, Broadway entertainment, Lasor tag and go-cart tracks.  Those are the type of attractions you need a Mega Ship for.  Hope that helps you.

This is super helpful, thank you for taking the time to explain!

• Thanks 1

Good points.

I pick the ship, and then pick if I want to sail in the Haven on that ship.

Royal, NCL, etc have BIG ships.  If you don't like that experience, they also have smaller ships.

But, there are other brands that have smaller ships and are considered "luxury" lines.

Food?  It's changed over the years, that's for certain.  Is it better or worse?  That's the debatable part.

Lots of folks here talk about Lobster.  Personally, I don't care one way or the other for Lobster.  For seafood, I prefer scallops, shrimp, sea bass....all before I'd order lobster.

Steak?  It really depends.  I've had really good steak (mostly in the Haven restaurant).  I've also had really good Prime Rib in the Garden Cafe buffet.  I've had mediocre steak in Cagney's, the NCL steak specialty restaurant.

Tough to argue the Haven experience.  From what I gather, a few have had issues with Butlers.  I don't use them much, so their services are lost on me.  Concierges, on the other hand, I use a lot.  All of the ones I've had have been sterling.  The bartenders, the waitstaff in the Haven venues have always been outstanding (one of the Haven bartenders on the Joy was less engaging....didn't make him bad, though).

Have sailed in Celebrity's Retreat and MSC's Yacht Club.  Mostly the same with minor differences between all of them.  All were quite good.

I have not sailed the likes of Oceania.  Some have tried to make financial cases for sailing the luxury lines.  I have NEVER been able to shop them and make that case for me personally.  Then again, I have NEVER paid over $4.8K for a Haven/Retreat/YC cabin.  I'd say mostly I've paid $4,500 or under for the Haven...all in.  So, the financial equation works better for me with the Haven.  Takes some shopping, but the Haven deals are out there.

Based on all that, I doubt I'd ever be a customer for the lux lines.  They just aren't tempting enough for me to try!

I like the BIG ships, with lots to see and do.  But, different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2