What’s The Downside — Celebrity Flights

On 7/4/2024 at 12:38 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Several things come to mind and might not apply to all airlines.

Cannot pick your own seat

Will not get free luggage on an airline branded credit card

Less control over flight changes

Will not get double miles since you are not paying the airline directly on the branded CC

Might not get miles at all

Less of a choice of flights, times and airlines

We booked air to Alaska through Celebrity when it looked like cruises would be cancelled due to Covid. When we decided to cancel the cruise we were able to cancel the air also. This is the only time we saw an advantage to flights by Celebrity.

If you have elite status you will not upgraded going through X.

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

If you have elite status you will not upgraded going through X.

It varies by airline and depends on how they handle TA bookings like FBC.  One needs to ensure their FBC/TA flight is appearing on the airline's website because if your airline loyalty number isn't properly linked, not a chance of an upgrade.  Generally speaking, booking through a TA like FBC results in a lower (most often referred to as "discounted") fare class than booking directly with the airline and therefore slightly moves you down a rung on the upgrade list

Posted (edited)

I'll give you a downside... Even though I picked my seats they have been rearranged and they sat all four of my family in separate seats including my two younger daughters.  This happened the day before (as we fly out tomorrow) so not anything I can do.  Looks like it's a full flight.  Not thrilled with this obviously but I also can't say where the fault lies.  Likely with Delta but this was booked through Celebrity.  That and I now am being assigned a set at the gate... the only one who doesn't have an assigned seat out of my party.

Edited by Trent0341

1 minute ago, Trent0341 said:

I'll give you a downside... Even though I picked my seats they have been rearranged and they seat all four of my family in separate seats including my two younger daughters.  This happened the day before (as we fly out tomorrow) so not anything I can do.  Looks like its a full flight.  Not thrilled with this obviously but I also can't say where the fault lies.  Likely its with Delta.

Often, this has something to do with what they call in the industry "deadheads" who are aircrew/pilots on non-revenue tickets that the airline deems essential to get them to a different airport.  This was what happened in 2017 when a doctor was dragged off a plane and ultimately concussed, the crew needed to get four passengers to give up their seats for the four deadheads.  This was the first time something like this happened, yet it went viral because it was the perfect storm (he was a doctor, the video showed he was not physically resisting and it shows his head was bloodied) and that ultimately got all the US carriers to up the $$$ they can offer to get passengers to voluntary give up their seat

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Often, this has something to do with what they call in the industry "deadheads" who are aircrew/pilots on non-revenue tickets that the airline deems essential to get them to a different airport.  This was what happened in 2017 when a doctor was dragged off a plane and ultimately concussed, the crew needed to get four passengers to give up their seats for the four deadheads.  This was the first time something like this happened, yet it went viral because it was the perfect storm (he was a doctor, the video showed he was not physically resisting and it shows his head was bloodied) and that ultimately got all the US carriers to up the $$$ they can offer to get passengers to voluntary give up their seat

Thanks... Delta managed to get my youngest daughter and wife together and was very nice about it all so it worked out.

• Like 1